Callouses on my hands from weights! And I'm a girl!

Options
I was really excited to be doing heavier lifting sets with my personal trainer, but the more we do, the more callouses I'm getting on my hands. Not to sound too vain, but I don't want man-hands! My trainer told me that gloves (I don't use them) don't protect your hands from getting callouses, they only help for grip on heavier lifts.

A little about me- I'm not training to become a weight lifter or anything, just to get in shape / lose weight. We don't always do lifts with bars, my trainer mixes it up a lot, but I really do like using the free weights (deadlifts, bench presses, squats, cleans, etc.), and I'm pretty good at them (good = motivation = success!)

So I guess my question is, how do other females deal with this? Is there a miracle hand cream or anything? hahaha... I moisturize like crazy, but I mean, it's not too sexy for a girl to have callous-y hands... :grumble:

Replies

• Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I don't lift terribly heavy, but gloves have helped me.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ewwww, back to pink dumbbells to avoid callouses
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    My wife has them too. The only advice I can give you is to file them down and find a decent lotion that works well for you.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I had that problem in the beginning, but not so much anymore. They stopped developing not too long ago.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have callouses...apparently I have unsexy man-hands...now I know!

ETA: callouses have their uses!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i'm proud of mine.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I just live with the callouses. My husband doesn't seem to mind. I think he actually sort of likes them because he likes that I'm lifting to get them! They're my badges of honor! I "earned" those puppies!
  • guzzlingil
    Options
    gloves will really help with preventing callouses.....

a decent pair will only cost $10 or so at Academy or Walmart...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I just live with the callouses. My husband doesn't seem to mind. I think he actually sort of likes them because he likes that I'm lifting to get them! They're my badges of honor! I "earned" those puppies!

You reminded me of this:
    shirt+005.jpg
  • jenbjenk1
    Options
    I too had callouses. Had is the operative work. I got gloves, they have a gel/cushy center and no more callouses. It is well worth the investment. Good Luck
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women (well it's been about a month now, but still, new!).

I noticed I had baby callouses developing. At first I was confused, then I realized where they were coming from.

Then I was like... AWESOME.

So now I'm proud! (And don't really care about what my hands are like to other people; they're mine and indicative of the road /I'm/ taking in my life, and right now I'm getting stronger and improving my health. Which... is what I want my body to say!)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    callouses+squat butt>no callouses+flabby IMO

My husband hasn't even noticed the callouses. :wink:
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I'm too busy enjoying the view of my nicely rounded *kitten* due to heavy lifting to have any time to care about the callouses on my hands. I wear gloves and still have them. My *kitten* doesn't care about my callouses and neither do I. :flowerforyou:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    I'm too busy enjoying the view of my nicely rounded *kitten* due to heavy lifting to have any time to care about the callouses on my hands. I wear gloves and still have them. My *kitten* doesn't care about my callouses and neither do I. :flowerforyou:

Besides, you can use the calluses to scratch your *kitten*, without looking like you are scratching it. Win/win imo.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Calluses are a sign that you aren't a lazy slob who sits on her butt all day.
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    You all are awesome! Maybe I've just been feeling self conscious because I've never done this before, and I have no "gal pal" work out buddies to talk to about it with ;-)

Maybe I will just embrace my callouses and think of them as a badge of honor! Ok, so I might try gloves and keep moisturizing, but I will try not to be embarrassed by them anymore!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Somebody throw me a link that scientifically proves that gloves don't help prevent calluses. THEY DO. Get gloves.

Never wearing gloves is bioscience, yo.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Yuck, you should totes go get a manicure and stop with the weights.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    i love my calluses and actually show them off at work to all the weaklings i work with
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i'm proud of mine.
    ^^^This!