Things you hate people say about working out

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

"I can't run. It hurts my back."

I can't run. It DOES hurt my lower back and knees.
    But I speed walk on the treadmill, and I lift weight carefully when I'm working around the injuries. There's always alternatives.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    One other thing I hate, related more to diet than exercise, is when people project their own insecurities onto me because of the decisions I make about how I treat my own body. I was told recently at a work lunch that I make everyone around me feel fat and gross because I order a salad while they're ordering burgers and fries. No, you feel fat and gross because you aren't willing to exercise any self-control over your food choices. Don't pin that on me.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me today! I was doing my thing at the gym when a well intentioned old man came up to me and advised me that I shouldn't be using free weights or barbells b/c I could get hurt, and that I should just use the machines for a far superior workout. LOL!!! My trainer and I got a laugh out of that.

Ummm....rage. That would have likely caused me to launch into a full on feminist rant.

^ Ha!! Me Too!!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    One other thing I hate, related more to diet than exercise, is when people project their own insecurities onto me because of the decisions I make about how I treat my own body. I was told recently at a work lunch that I make everyone around me feel fat and gross because I order a salad while they're ordering burgers and fries. No, you feel fat and gross because you aren't willing to exercise any self-control over your food choices. Don't pin that on me.

I hope you said that out loud. :flowerforyou:
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    "But you'll lose your boobs!!!" So you'd rather have a big belly to make your big boobs look smaller?

THIS! ARGH! I was plagued with this kind of accursed configuration since puberty! So yeah, I have tiny tits, but at least I also have a waist now.
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Old(er) lady who does ONE water aerobics class a week:
    "Gosh, old age really makes it feel like hard work! You don't find it as hard because you are younger!"

.....Er, no, i don't find it as hard because i do 6 hours a week at the gym and also run twice a week! Old age is not as synonymous with fitness to the extent ignorant unfit people justify it! Rant over!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    "Running gives me footballer's legs". Yeah, those marathon runners have such chunky thighs...
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    That reading a magazine while on the elliptical means I am not getting a good workout.

I can read a magazine while NOT leaning on the machine, ramping up the incline and intensity when I need to, and still using the arm things on the elliptical. I'd much rather do that than stare at the wall just so I feel like I am getting a good workout.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Sweating is gross

Anyone over 5'6 on a 1200 calorie a day diet

You're going to hurt yourself with free weights.

Mehdi referring to Arnold as something to strive to attain.
    No thanks ill keep the needles out of me. Stronglifts 5x5 thing.

When I lose weight ill work out.... How does that make sense?
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    That reading a magazine while on the elliptical means I am not getting a good workout.

I can read a magazine while NOT leaning on the machine, ramping up the incline and intensity when I need to, and still using the arm things on the elliptical. I'd much rather do that than stare at the wall just so I feel like I am getting a good workout.

Saw a girl running on the treadmill yesterday at 7.5 and reading a textbook. My mouth kinda dropped
  • cupboard_stalker
    cupboard_stalker Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I used to take revision text books on the treadmill with me:)
  • Tennolina
    Tennolina Posts: 2,413
    Options
    "If you lift weights, you're gonna end up looking like a man."

Oh, reallllly???
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This just happened to me today! I was doing my thing at the gym when a well intentioned old man came up to me and advised me that I shouldn't be using free weights or barbells b/c I could get hurt, and that I should just use the machines for a far superior workout. LOL!!! My trainer and I got a laugh out of that.

I had a the same thing happen to me the same thing the other day :grumble:
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    "I'm allergic to sweating"...yes I did hear this...from a lame *kitten* cycle instructor who never does the work.

It could be true....my FIL is allergic to his own sweat. He breaks out in hives; big red ugly hives.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    My mother is the worst offender of this question:

"When are you going to stop working out like that"

Ummm...what?
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    From a friend who could lose (quite a) few pounds...

"Yoga doesn't do it for me"

Me (thinking): Other than a large ice cream cone nothing does...
  • sammianni1988
    Options
    my metabolism is down because I'm old. NO! its because you don't work out.

Or

I get my exercise chasing after my kids.. Unless you ran a mile after them you did not.

I use my nephew all the time to exercise. at 35 lbs he makes for great at home weights!

Love this :)

My main bugbear is a friend of mine who is skinnier than me running on a treadmill telling me that walking is not going to do me any good. I am over 200lbs and only just starting to workout. Give me chance. At least I'm here :)
  • KittyViolet
    KittyViolet Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I had a short conversation with a coworker when I was in the middle of losing weight. Her words were: "I don't wanna lose a ton of weight. I wanna stay thick but I just wanna tone up, you know?" I told her she won't be seeing any of this "toned" muscle by staying "thick". Her response: "Well I don't want HUGE muscles like a man!" My face: -_______-;

And that was the day I officially struck the word "TONE" from my vocabulary.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Love this :)

My main bugbear is a friend of mine who is skinnier than me running on a treadmill telling me that walking is not going to do me any good. I am over 200lbs and only just starting to workout. Give me chance. At least I'm here :)

I can see why your friend might have said that. My trainer always told me start at your Max and then adjust downwards.Otherwise you will never find out what your capable of. I wouldn't recommend you start sprinting but anyone can slow jog even at intervals.
  • kjericks6401
    kjericks6401 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For the person who said you will loose your boobs....I've heard that too, and I'll cope with the deflated pancake boobs that will ineveitably result if I meet my goal weight because they will be attached to a body fit enough to go where I want and do what I want. That's just an excuse from people who are unwilling or not ready to lose yet (I used to be one of them). Besides, that's what padded push up bras are for!