My stupid local Planet Fitness.....

Options

Replies

• ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    sorry but common sense would tell me not to use it

our weights area is in the process of being renovated. we just arnt using it for 4 days, might be a little annoying to have to change routines for a few days but at least you wont injure yourselfs tripping over things
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I could never workout on equipment that looks like it belongs in Barbie's Dream House.. not to mention the no grunting rule.. no grunting? Really?

If you have a need to grunt you should probably learn how to work out, you're probably not lifting correctly if you're going to grunt like an animal.

This should actually be: If you DON'T have a need to grunt, you're likely not lifting heavily enough.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Lame. My image showed up for me, but was an ad for everyone else. My bad, doods.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I could never workout on equipment that looks like it belongs in Barbie's Dream House.. not to mention the no grunting rule.. no grunting? Really?

If you have a need to grunt you should probably learn how to work out, you're probably not lifting correctly if you're going to grunt like an animal.

This should actually be: If you DON'T have a need to grunt, you're likely not lifting heavily enough.

I don't usually grunt and I lift fairly heavy.

M.F.P. Hottest Person/M.F.P. Most awesome person
    Ice cream afficionado
    "Winning" Certified Instructor
    Been in gifs for 2 years and have studied custom gif creation
    jac-mr-mfp-o.gif
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    If people spent less time b*tching about things like Planet Fitness and went outside and played..... hmmfp.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    So, this is a temporary thing and you're upset bc your gym is making improvements to it's facility???

Gotcha. Gotta love first world problems.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one that likes the colors?
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    Where are the free weights?

And that is ridiculous. Time to find a new gym?

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?

Had to look this up to make sure. Read this on wiki, "Every first Monday of the month, Planet Fitness holds a Pizza Night at all of its franchises. [7] They also hold a bagel morning on the second Tuesday of the month, and Tootsie Rolls are available at all times."

Seriously. What. Why do that to people who are focusing on trying to lose weight..
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Most Planet Fitness locations do not allow you to do barbell squats or deadlifts. Therefore most PF locations are trash, since those are the two best exercises possible.

Seriously? What kind of place is this? Their marketing must be AMAZING.

Fitness is in their name, but wont allow you to perform basic exercises to increase your level of fitness. GENIUS!
    I squat and do RDLs. No bar touching the floor though, lest I geeeett keeeecked oooooout.
  • smittieaj
    smittieaj Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Apparently, pizza is great for weight loss. *

*...your results may vary...
  • vjohn04
    Options
    So, this is a temporary thing and you're upset bc your gym is making improvements to it's facility???

Gotcha. Gotta love first world problems.

Never said I was upset, sweetcheeks.

I was just making a discussion post and was hoping it didn't die an immediate death.

Gotta love people who jump to conclusions ;-)
  • vjohn04
    Options

Awww... I like pizza!
  • vjohn04
    Options
    Where are the free weights?

And that is ridiculous. Time to find a new gym?

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?

They have bagel mornings too once a month!
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    OK a new PF just opened in my area....they are advertising $10 a month, no contracts. I'm really hip on the whole no contracts thing because I have been screwed out of two different "lifetime" memberships so far in my short life. (Bally's and Sillohette)

If I go in and decide to use the place, what are they going to try and sell me? I'm mainly just interested in it until summer bike riding weather comes around. I will just be using the treadmill or eliptical machine...so $10 is probably more than that is worth anyway...what's their schpeel gonna be?
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Most Planet Fitness locations do not allow you to do barbell squats or deadlifts. Therefore most PF locations are trash, since those are the two best exercises possible.

Seriously? What kind of place is this? Their marketing must be AMAZING.

Fitness is in their name, but wont allow you to perform basic exercises to increase your level of fitness. GENIUS!

I've been to a couple of locations, and 75% of the floor space was dedicated to cardio machines. They serve pizza for free on Mondays. They have some circuit/nautilus type machines.

I guess some locations have squat racks and benches, but I imagine no deadlifting platforms. They cater to the popular image of "fitness" as "people who run on treadmills for hours." Their marketing actively makes fun of people who try to build muscle.

Actually it'snot Mondays, its the first monday of the month. Yes the gym is LOUSY with people just there for the pizza on that day which is why I go after 9:00pm if at all on that day. You forgot that they also give out free bagels on (I think) the second tuesday morning of the month.

As a runner I love having access to the treamills when it's raining or there's a lot of black ice on the ground, also if I have to run at night that's where I'll go. My PF is open 24x7. I do some weight training mostly to benefit my running form and to keep my muscle during my weight loss, but I've only heard the alarm go off once and that was after an interception during the Pats game and someone swore like a trucker VERY loudly.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    no spiel. they are pretty straight up. pay 10, go as long as you want, don't make noise. go sign up today. there's really no downside if you're just going for cardio equipment and machines
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like they were moving items?

If you have crappy service at your local Subway do you blame the entier franchise that one indenpendantly owned location sucks?

My PF isn't half bad. We have lots of 'meatheads', freeweights and I have never heard the 'lunk alarm'. Each location is independently owned and run. Sorry yours sucks at the moment.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options

Awww... I like pizza!

I like pizza too, but unfortunately, that is one of my ''weak'' foods that cause a mental war in my mind with wanting more. I can never just have one slice of pizza. So I avoid it altogether.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Actually it'snot Mondays, its the first monday of the month. Yes the gym is LOUSY with people just there for the pizza on that day which is why I go after 9:00pm if at all on that day. You forgot that they also give out free bagels on (I think) the second tuesday morning of the month.

As a runner I love having access to the treamills when it's raining or there's a lot of black ice on the ground, also if I have to run at night that's where I'll go. My PF is open 24x7. I do some weight training mostly to benefit my running form and to keep my muscle during my weight loss, but I've only heard the alarm go off once and that was after an interception during the Pats game and someone swore like a trucker VERY loudly.

Bagels are even worse than pizza! I heard someone mention a bucket of Tootsie Rolls on the front counter, but that may be an isolated incident.

If you're a runner and want easy/cheap/assured access to a treadmill, PF is pretty awesome.