3 Months Stronglifts 5x5.

RunDoozer
RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
So I started at the end of november and quickly found out that cardio was really not for me. I however in that time did find MFP and saw that a number of people were suggesting stronglifts. So I did my research and decided to try it out even tho I had no experience with free weights. Being 6'0 and 230 pounds the thought of going in and lifting just the 45 lb bar was kinda laughable to me because I knew I could lift a lot heavier. However, I did what the program says to do and did the suggested weights. It was embarrassing to go into the gym and lift next to nothing compared to my size. I looked silly at least in my mind.

But I got over my ego and kept doing it and working on my form. After about a month I started to feel some resistance on the bar and while it was still a small amount of weight I was starting to get less embarrassed. Definitely could feel myself getting a little tighter in the arms and legs. Towards the end of the second month things started to get heavy. And I am very happy that I took the time to figure out my form because now at the end of the 3rd month and I think with having bad form I could really end up hurting myself.

Now at the gym I feel like I look like a beast most of the time might not be the case but I like to think it is. Will be sticking with the program till I stop seeing progress and then move to 3x5 then 1x5 and then probably onto madcows.

For those of you that think stronglifts is only a 12 week program it's not thats just how he markets it to get people to stick with it for 12 weeks to make sure that they see results. Keep going till you're not seeing progress anymore.

As for my diet I pretty much just cut out all fast food and soda. I tried counting calories but thats just not for me. I cant do that for a lifetime so why incorporate it now. I do look at calories and try to stay in the 2400-2500 range but some days Im over and somedays I'm under. Making sure to hit my protein though is a must. Seems to be working for me so far and I'm a lot happier this way than having to calculate and weigh and mess around with all that. It may be a lot slower way to lose pounds but as long as Im seeing progress in the mirror I dont really care about the scale.

Also I have Dropped from 31% body fat to 25 which takes me from obese to just overweight.

Starting weights
Barbell Row - 65
Squat - 45
Bench Press - 45
Over head press - 45
deadlift - 95

Current Weight
Barbell Row - 145
Squat - 215
Bench Press - 135
Over head press - 95
deadlift - 265

And now Pics
l6snf9Kl.jpg

Ph6ZjSJl.jpg

NgtyIHGl.jpg

wYXHQ2Nl.jpg

Replies

• Great job sticking with it! Your results are fantastic!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Wow you look great. :drinker:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Great progress!
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Amazing results - wow

Love to see the progression of your strong lifts numbers too. I can't wait to be a barbellarella in the Gym. Just completing month 1 now.
  • hsnider29
    hsnider29 Posts: 394 Member
    It's amazing how much your belly has gone down. My fiancé is doing some of the program with me but he doesn't care for the squats in the gym. I think, like you, he is embarrasssed. Great job!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    It's amazing how much your belly has gone down. My fiancé is doing some of the program with me but he doesn't care for the squats in the gym. I think, like you, he is embarrasssed. Great job!

Yea I can see that but i think heavy squats are the main reason for the loss. when they get really heavy theyre intense.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Looking good! Definitely gut-less in a good way! :laugh:

I'm still in the "focusing on form" phase, and just the 45 lb bar and a little extra is enough for me right now. Can't wait to progress a wee bit faster though, so your story is encouraging and lets me know I'm on the right track.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Great results, congrats ! Keep it up
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Whooooo-hoooooo! This is fantastic!!!! You have just motivated me even more than I was/are/am! :bigsmile:

You better be super proud of yourself... What a great accomplishment!!!!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    WOW! You look great! Way to go!

I have been contemplating adding in Stronglifts to my regular cardio and weight training routine.. you have inspired me to actually add it in. Thank you and congrats on your success!
  • IamOnMywayNow
    IamOnMywayNow Posts: 470 Member
    Great job!! I cant wait to post my SL results!
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    GOOD JOB! THIS IS GREAT!
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Clearly ditching your pride temporarily paid off in the long run. I can see you more than gained it back - just look at your posture in the last photo.

AWESOME dude.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Good chit!
  • kyunda
    kyunda Posts: 340 Member
    Look at you!! Great job! I just started Sunday, thanks for the motivation!!!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 801 Member
    Nice work!!! Looking great!!!
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,012 Member
    That's a very impressive progression in lifts, as well as the change in your body comp!! Congratulations!!

I started StrongLifts in January and absolutely love it!!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    That's amazing.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    That's awesome!
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    That's awesome! I just started Stronglifts yesterday. I had been lifting for about a month so I started a little heavier than the bar. It may come back to bite me, but I figure at the worst, I'll just deload and keep up until I catch up. Nice to see the progress I might be able to look forward to. Thanks for the post!

Starting weights
    Barbell Row - 65
    Squat - 110
    Bench Press - 65
    Over head press - I don't remember
    deadlift - I don't remember.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!