Callouses on my hands from weights! And I'm a girl!

Options

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I have them, I don't like gloves so I don't use them. I use the heavy duty Aveeno hand cream, it has reduced it alot!!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I lift heavy and have always worn gloves and have never had callouses or grip issues.
  • Latte_Lover
    Latte_Lover Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have some small calluses from the times I forget to bring my gloves to the gym. Get a good pair of gloves and you should solve the problem for the most part. I also think it is a small trade off for getting some sexy muscles...
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I love my callouses! I was actually sad when they went away after I had to take a lifting break for a bit. They're back now though! That being said, I might get some gloves soon just to help with grip.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I know this has been said, but at the risk of being annoyingly redundant I'll say it again: use a pumice stone to file your callouses down. It won't make them go away completely, but, it will make them smooth and much less noticeable (and help prevent rips).

And gloves won't really protect you from callouses (or rips, gotta take care of your hands).
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I can deadlift 155# and I do not have man-hands. In fact, I am a ballroom/latin dance instructor and people often comment on how soft my hands are. I do not use gloves.

Mehdi at stronglifts.com has information on how to properly care for callouses.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    The callouses aren't a big deal. I just say "meh" and go on with life.
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in January and am getting some callouses too. I've been told to get crossfit gloves to keep the callouses from getting too bad. I've heard horror stories of them getting big or hard enough that they rip off - no one wants that!!! :noway:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sweaty gloves don't give much grip. The one time I really lost a weight I was doing cleans with gloves that were soaked from the workout. The weight flew out of my hand. I've never worn them since. Chalk!
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I started lifting in January and am getting some callouses too. I've been told to get crossfit gloves to keep the callouses from getting too bad. I've heard horror stories of them getting big or hard enough that they rip off - no one wants that!!! :noway:

Even with gloves you'll still build up callouses and eventually they'll rip. You need to file them down, I use a pumice stone but there are other things you can use as well.
  • Laura42012
    Laura42012 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just started the New Rules of Lifting for Women (well it's been about a month now, but still, new!).

I noticed I had baby callouses developing. At first I was confused, then I realized where they were coming from.

Then I was like... AWESOME.

So now I'm proud! (And don't really care about what my hands are like to other people; they're mine and indicative of the road /I'm/ taking in my life, and right now I'm getting stronger and improving my health. Which... is what I want my body to say!)

^^ this

I have them and am quite proud of them. I'd rather have them than jiggly parts. :)
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of mine too!!
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I have callouses. But I have a labor intensive job 8 months out of the year and had them before I started lifting. Gloves WILL help with callouses. BUT- in my experience- as you lift heavier, gloves will contribute to grip issues. The extra fabric makes the circumference of what you have to grip wider. When I lift without gloves I don't have grip failure issues. Every time I use gloves I do.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I mean, it's not too sexy for a girl to have callous-y hands... :grumble:

Some of us might not necessarily agree with that. if I shake hands with a woman and feel callouses, I generally know she lifts and am a bit impressed that she hasn't bought into the whole "I'll do 100 reps of these 3 lbs weights because I'm scared I'll look like a man" bs.
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I want my callouses back. Arnold didn't wear gloves, I don't wear gloves. lol
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Calluses are a sign that you aren't a lazy slob who sits on her butt all day.

Also, my husband thinks they're sexy :)
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I also get calluses from mowing the grass, digging in my flower gardens & hoeing the garden. LIfting weights is just another layer. I will never stop any of these activities.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize callouses were an issue..
    I've had callouses on my hands since I was a teenager.
    I don't lift or anything like that. I've just been working with my hands for many years. Based on where on which hand they're located, I can probably tell you what it's from. Mopping/sweeping, chopping, carrying boxes etc. I've always taken pride in my callouses and just generally beat up hands. I look at them as a sign that I work hard.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I want my callouses back. Arnold didn't wear gloves, I don't wear gloves. lol

Arnold also lifted barefoot. Just saying....
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I have callouses...apparently I have unsexy man-hands...now I know!

ETA: callouses have their uses!

:wink: or :devil: ?