I can eat whatever I want...

Options

Replies

• SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose weight with a calorie deficit. What your eat matters most when you have a certain goal to look like or weight loss has slowed down.

Agreed---this is about more than just a number on a scale. It is about thick, lustrous hair, clear eyes, healthy teeth and gums, a circulatory system that brings good blood perfusion to the brain, a digestive system that works efficiently---I could go on and on but you get the idea. The only things that will build those measures of health is a healthy diet and exercise. Age causes deterioration of all those things but why invite it sooner rather than later?
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert

Yeah. Because I got fat eating single servings of things.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Watch the documentary "Fat Head". That guy eats nothing but fast food for weeks and he loses weight. Is it a good idea? Probably not, but like others have said, calories in versus calories out!

Similar to the guy who made the documentary, "Supersize Me" . After a few weeks of eating nothing but McDonald's, his docs begged him to go off of it.

That guy ate a MASSIVE calorie surplus. He ate something like 5000 calories a day. Of course his docs begged him to get off of that "diet."

Point taken, but the point I was trying to make is "junk food in, junky body out". :tongue:

That's not a valid conclusion to make. "Junk food" doesn't really mean anything anyway. Is a hamburger junk food? What about a grilled chicken sandwich? How about a roast beef sandwich? Macronutrients are macronutrients. Spinach from Subway has the same nutritional value as the kind you buy at the grocery. McDonald's beef is the same as the beef you eat at home, and the buns are the same as the ones you buy at the grocery. Most people won't consider a homemade grilled chicken sandwich to be "junk food" but it is when it's from McD's.

You have to pay attention to the macro content of food. That's what your body cares about. Yes, if you eat bowls of sugar and protein powder and nothing else your health will suffer, but you won't have a "junk body" if you eat fast food. You can, in fact, have an amazing and healthy body even while eating large amounts of fast food.

The human body is literally made of macronutrients and uses macronutrients for energy. It doesn't really matter where those macronutrients come from, other than you want to make sure your'e getting enough micronutrients.

Well, you might have a point if we could be sure that the ingredients used in making fast food were high quality. But, knowing corporate America, we can be sure that profits determine that the lowest quality of ingredients will be used. Of course, we can't even be sure of what is on our store shelves anymore. Tell me, do people really go to Subway and eat spinach? :huh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    as long as I hit 1500 cals or less. Im kind of shocked by this with all the success stories about low carb, clean eating, etc I have found the opposite to be true for me in terms of weight loss: I actually lose weight eating some junk food, sugar, etc.

I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert sometimes instead of healthy alternatives (mostly bc I like that I know the exact calories from the package and also bc it feels like a splurge and keeps me on track) and as long as I stay at or below my cals for the day I seem to still lose weight. Obviously I eat protein and veggies too, but I still eat processed foods and "junk" everyday.
    Does anyone else share my experience?

Your body needs nutrition. If large chunk of your daily calories is taken up by nutritionally devoid foods, there is very little left for foods with high nutritional content.

Sure, I love almond croissants. But I try not to have one more than once a week because if I am only consuming 1,300 calories a day, I can't afford 1/3 of them being empty. So even though a croissant keeps me fuller than an equivalent in calories breakfast of yogurt, nuts and fruit.

There is no such thing as "nutritionally devoid foods." How long have you been logging?

There are plenty of "foods" that are deficient in many nutrients except one--carbohydrates. They are nice and we like them, but carbohydrates like table sugar, will NOT promote health.

They don't *harm* health at all, so long as your diet also includes proteins, fats, vitamins, and minerals. Carbs are a nutrient, but they are not the *only* nutrient.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary "Fat Head". That guy eats nothing but fast food for weeks and he loses weight. Is it a good idea? Probably not, but like others have said, calories in versus calories out!

Similar to the guy who made the documentary, "Supersize Me" . After a few weeks of eating nothing but McDonald's, his docs begged him to go off of it.

That guy ate a MASSIVE calorie surplus. He ate something like 5000 calories a day. Of course his docs begged him to get off of that "diet."

Point taken, but the point I was trying to make is "junk food in, junky body out". :tongue:

That's not a valid conclusion to make. "Junk food" doesn't really mean anything anyway. Is a hamburger junk food? What about a grilled chicken sandwich? How about a roast beef sandwich? Macronutrients are macronutrients. Spinach from Subway has the same nutritional value as the kind you buy at the grocery. McDonald's beef is the same as the beef you eat at home, and the buns are the same as the ones you buy at the grocery. Most people won't consider a homemade grilled chicken sandwich to be "junk food" but it is when it's from McD's.

You have to pay attention to the macro content of food. That's what your body cares about. Yes, if you eat bowls of sugar and protein powder and nothing else your health will suffer, but you won't have a "junk body" if you eat fast food. You can, in fact, have an amazing and healthy body even while eating large amounts of fast food.

The human body is literally made of macronutrients and uses macronutrients for energy. It doesn't really matter where those macronutrients come from, other than you want to make sure your'e getting enough micronutrients.

Well, you might have a point if we could be sure that the ingredients used in making fast food were high quality. But, knowing corporate America, we can be sure that profits determine that the lowest quality of ingredients will be used. Of course, we can't even be sure of what is on our store shelves anymore. Tell me, do people really go to Subway and eat spinach? :huh:

Turns out your body doesn't care whether a gram of protein comes from a "quality" source or not. It doesn't even know. Amino acids are amino acids.

And yes, people eat spinach at subway. Double meat roast beef toasted with spinach, tomato, and mustard is awesome.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm all for having "junk" every once in a while, and you can lose weight eating whatever you want as long as you have a calorie deficit, it's just how the body works. However, I don't think having junk/processed foods everyday is the best for your body's health and nutrition-wise, you could be eating something much better for you in place of that nutrient deficient food. If it helps you to lose weight initially to continue eating those things I think it's fine, but I think everyone's overall goal should be to be healthier. Just my opinion :flowerforyou:

THIS!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Turns out your body doesn't care whether a gram of protein comes from a "quality" source or not. It doesn't even know. Amino acids are amino acids.

And yes, people eat spinach at subway. Double meat roast beef toasted with spinach, tomato, and mustard is awesome.

But we have strayed from the original OP that you can eat "NOT spinach" and lose weight. That is no doubt true. But the point that I and others were making is that, yes, you can lose weight, if that is all you care about. BUT health is very important in the long run and eating to maximize it is a good investment for the future. Yes?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    The "junk" keeps me hungry and craving for more. So I stay away from it. If it works for you then great! I wish I could do it.

This is my problem as well.

If you don't mind, how old are some of you guys that can eat all of that sugar and still feel great and lose/maintain your weight?
    Personally, it seems like the older I get, the fewer carbs I can tolerate.
    I'm 49 and have no problem tolerating carbs. Actually, since I run, I consider them fuel. And like others who have posted here, my diet isn't all sugar. Sure, I was over on sugar today according to my macros--but I was also over on protein. And fiber. And vitamins A & C. Under on cholesterol, under on saturated fat. Still have 13 carbs left, too!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    cool
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    But we have strayed from the original OP that you can eat "NOT spinach" and lose weight. That is no doubt true. But the point that I and others were making is that, yes, you can lose weight, if that is all you care about. BUT health is very important in the long run and eating to maximize it is a good investment for the future. Yes?

Yes, but even the OP specified that she eats protein and veggies in addition to the treats the she enjoys. In fact, I did not see one person on this thread says they eat all fast food and sugar or that they avoid all healthy foods. Enjoying your favorite foods within the overall context of a balanced diet is a good thing for many people. It certainly helps me stay on track because I never feel like I am deprived.
  • Jrredman87
    Options
    It's this simple, calories out need to be greater then calories in. This equals weight loss.
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My theory on why you are losing, and I could be completely wrong, but generally those who go on a clean diet cut out a lot of fat and proteins from their diet. Like dairy and butter. They arent supplying the body with essential nutrients and as such the body slows down a bit to conserve. I know there are going to be people who say oh no I eat tons of nuts and avocados and I only eat lean raised organic unicorns with the occasional organic baby Pegasus steak.

However, I bet if you look at what you were eating when you were "clean" a majority of it is pretty low in fat.

Besides isn't it more fun to be a dirty junk food eating girl?

Oh my gosh I LOVED this comment. You're so right...people on MFP really get on their high horses about eating clean. Life is about balance, and you articulated that so well. Obviously we can't survive on Doritos, but a bag here and there won't hurt.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between losing weight and being healthy..

easy to lose weight.. eat less.. not much to it.. Don't care about truly being healthy? Just eat less. done deal.

To be truly healthy.. for the long term? Chips won't cut it. That doesn't mean you can never have a chip or a fried something ever again. But all that stuff adds up.. grease, low quality foods, sodium, pre packaged frozen crap. It'll catch up with most of us eventually. Again.. that doesn't mean eating it once in a while will harm anyone.. eating it often however.. risky business..

A grilled chicken breast at McDonalds is hardly the same as one that I grill at home. No grease, no salt, usually fresh, usually free range chicken that I use at home.. vastly different. Not cooked on the same grill as the low quality barely fit for consumption pre-made, frozen hamburgers you get at McDonalds. if it is the "same" why is the it double the calories of my home-made ones? And no i don't need or want fries with that nor do I like the soda or the apple pie. (i make 5 minute apples that taste like pie and are super healthy. no sugar, no additives, no crust, no extra goop. just apples cinnamon and a microwave) Not to mention.. you really don't know what you are getting. Sure the website says one thing.. but that doesn't mean they actually measured, or cooked it that way.. Also my homemade quesadillas? Way less calories then any fast food/restaurant.. and just as yummy! Plus I can put more stuff on them, since they are lower in calories. I just have to figure out artichoke spinach dip and I'll be set!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Yes, but it is my opinion that calorie intake matters much, much, much more than any other concern. Protein intake is the next thing to worry about. Beyond those two things, not a whole lot else really matters as long as at least a portion of your diet includes fruits and veggies.

Also - again, my opinion - all the time people spend complaining about "processed" or "junk" food and demonizing "fast food" is a lot of wasted argument.

Hit your macros, make sure you're eating a few veggies, and to hell with the rest. It really doesn't seem to matter much. Exercise and body mass control matter SO much more than anything else.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    if it is the "same" why is the it double the calories of my home-made ones?

You can make a grilled chicken sandwich at home with 27 g of protein for only 150 calories? Cause the one from McD's is 300. Including the bun.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

You can make a grilled chicken sandwich at home with 27 g of protein for only 150 calories? Cause the one from McD's is 300. Including the bun.

Ok... I made home-made pinapple mango chicken, yea not the same.. but I haven't made a chicken sandwich in a while. 6 oz of chicken.. a cup on pinapple- mango salsa. 321 calories, 40 grams of protein, 11 grams of fat 108mg of sodium.. if I had shredded it and wrapped in in a tortilla you can add about 50 calories to that. ...
    compared to...
    Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich (lowest calorie chicken sandwich I could find on their site which I know is not the same.)
    (Daily Value)
    Calories 350 (with 80 calories from fat which mine would be half if not less then half)
    Total Fat 9g 13%
    Carbohydrates 42g 14%
    Protein 28g
    Sodium 820mg 34%

yea.. it's not the same items. but mine is still much better for you. If you take the mango salsa off my chicken breast is only 198 calories and 38 grams of protein and 4 grams of fat... And i'd put it on a tortilla with tomato and lettuce or homemade salsa. So yup.. much much healthier. and I'll stand corrected.. It's 2/3s the calories.. give or take a few.. and minus all the salt and fat. (this is also assuming that the McDonalds you get yours at cooked it the same exact way, with the same amount of everything and the same amount of toppings as they did in the test kitchen.. good luck with that.. lol)
  • drchimpanzee
    Options

Who the hell wants to order a grilled chicken sandwich at McDonald's???? I always went for the double quarter pounder.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    The success of eating whatever you want and losing weight probably depends to some extent on what you want. I always get hung up on the distinction between "whatever I want" and "everything I want."
  • drchimpanzee
    Options
    The success of eating whatever you want and losing weight probably depends to some extent on what you want. I always get hung up on the distinction between "whatever I want" and "everything I want."

This is the most common sense summation of this subject I've ever read. I think people trying to lose 10lbs or go from a 6 pack to an 8 pack don't really grasp this concept at all.
  • RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Did you guys see the post from the other thread about the obesity epidemic with the picture from McD's advertising their "*kitten* Burgers"? Kinda makes you want to stay away from that place. I want to be thin and healthy and live a long time. This is why I eat healthy and clean MOST of the time. Also, less crap I eat, the less I crave it. You really can train your body to love the taste of nutrient dense food. Without all the sugar, salt and processed fat, you can actually taste the food so much better! That said, when they are offering samples of warm white chocolate raspberry brownies right out of the oven, at the "health food store", I may allow myself a sample :smile: And I am grateful to be able to do that with no regrets, ditto the nonfat 1 pump mocha, almost daily.