My stupid local Planet Fitness.....

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    *shrugs*

They did the same thing at my PF a few years ago when they had to replace the floor. It was no big deal. My guess is that it's either do it that way or close down for a few weeks. I prefer the former.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    I love my PF. It has everything I need & I feel comfortable working out there. The staff is really nice & the place is always clean. The only other place I would rather join would be the YMCA, but that is $90 a month (family) compared to the $10 I'm paying at PF. I don't really have a choice. Although I will join the Y for summer only because it's great for my kids & they LOVE it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Where are the free weights?

And that is ridiculous. Time to find a new gym?

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?

The Planet Fitness I go to has free weights, but not much. The barbells only go up to 60 pounds, from there you have to use the Smith Machines. There are only 4 of those and they are ALWAYS full. There is no squat rack. There are plenty dumbells, but I'm not sure how heavy they get, I'm a beginner and haven't ventured higher than 25 pounds as of yet. I think perhaps they go up to 100??? maybe??
  • JustJennie1
    People can be so obnoxious with their hate of PF. It's not like they don't advertise exactly what they are and are tricking people. If you are REALLY into weight training, this is not the gym for you. It is a great and afforable gym for people who just need the basic stuff. PF fits well into my budget (which is teeny tiny) and so I am grateful that they exist.

Agreed. I get that the majority of the people on here don't like this gym and prefer a Golds or something along that line and that's fine but don't bash the people who go to PF and like it. My husband had a membership at a "fancy" gym and it was expensive: $40 a month and that was without any aerobic classes. I used to go with him on my days off which was 1-2 days a week (I had a gym at work that I utilized) and I got charged the $12 day pass every single time. That adds up after a while and I'm not going to go there for the entire day. PF fits our budget, the equipment there works for what we do right now (also we hadn't been to the gym in a while so sucking up the $20/month fee was a lot easier) and I don't do classes so that's a non-issue. Maybe we'll go to a better gym at some point maybe not. We don't go for the Pizza on Mondays -- and really. What's the difference between that and the fancy "shake bars" that some gyms have? Oh right. It's Pizza. I suppose if they had "Protein Shake Monday" it'd be better then?

The point is that there are people here who like the gym and there are people here who don't. But bashing it is kind of ridiculous IMO.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member

IMG_20130226_192646_zpsf8b6bb97.jpg

unless you actually do hard work.

Well they look well stocked on paper towels and spray bottles...
  • JustJennie1

Freeweights?

At Planet Fitness, home of "we feed you pizza" Mondays?

I've heard it called "Planet Fatness"

Fortunately don't think they exist in Australia

Anyone competant can use a well-stocked gym, even if it's got a crazy colour scheme and appeals to amateurs. I know a lot of people fully dedicated to fitness who utilize their facilities because of affordability, convenience, etc. It's okay to stop being elitist for a second and realize that these can be useful places to work out and they don't all adhere to the "no grunting/lunk alarm" policy, even though that's what they're best known for. The people I know who go there and enjoy the gym say that's not even a factor and think it's silly people wholeheartedly bash on it.

That being said, if you're training for a power-lifting competition, you'd probably be better off finding another gym...

My PF very rarely use the alarm and the people who work there hate setting it off on people. There's only one guy they do this to and it's because he's a loud talker to the point of being obnoxious and they do it to him as a joke.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    I've never been in a PF, but to me, if they are replacing the floor - "upgrading" - that would seem like a good thing.

*insert sarcasm font HERE*

...and by the way, I am now going to redo my house in purple and yellow - love, love , LOOOVE IIITTT!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Well the big problem with PF IMO is that they don't allow you to do compound freeweight lifts, which is the single best kind exercise people can do for lean mass and weight loss. Most of them anyway - apparently there are a few that have barbells and squat racks.

A building with a thousand cardio machines and some plate-loaded lever machines isn't all that useful; you can get cardio done anywhere, and the machines are of very little use to anyone.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    I would check out if motels around you have a weight center that you can pay per the hour sometimes that can be cheaper. Or if your town has a community center sometimes you can find good deals there too. That's a bummer, hopefully they get enough people that say something to them and they will change it bk for ya.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    My PF very rarely use the alarm and the people who work there hate setting it off on people. There's only one guy they do this to and it's because he's a loud talker to the point of being obnoxious and they do it to him as a joke.

That just gave me an idea...I am going to open my own PF, I shall actually stock it only with barbells, squat racks, power racks, and maybe five treadmills and five ellipticals. I shall reserve the lunk alarm for people who run their mouths and distract other from their workout, and followed by the alarm will be a recorded voice message played at the same volume: "shut the **** up and lift, or get out".
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    I could never workout on equipment that looks like it belongs in Barbie's Dream House.. not to mention the no grunting rule.. no grunting? Really?

If you have a need to grunt you should probably learn how to work out, you're probably not lifting correctly if you're going to grunt like an animal.

Tell that to all the world's strongest people, most of whom often make grunting sounds at max exertion.

Oh, and also tell that to Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka.

Yes. No making sounds while exhaling. This is strictly forbidden in martial arts.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I just signed up with a Planet Finess that opened on Monday. They have 3 smith machines and some curling bars and dumbbells, but no barbells or squat racks. I started NROL4W thinking they would have everything I need, but they don't. :( They don't have any swiss/medicine balls either. Kinda stinks, but I'm moving in a few months anyway so didn't want to sign a contract anywhere else. I'll look for a better gym after I move.
  • JustJennie1

That just gave me an idea...I am going to open my own PF, I shall actually stock it only with barbells, squat racks, power racks, and maybe five treadmills and five ellipticals. I shall reserve the lunk alarm for people who run their mouths and distract other from their workout, and followed by the alarm will be a recorded voice message played at the same volume: "shut the **** up and lift, or get out".

Since the PF's are independently owned you probably could do that.

ETA: You can also suggest that they provide certain things there. A while back I made a suggestion to ours and they ended up getting the equipment I wanted.
  • Gallowmere1984

It's an awesome idea, but I think the franchise would eventually find out, and I'd be SOL. They'd know something was up after the fifth whiny ***** called in QQing about the mean management. Besides, even if it went off without a hitch, the last thing I want to do is be responsible for even one PF location being known as a respectable gym.
  • Every time I see that commercial on TV, "We're not a gym, we're Planet Fitness.", I want to punch somebody in the face.

my fiance makes it a point to come get me during every commercial. "THATS YOU!!! BAHAHAHAHA!!"

Especially the "like abs? Peep these!"
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member

I would join this gym in a heartbeat.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

I would join this gym in a heartbeat.

It sounds like an average powerlifting gym.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Not sure why everyone is hating on PF so much... It's the only gym I've ever belonged to and I love it. I don't have to pay $50 a month for things I won't use, like free childcare. I've been going there 4-5 days per week, can always get on a machine right away and never have had to wait to use any of the free weights. "Planet Fatness" has helped me lose 18 pounds so far, thank you very much.
  • Gallowmere1984
    It sounds like an average powerlifting gym.

Precisely. That's the point. It would be like a ****ed up episode of the Twilight Zone for people walking in there expecting the pussification that they see in the commercials.
  • JustJennie1

It's an awesome idea, but I think the franchise would eventually find out, and I'd be SOL. They'd know something was up after the fifth whiny ***** called in QQing about the mean management. Besides, even if it went off without a hitch, the last thing I want to do is be responsible for even one PF location being known as a respectable gym.

Wow.

Angry much?

So you don't like PF. Ok. I get it so why not let the people who do work out there because it's affordable for them and who have zero problem there -- and yes I dead lift, lift heavy, breath heavy and sometimes *gasp* GRUNT when I lift and I have never had any issues with them telling me to stop and leave -- work out there and you can go on to your own gym and we'll all be happy? Oh and FTR, my PF does have "muscle head' looking guys working out there and the funny thing is that they all came from the fancy -- sorry, I meant real -- gym my husband used to go to and they seem to like it just fine.