Aspartame in Milk?

Options

Replies

• mommamisty823
    Options
    glad that I don't drink flavored milk, or cow's milk. My daughter LOVES the stuff though (yes, I let her drink flavored milk on occasion, and she does drink whole milk.....she's a little under-weight so I don't mind her having the extra calories).
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think it's fantastic. Except those that are legitimitly intolerent to it there is no logical reason to think it's unsafe to consume. Making a conclusion based on one or two studies that confirm your belief with out looking at the rest of the science is an illogical way to come to a conclusion and ranges from silly to irresponsible when passing on "information" to others.

I would be incredibly suprised if they didn't label it, and even more surprised if they didn't offer both with or with-out. If for what-ever reason you don't like it (flavor, don't trust it's healthy etc..) then get the regular chocolate milk or something else.

Nobody stated that their opinion was based on a few studies? And how is it irresponsible to state that I choose not to consume it? I didn't advise anyone else

IMO it's irresponsible to say that foods containing added HFCS are acceptable, while foods containing aspartame are not.

Who said HFCS are acceptable??

It's currently legal to add HFCS to milk. Are you saying that should be illegal, the way adding aspartame to milk is illegal?

No not at all, thou I can't see why they add anything to it. If they put it in then they should state it, why restrict one and not the other. I never stated that one should be different to another. I merely pointed out that there is no need to add these things to it. Feel free to educate me as to why it needs to be in the product at all?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I also respect people's right to choose.

Then what exactly is the problem with this change. Shouldn't I be able to choose whether or not to buy "strawberry milk" flavored with aspartame instead of HFCS?
  • jonnythan
    Options

It's currently legal to add HFCS to milk. Are you saying that should be illegal, the way adding aspartame to milk is illegal?

No not at all, thou I can't see why they add anything to it. If they put it in then they should state it, why restrict one and not the other. I never stated that one should be different to another. I merely pointed out that there is no need to add these things to it. Feel free to educate me as to why it needs to be in the product at all?

We do agree then. They add it because people buy it and enjoy it. I certainly enjoy flavored milk, but I avoid it because it has so much sugar. I'd drink a lot more of it if I could get it without added sugar.
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Yuk. Are parents giving diet soda to kids now too?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    And I am glad I don't drink milk anymore (yeah let the hashing begin) to me it tastes like water.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

We do agree then. They add it because people buy it and enjoy it. I certainly enjoy flavored milk, but I avoid it because it has so much sugar. I'd drink a lot more of it if I could get it without added sugar.

Yes we agree in that respect thou I still can not understand why anyone would consume it, I guess that's why a lot of people are on this site. Good luck with your journey :)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I still can not understand why anyone would consume it,

Because it tastes good.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

So would I.

Because aspartame is safe to consume.

Unless you have PK.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Because it tastes good.

I think that's a matter of opinion!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    aspartame = evil.

Your exaggeration is quite over the top.

Things like rape and genocide are evil.

Aspartame has been proven to be safe to consume.

I wouldn't even go there, that thread has been rehashed a hundred times! A great deal of us consider it to be a fairly nasty product. Especially those of us that eat food that lived or grew. No aspartame trees that I know of?

There aren't any penecillin trees either.

Just because a lab is the origin, there is no reason to fear the product.

Again, aspartame has been proven to be safe to consume. Unless you have PK. Which is very rare.

Actually penicillin comes from a fungi- I.e. it's origin is from nature. You can believe everything your government tells you, I choose to question their motives.

I'm so glad you agree with me.

Penecillin, in its original form, is useless to us. Even though it came from nature.

Science, in a lab, helped it to become the greatest life saver ever made.

Just like science, in a lab, figured out some combination of amino acids that tastes sweet to our taste buds. Those amino acids occur in higher concentrations in chicken, but since it came from a lab many people are afraid.

I'm just saying, again: aspartame is safe to consume.

Avoiding all the extremism, I do want to add that it may be safe for some, or even most, of the population BUT it is also quite harmful to others. 1 cup of diet coke makes my mother's face feel numb, and it makes my eyes twitch uncontrollably. I have no known 'allergy' to aspartame, but I don't particularly enjoy the neurological effects it has on me or my mother. In this way, I would consider it to be unsafe for both of us. I'm just trying to say that you cannot generalize it as safe or dangerous, people's reactions to both natural and synthetic substances vary greatly.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Because it tastes good.

Indeed it is. Surely you're aware that different people have different opinions. ;)
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    If its really because they want to prevent obesity then they should stop making flavoured milk and only offer whole milk. It's quite worrying where the food industry is heading.

Bam. This, right here.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If this is approved, I guess I'm going to be just an ovo-vegetarian....
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If this is approved, I guess I'm going to be just an ovo-vegetarian....

You could just find a friend with a cow!
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Because it tastes good.

Indeed it is. Surely you're aware that different people have different opinions. ;)

And therefore you should respect mine as I respect yours.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    i don't understand....are we saying that regular milk you buy in the store has added sugar in it but doesn't list it on the ingredients? wha?

Chocolate Milk has a lot of sugar, or high fructose corn syrup. The proposal is to use aspartame instead, to reduce the calorie content.

This would be a safe substitution for nearly all individuals.

I Could get down with that

Sincerely,

Diet Coke and Sweet N Low Junkie
  • jonnythan
    Options

Because it tastes good.

I'm not even sure what your opinion is. Do you think that this change (allowing milk products with artificial sweeteners to be sold the same way as milk products with added sugar or HFCS) should be allowed?
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Options

Because it tastes good.

I'm not even sure what your opinion is. Do you think that this change (allowing milk products with artificial sweeteners to be sold the same way as milk products with added sugar or HFCS) should be allowed?

Quite honestly I can't see the point in restricting either, they shouldn't be making either product in the first place. Milk should be milk. If they are adding things then as long as its stated fully on the label then I don't see what difference it makes what they put in it. Aside from the fact that many people won't know what it is they are consuming, most never even read the label.

I do however believe that the majority of obese Americans need educating in what is and is not healthy. I do not consider milk with "added HFCS or Aspartame etc" to be healthy.

Edit: so yes I think it may as well be....what difference does it make?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Because it tastes good.

Quite honestly I can't see the point in restricting either, they shouldn't be making either product in the first place. Milk should be milk. If they are adding things then as long as its stated fully on the label then I don't see what difference it makes what they put in it. Aside from the fact that many people won't know what it is they are consuming, most never even read the label.

I do however believe that the majority of obese Americans need educating in what is and is not healthy. I do not consider milk with "added HFCS or Aspartame etc" to be healthy.

Edit: so yes I think it may as well be....what difference does it make?

The rule makes a difference to me personally because I'd like to buy these products. Your opinion makes a difference to me because it's hard to respect an opinion when I don't know what it is ;)