I can eat whatever I want...

Options

Replies

• EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want too. I just watch the calories.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My theory on why you are losing, and I could be completely wrong, but generally those who go on a clean diet cut out a lot of fat and proteins from their diet. Like dairy and butter. They arent supplying the body with essential nutrients and as such the body slows down a bit to conserve. I know there are going to be people who say oh no I eat tons of nuts and avocados and I only eat lean raised organic unicorns with the occasional organic baby Pegasus steak.

However, I bet if you look at what you were eating when you were "clean" a majority of it is pretty low in fat.

Besides isn't it more fun to be a dirty junk food eating girl?
  • greyoutside
    Options
    That's normal. It probably works for you because you don't feel like you're limiting yourself. Unfortunately, that kind of diet will only help your weight. It's not otherwise healthy.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's normal. It probably works for you because you don't feel like you're limiting yourself. Unfortunately, that kind of diet will only help your weight. It's not otherwise healthy.

You'd probably be surprised. All my markers of health (LDL, HDL, triglycerides, blood pressure, aerobic ability, strength, energy levels, flexibility, skin tone, amount of time spent sick) markedly improved after I went from 210 to 165 lbs eating what most people would consider unhealthy food. Then there's the guy who ate nothing but twinkies and the occasional vegetable while losing 27 pounds and experienced the same thing.

Weight is really the most important thing by far, and calorie control is the key to weight management. If more people focused on that one single thing, and forgot about all the rest, fewer people would be obese.
  • I'm all for having "junk" every once in a while, and you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you have a calorie deficit, it's just how the body works. However, I don't think having junk/processed foods everyday is the best for your body's health and nutrition-wise, you could be eating something much better for you in place of that nutrient deficient food. If it helps you to lose weight initially to continue eating those things I think it's fine, but I think everyone's overall goal should be to be healthier. Just my opinion :flowerforyou:

This is me as well. I don't just want to lose weight. If I don't change my eating habits, and that includes the types of foods I eat, the weight will just eventually come back again.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've been lectured by 'experts'' so many times for my love of kiddies cereals (cookie crisp, cheerios, cocopops etc) but they've NEVER hindered my weightloss. ''Refined sugars blah blah''

My argument always is, ''It's MY breakfast, it makes me happy'', Id of never of lost the weight without my sugary cereals, because I just wouldn't have been happy eating ''porridge with linseed'' every morning. D:

I still get my fruit and veggies too!

I DO however make sure I weigh out a correct portion.
    Moderation is the key :)

agreed. I feel great when I eat sugary cereal. I crave SUGAR in the morning. Ive tried the whole grain bread with the egg and veggies and I was starving and felt awful. I think different bodies react differently bc I do not feel unhealthy when I eat "junk" and I dont feel more hungry when I eat sugar/starch. In fact its when i remove these foods that I starve. I need a little treat to feel satsified

I agree with this. While I don't necessarily think that sugar cereals are the way to go :wink: it's totally true that different bodies need/react differently to different things. It's interesting that you crave sugar in the morning and if you have an egg on whole grain bread you feel terrible. I am exactly the opposite!! If I have more than like 5 grams of sugar for breakfast I feel horrible by 10:30am and it just sets my whole day out of whack. I don't even like to eat fruit for breakfast because of it. I am totally good with sugar after lunch though.

Funny these bodies of ours.
  • lucyamason
    Options
    Yes, i try and have processed foods and healthy foods I feel like I'm not depriving myself of nice food and it makes me stay on track =) x
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A guy did a study where he lost weight eating twinkies.

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Unless someone has a condition, certain foods won't make them gain weight or even lose, weight. It just happens that healthier food is less calorie dense and curbs hunger more than junk food.

My eldest daughter is in college and she told me her Bio Prof was talking about this study. Soooo, it really is calz in calz out! BUT, for health, you need proper nutrients to fortify your body.:smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Unless someone has a condition, certain foods won't make them gain weight or even lose, weight. It just happens that healthier food is less calorie dense and curbs hunger more than junk food.

My eldest daughter is in college and she told me her Bio Prof was talking about this study. Soooo, it really is calz in calz out! BUT, for health, you need proper nutrients to fortify your body.:smile:

Define health! The Twinkie guy saw huge decreases in LDL and triglycerides, and his HDL went up! As far as I know, there were no noted decreases with his health. He did eat veggies during this experiment, but the dude lost 20 pounds and his cholesterol improved dramatically.

I think that guy's experience really underscores how important calorie control is relative to everything else.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    as long as I hit 1500 cals or less. Im kind of shocked by this with all the success stories about low carb, clean eating, etc I have found the opposite to be true for me in terms of weight loss: I actually lose weight eating some junk food, sugar, etc.

I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert sometimes instead of healthy alternatives (mostly bc I like that I know the exact calories from the package and also bc it feels like a splurge and keeps me on track) and as long as I stay at or below my cals for the day I seem to still lose weight. Obviously I eat protein and veggies too, but I still eat processed foods and "junk" everyday.
    Does anyone else share my experience?

Your body needs nutrition. If large chunk of your daily calories is taken up by nutritionally devoid foods, there is very little left for foods with high nutritional content.

Sure, I love almond croissants. But I try not to have one more than once a week because if I am only consuming 1,300 calories a day, I can't afford 1/3 of them being empty. So even though a croissant keeps me fuller than an equivalent in calories breakfast of yogurt, nuts and fruit, I have to opt for the latter more often.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    as long as I hit 1500 cals or less. Im kind of shocked by this with all the success stories about low carb, clean eating, etc I have found the opposite to be true for me in terms of weight loss: I actually lose weight eating some junk food, sugar, etc.

I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert sometimes instead of healthy alternatives (mostly bc I like that I know the exact calories from the package and also bc it feels like a splurge and keeps me on track) and as long as I stay at or below my cals for the day I seem to still lose weight. Obviously I eat protein and veggies too, but I still eat processed foods and "junk" everyday.
    Does anyone else share my experience?

Your body needs nutrition. If large chunk of your daily calories is taken up by nutritionally devoid foods, there is very little left for foods with high nutritional content.

Sure, I love almond croissants. But I try not to have one more than once a week because if I am only consuming 1,300 calories a day, I can't afford 1/3 of them being empty. So even though a croissant keeps me fuller than an equivalent in calories breakfast of yogurt, nuts and fruit.

There is no such thing as "nutritionally devoid foods." How long have you been logging?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Now I'm back to only caring about my calories and nothing else in order to re-lose the 20 pounds that I've put back on while eating cleanly and watching my macros. And I'm losing the weight again.

And here I thought I was the only person in the world who actually GAINED weight eating clean and cutting carbs! about 20lbs to be exact

*high five* for finally finding someone else that experienced the same thing. Everyone thinks I'm crazy or must have been counting stuff wrong (I log everything and weigh everything by the gram!) I actually lose more weight when I'm averaging 50-60% carbs. I don't check in on my macros specifically anymore, but I throw everything in a spreadsheet still so I still the trends.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Well, I guess if we all eat Twinkies ,{RIP} we all will be well preserved and have great shelf life!:laugh:

Define health! The Twinkie guy saw huge decreases in LDL and triglycerides, and his HDL went up! As far as I know, there were no noted decreases with his health. He did eat veggies during this experiment, but the dude lost 20 pounds and his cholesterol improved dramatically.

I think that guy's experience really underscores how important calorie control is relative to everything else.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "nutritionally devoid foods." How long have you been logging?

I would say things like Doritos and Pop tarts and soda come pretty close to that definition.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I try to get 20% of my calories daily from beer. It works just fine.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Same here. I started buying single serve items or snack size items to eat between meals. It's about eating less of what you love, not giving it up.
  • Olivia1977
    Olivia1977 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Portion control is key. I eat whatever I want too just in smaller portions. People have problems when they deprive themselves all the time because the food is "bad" and then have a week of splurging and overeating the junk that makes them gain the weight back. I eat plenty of veggies and good stuff too but you can't give up foods completely ever.
  • carfamily08
    Options
    I'm the same way. I eat everything in moderation and don't cut any foods out. Obviously healthy, whole foods are more filling in general but not always. As long as it fits in my goals and I continue to lose it's fair game :) This is a lifestyle change for me, not a diet.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    real simple, calories in verses calories out. I too crave sugar! :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    IIFYM.

Pizza, ice cream, cake, and cookies regularly fit my macros. Nom.