My stupid local Planet Fitness.....

Options
vjohn04
vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
So they're replacing the floor in the weights area. They took all the machines and benches and shoved them to one side of the room.
It was ridiculous to even attempt a workout. Yes, I am ridiculous and attempted to workout.

Here's what is looks like with all the evening yahoos trying to workout:

IMG_20130226_192659_zps22cdbead.jpg

IMG_20130226_192646_zpsf8b6bb97.jpg

IMG_20130226_192641_zps707cad8d.jpg

People were just moving plates away from this mess to work out and simply doing exercises holding the plates.... there were some attempting to use the machines even though they were all on top of each other. This has to be a liability--- surprised no one has been hurt with everything so cramped and disorganized.

Replies

• tadjo
    tadjo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am always blown away by the lack of etiquette at the gym. Today a guy turned off a fan I had just turned on. How about this WORK HARDER!!!
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! That IS awful!!! Just a lawsuit waiting to happen!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Where are the free weights?

And that is ridiculous. Time to find a new gym?
  • vjohn04
    Options

I got the upgraded contract for a year! *cries*
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?
  • vjohn04
    Options

No free weights with bars to use tonight... they took all the oly bars and hid them. I was gonna steal one and do some good mornings, if nothing else.

It was such a waste of my time this evening.
  • vjohn04
    Options

Freeweights?

HAI!

My PF has free weights. Benches, squat racks, the workz.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Freeweights?

HAI!

My PF has free weights. Benches, squat racks, the workz.

Wow, seriously? I've been in a few, and none of them had a single oly bar, much less an actual squat rack.
  • vjohn04
    Options
    Yeah. It wouldn't be my gym of choice, if I had the option-- really.

I've been to quite a few locations over the US, and each one is really different in their set ups. I've seen a couple like what you are thinking... all machines, no free weights.
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I see no ladies with weights in their hands. I'm going to hope that's because they were wise enough to stay away from the chaos? ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Real talk, I've never seen the inside of a PF before. What's up with the purple and yellow? It looks like the secret lair of a failed comic book superhero. And I've never seen so many wipe down bottles concentrated in one area before. That place truly is for the gym phobic. True story: I've never wiped a bench down before using it in my life.

Love the No Critics sign tho.

Back on topic. OP, I'm not sure what your complaint is. The other choice they had was to close and force you to drive across the city to a different location or skip altogether. Sounds like you were able to get some semblance of a workout in so I guess it's good they found a way to accommodate you.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    The more I read the more I become convinced that Planet Fitness does not want people to get in shape.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options

Back on topic. OP, I'm not sure what your complaint is. The other choice they had was to close and force you to drive across the city to a different location or skip altogether. Sounds like you were able to get some semblance of a workout in so I guess it's good they found a way to accommodate you.

^^^^^^this
  • vjohn04
    Options
    I see no ladies with weights in their hands. I'm going to hope that's because they were wise enough to stay away from the chaos? ;)

I attempted a half way charlie workout... I was the only lady.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    The more I read the more I become convinced that Planet Fitness does not want people to get in shape.

HEY.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

IMG_20130226_192646_zpsf8b6bb97.jpg

unless you actually do hard work.
  • vjohn04
    Options

You are very right. I suppose this was more of a comment rather than a complaint. I took these pictures and wanted to share them on the forums and just hoped my post wouldn't be a dud. It appears that I may have produced a dud post.

However, which is better? Folks with various levels of intelligence and common sense exercising in a safe environment, or this amusing cluster. I can only control what I do, not anyone else, hence the worry of injuy. I thought maybe someone else would get a kick out of these pictures since PF gets a bad reputation on the forums.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Yeah. It wouldn't be my gym of choice, if I had the option-- really.

I've been to quite a few locations over the US, and each one is really different in their set ups. I've seen a couple like what you are thinking... all machines, no free weights.

This is also what I've heard. Each club varies greatly in what they offer. The "No critics" sign is purely a business move - they're trying to attract the non-super-gym-goers and make them feel comfortable - a huge target audience. I would probably do the same if I owned a gym or gyms.

In response to the "so many spray bottles to clean up after yourself" comment -- after going to a 24 hour fitness where I got sick a ton and never saw any of the machines cleaned or serviced properly, this would be welcome.

As for the OP's pics...... that's just ridiculous. They should have taped off that area if they could not have made it safely functional.
  • dondimitri
    dondimitri Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    "evening yahoos..."

how dare all those people work out in the evening! lol!

ETA: If my gym had even half that many disinfectant bottles/wipes I'd be very happy.