Callouses on my hands from weights! And I'm a girl!

Options

Replies

• NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    No more handies strictly mouth.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I didnt want to, but in the end I had to get gloves. I was getting nasty hands lol. You do get used to wearing gloves after a while, and I can confirm without doubt that they stop you getting callouses. Your trainer is wrong.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    I just live with the callouses. My husband doesn't seem to mind. I think he actually sort of likes them because he likes that I'm lifting to get them! They're my badges of honor! I "earned" those puppies!

You reminded me of this:
    shirt+005.jpg

What about the scar on my forehead?
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Use a foot pumice on your callouses if you don't like it.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I started getting them too. I don't want them, I don't want other professionals feeling my nasty hands when I shake theirs.

I got a pair of lifting glove from target for $11. I love them and they help with my grip because I get really clammy palms at the gym.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have callouses as well, but I also have them on my fingers from playing guitar so I'm used to having rough hands. What I don't like is while lifting, the bar will pinch or tear the callouses which really hurts :-( I am going to try gloves and see if that helps.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    *makes note to get gloves*

It's not how calluses look that bothers me - it's how they feel. I really hate the feeling of them on my hands and/or fingers.
  • MizKittyB
    MizKittyB Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I echo the 'get gloves' sentiments - I have a cheapo pair (less than $20 at the local big-box sports store) and they help with my grip and I don't get much in the way of calluses. (I have a few rough spots, but I also have a tube of intensive hand cream - problem solved!)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    What about the scar on my forehead?

Only counts as a trophy if you got it from doing something badass, like breaking concrete blocks with your head, or smacking your head on the power rack after passing out after a max effort lift.
  • beckyboop712
    beckyboop712 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I miss my climbing callouses, I need to start climbing again!
  • Minnesota_Mark
    Options
    I think lotion is a mistake and will only cause more callousing
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Wear the Callouses as a Badge Of Honor to be PROUD of!! You EARNED Them!!

:wink: Then get a Good Manicurist and A Great Moisturizer to go with the Gloves!!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wear gloves. I don't like calluses on my hands. I also have very small hands and the gloves help me with grip.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love my calluses and refuse to wear gloves
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Somebody throw me a link that scientifically proves that gloves don't help prevent calluses. THEY DO. Get gloves.

Never wearing gloves is bioscience, yo.

But I like to lovingly caress the barbell with my bare hands

What is wrong/broscience with never wearing gloves...yo!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I actually don't get them anymore, or rather, no more broken skin, just tougher skin. I don't know if its because I changed my grip or what. I saw a video by Rip on grip and it kind of changed the way I did my pulls.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Somebody throw me a link that scientifically proves that gloves don't help prevent calluses. THEY DO. Get gloves.

Never wearing gloves is bioscience, yo.

But I like to lovingly caress the barbell with my bare hands

What is wrong/broscience with never wearing gloves...yo!

Ohhh...does it make that hawt scratchy sound when your calluses pass over the knurling?

ETA: upon re-reading this post...I sound like a ****ing creeper.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    callouses+squat butt>no callouses+flabby

I love your math :smile:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I started getting them too. I don't want them, I don't want other professionals feeling my nasty hands when I shake theirs.

I got a pair of lifting glove from target for $11. I love them and they help with my grip because I get really clammy palms at the gym.

That's funny, I would actually give mucho respect to other "professionals" if they had callouses, Especially if they were women.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That's funny, I would actually give mucho respect to other "professionals" if they had callouses, Especially if they were women.

I work as a pro...*ahem*..my 'clients' never have an issue