My stupid local Planet Fitness.....

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Actually it'snot Mondays, its the first monday of the month. Yes the gym is LOUSY with people just there for the pizza on that day which is why I go after 9:00pm if at all on that day. You forgot that they also give out free bagels on (I think) the second tuesday morning of the month.

As a runner I love having access to the treamills when it's raining or there's a lot of black ice on the ground, also if I have to run at night that's where I'll go. My PF is open 24x7. I do some weight training mostly to benefit my running form and to keep my muscle during my weight loss, but I've only heard the alarm go off once and that was after an interception during the Pats game and someone swore like a trucker VERY loudly.

Bagels are even worse than pizza! I heard someone mention a bucket of Tootsie Rolls on the front counter, but that may be an isolated incident.

If you're a runner and want easy/cheap/assured access to a treadmill, PF is pretty awesome.

If I were a runner, I'd just do it outside for free...but that's just me.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Where are the free weights?

And that is ridiculous. Time to find a new gym?

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?

Had to look this up to make sure. Read this on wiki, "Every first Monday of the month, Planet Fitness holds a Pizza Night at all of its franchises. [7] They also hold a bagel morning on the second Tuesday of the month, and Tootsie Rolls are available at all times."

Seriously. What. Why do that to people who are focusing on trying to lose weight..

To keep the weight on those people, so they don't see the results they want and sign up for another year's membership at the gym.

Ingenious.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options
    I'm a poor college student, so I would have absolutely no problem with MAYBE using planet fitness, if its 10 dollars a month. That is super cheap. But so far that is about the only attractive thing so far I've heard about it : \ The thing that really gets me fired up is the pizza/bagel/tootsie roll thing. My daily diet is the biggest challenge for me and everyday its a battle. The last thing I want is my gym trying to shove pizza in my face..
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm a poor college student, so I would have absolutely no problem with MAYBE using planet fitness, if its 10 dollars a month. That is super cheap. But so far that is about the only attractive thing so far I've heard about it : \ The thing that really gets me fired up is the pizza/bagel/tootsie roll thing. My daily diet is the biggest challenge for me and everyday its a battle. The last thing I want is my gym trying to shove pizza in my face..

Most colleges have gyms that are way better than your average PF.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Each PF is different - the one I typically go to is HUGE, but the free weight section is always overcrowded so I rarely get to use them (end up on the machines). With exception of no "free" olp bars, mine has most of everything else I need.

Recently I have been taking a friend to one closer to her house - it's HALF the size as my normal one, but I can use the free weights better. AND... this one has a notice on the doors that the Men's dressing rooms are closed for updates/repairs. It's states the dates they will be closed and it's been there the last 2 times I went.

And as to the "wipe down station" I really wish there would be more. There are so many in the OP's pictures because they crammed everything together on one side to do the floors.

PF has a place - it's cheaper, more for the beginner or intermediate person and alot more friendly than other gyms I've been at. Yes - they could use more free weights and less cardo machines (some classes would be GREAT) but I like it for what it is. $20 a month, open 24/7 & I can take someone with me - can't beat it.

And I don't bother with pizza night or bagel morning (gluten intolerant), so it doesn't bother me. If someone wants to partake, who am I to say no. I see it as defeating the purpose, but maybe some people see it as a reward. Whatever floats your boat.

And yes - they all have that stupid bucket of rolls - WHY?!
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

Freeweights?

Wish my gym fed me.. But would they hold it against me later?
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My PF started taking out the wall mirrors and free-weights to replace them with huge weight machines and *more* cardio....my family dropped them like a hot potato after that.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Freeweights?

Wish my gym fed me.. But would they hold it against me later?

Nah, they'd just reap the secondary benefit of your having to continue to pay a membership fee for a gym that you stopped going to because you never lost any weight going there. :wink:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I think the PF hate really comes from the "image" of fitness that they sell. You walk in and the overwhelming impression is cardio. They have tons of cardio classes. They feed you pizza, bagels, and candy. Depending on location they make it difficult to impossible to do freeweight exercises. The marketing actively ridicules people who lift weights and are strong.

The "image" is that fitness is all about spending a lot of time doing cardio, with maybe some lever-machine strength training here and there. The "image" is that diet doesn't matter that much. The "image" is that it's good to reward yourself with unhealthy food.

I think PF is kind of the poster boy for a lot of what is wrong with the fitness industry, and it caters specifically to people who are not very fit and who are not very knowledgeable bout fitness. Instead of actually teaching them about genuine fitness, it just panders to their ignorance.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I heard someone mention a bucket of Tootsie Rolls on the front counter, but that may be an isolated incident.

Yeah a 25 calorie tootsie roll is going to make a person gain like, 5 pounds. :huh:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I heard someone mention a bucket of Tootsie Rolls on the front counter, but that may be an isolated incident.

Yeah a 25 calorie tootsie roll is going to make a person gain like, 5 pounds. :huh:

No, but read the above post. Between this, the pizza, and the bagels, they promote the idea that rewarding yourself with unhealthy food is a good thing. That's a major problem in my opinion.

I wonder how many people would grab Tootsie rolls if there was a sign that said "you have to jog on the treadmill for 3 minutes to burn off a single one of these candies."
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options

No, but read the above post. Between this, the pizza, and the bagels, they promote the idea that rewarding yourself with unhealthy food is a good thing. That's a major problem in my opinion.

I wonder how many people would grab Tootsie rolls if there was a sign that said "you have to job on the treadmill for 3 minutes to burn off a single one of these candies."

And not to mention.. how many people can actually eat just ONE tootsie roll. Lol
  • monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I personally have never partaken in the pizza, bagels, or tootsie rolls, but I know a lot of people would use those as motivation to work a little harder and "earn" the snack. My PF does have free weights, benches, mirrors, etc. I generally stick to the weight machines at this point, because it's easier for me to hold the form that way (stupid injuries...), but I don't have any issues with mine. Except it's always packed - but it's still fairly new. Grr.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have surmised that Planet Fitness gyms are a lot like Crossfit gyms. There are a few good ones and a ton of crappy ones, and how well they're going to work for you depends entirely on what you're using them for. If you're into cardio and you'll use the other features like tanning, massage chairs, etc., then you really can't beat the price.

But if you're interested in serious weight-lifting, I really think you are better off slowly building a home gym or seeking out a bare-bones, warehouse-type gym in your area that pretty much only has free weights. That was the route I took because I do very little traditional cardio, and I was really put off by the PF employee at the one near my house who told me when I stopped in for a tour that their gym is "for average people, not the crazy bodybuilder types." I'm definitely not a bodybuilder, but I have no interest in being average.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I go to a Fit Body Bootcamp location which has dumbbells, kettlebells, etc. I was considering going to PF too for the machines, like a treadmill, but I'm hoping to avoid it when the nice weather rolls around. I think people are expecting too much from this franchise? You see what you get when you take the tour. There's nothing hidden about their intentions.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

I wonder how many people would grab Tootsie rolls if there was a sign that said "you have to jog on the treadmill for 3 minutes to burn off a single one of these candies."

Well I , like many people, work out hard so I CAN still enjoy pizza on other things in moderation (though I have never eaten it at the gym). Lots of people eat normal foods they like and still lose weight with a calorie deficit. That is where self control comes in. I have never seen anyone at PF take a single tootsie roll and have only seen 1 fit, teenage girl eating a slice of pizza on free pizza night. Give people a little more credit.

Maybe offering free pizza ONE day a month and bagels ONE morning a month is a good lesson to people who would normally eat it daily... rather than looking at it as rewarding people for exercise.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    So, this is a temporary thing and you're upset bc your gym is making improvements to it's facility???

Gotcha. Gotta love first world problems.

Never said I was upset, sweetcheeks.

I was just making a discussion post and was hoping it didn't die an immediate death.

Gotta love people who jump to conclusions ;-)

use of words such as "stupid" and "ridiculous" indicate irritation in some form. I don't believe I would be the only one to jump to this conclusion given your choice of words, sugarlips.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    use of words such as "stupid" and "ridiculous" indicate irritation in some form. I don't believe I would be the only one to jump to this conclusion given your choice of words, sugarlips.

I say stupid, retarded, obnoxious, ridiculous, etc. all of the time. I can haz anger issuez? :sad:
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well I , like many people, work out hard so I CAN still enjoy pizza on other things in moderation (though I have never eaten it at the gym). Lots of people eat normal foods they like and still lose weight with a calorie deficit. That is where self control comes in. I have never seen anyone at PF take a single tootsie roll and have only seen 1 fit, teenage girl eating a slice of pizza on free pizza night. Give people a little more credit.

Maybe offering free pizza ONE day a month and bagels ONE morning a month is a good lesson to people who would normally eat it daily... rather than looking at it as rewarding people for exercise.

You can, yes. But, like I said, it's a poor image to sell. In my opinion.

Reward yourself with food, fitness is about cardio, etc.