Callouses on my hands from weights! And I'm a girl!

Options

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Ewwww, back to pink dumbbells to avoid callouses

:laugh: :laugh:
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    Even with gloves you'll still build up callouses and eventually they'll rip. You need to file them down, I use a pumice stone but there are other things you can use as well.

i've never had callouses rip off, and i've tried very hard. honestly only hard of that kind of thing happening with hardcore gymnasts

why bother doing anything about them, they'll just come back lol

idk, calouses and fake nails sounds like a sexy yin/yang to me.
  • koko12
    koko12 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i love my callouses!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I use VersaGrips and I only have one callous on my hand. I personally don't think it's a crime to want to have soft hands and a hard body :wink:

edit: the callous is from not taking my ring off, if I did I would have none
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    And gloves won't really protect you from callouses (or rips, gotta take care of your hands).

Really? Crap. It's the ripping, pinching and tearing that bugs me.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My hands & feet are callouses, I love them, and am proud of them. :bigsmile:
  • oldernotwiser
    oldernotwiser Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have read that chalk not only helps with your grip but will also help prevent calluses. I don't have any direct experience with this.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I want my callouses back. Arnold didn't wear gloves, I don't wear gloves. lol

Arnold also lifted barefoot. Just saying....

I would lift barefoot if my gym would allow it.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I just live with the callouses. My husband doesn't seem to mind. I think he actually sort of likes them because he likes that I'm lifting to get them! They're my badges of honor! I "earned" those puppies!

You reminded me of this:
    shirt+005.jpg

I want this.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I love my calluses and refuse to wear gloves

yup.
  • Julem22
    Julem22 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am happy to report I have them too! Just got them and plan on keeping them...but I might try gloves at some point
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Badges of honor! Tuff girl!
  • CourtAtkins
    CourtAtkins Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always have callouses on my hands; between tons of tennis, boot camp and cycling...there really isn't a way around them. Without them my hands would be killing me during these exercises/sports; it took a lot of hard work to get them so I figure they can stay :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem here. I like my callouses, they allow me to not get blisters. My husband couldn't care less about my callouses. I was actually having a conversation with some of the ladies at the gym last night, we've all stopped getting pedicures because all they do is remove our callouses, and then we have to deal with the blisters again, and when we ask them to leave certain blisters along they tisk at us, so we've just stopped going.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    They're my battle scars and I wear them proudly. I actually freak out if they start to go away! :flowerforyou:
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ewwww, back to pink dumbbells to avoid callouses

^^^^^^^ Haha! I was thinking something along this line.
  • Kmanouchehri90
    Kmanouchehri90 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    There are lotions that have helped me, but the best thing is to prevent with gloves :)
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I love the calluses. They remind me of how far I have come since my 5lb dumbbell days. Learn to embrace.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting and started forming calluses, I was excited. Even took pictures to show my friends. I thought I was weird for actually being proud of having them, but now I know I'm not!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks my calluses are VERY sexy! It means I am not lazy. I have calluses from mountain biking, rock climbing, and lifting heavy weights. I used to wear gloves to the gym along time ago and I always wear gloves when I mountain bike. Gloves DO help to prevent calluses. However since I have been climbing again, I need my calluses.

I also love the scars on my legs from all the bike accidents I have had...........it shows I am not afraid to go downhill fast!!!