I can eat whatever I want...

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "nutritionally devoid foods." How long have you been logging?

I would say things like Doritos and Pop tarts and soda come pretty close to that definition.

Nope! Even pure sugar gives you carbohydrates, which is a macro-nutrient.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I can basically do the same. I tend to like healthier foods such as vegetables and fruits, so I just make more of a conscious effort to eat more of those foods than I used to. I still eat the "bad" food that I like, just less of it.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    The "junk" keeps me hungry and craving for more. So I stay away from it. If it works for you then great! I wish I could do it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've had great success with my weight loss and I think it's because I haven't cut junk completely out of my diet (that's why I don't crave). I still eat junk, but in small portions and only if I have enough calories left after eating all of the good foods. I pretty much follow the 80/20 rule - 80% healthier foods, 20% crap.

I've cut junk completely out of my diet and I don't crave either. I must work to stay very well-nourished though or the temptations get stronger. When you are young, you don't much think about the long term consequences of bad/empty-calorie-eating. When you get older and sicker you will. Believe me---I have sad experience in that department. :cry: Good health is a gift---please don't waste it.
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "nutritionally devoid foods." How long have you been logging?

I would say things like Doritos and Pop tarts and soda come pretty close to that definition.

The OP said "some", not that her ENTIRE diet consisted of those foods.

I'm with ya, OP. Sure, I make healthier choices when I can, but my day is a mix of what can be considered "clean" and/or "nutrient dense" with a bit of processed stuff tossed in. For me it was all about the portion control, and once I learned that I managed to lose the weight, improved my health, and have successfully maintained for a year.
  • Louiseisme
    Options
    I agree with op, I eat pretty much what I want as long as it fits in my calories, Today was a tough one at work, came home and did a workout video before running my son to TKDO class, decided frozen yogurt sounded good after the day I had, checked cals and decided that would be my dinner tonight, I don't do it every day but the occasional splurge within range helps to concrete the fact this is a lifestyle not a diet. Each their own, it works for me and I have been living this way for over a year, only really tracking since Sept. 2012.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yes it is all about calories in and calories out...BUT....I personally feel better when I don't eat certain foods.
  • feellikerain
    feellikerain Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Watch the documentary "Fat Head". That guy eats nothing but fast food for weeks and he loses weight. Is it a good idea? Probably not, but like others have said, calories in versus calories out!
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    A guy did a study where he lost weight eating twinkies.

It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Unless someone has a condition, certain foods won't make them gain weight or even lose, weight. It just happens that healthier food is less calorie dense and curbs hunger more than junk food.

My eldest daughter is in college and she told me her Bio Prof was talking about this study. Soooo, it really is calz in calz out! BUT, for health, you need proper nutrients to fortify your body.:smile:

Define health! The Twinkie guy saw huge decreases in LDL and triglycerides, and his HDL went up! As far as I know, there were no noted decreases with his health. He did eat veggies during this experiment, but the dude lost 20 pounds and his cholesterol improved dramatically.

I think that guy's experience really underscores how important calorie control is relative to everything else.

Short term. It really wasn't the "Twinkie" diet. He cheated a bit by eating vegetables. But, seriously, if he ate Twinkies alone, he would be deficient in many nutrients before long.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Watch the documentary "Fat Head". That guy eats nothing but fast food for weeks and he loses weight. Is it a good idea? Probably not, but like others have said, calories in versus calories out!

Similar to the guy who made the documentary, "Supersize Me" . After a few weeks of eating nothing but McDonald's, his docs begged him to go off of it.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I can eat whatever I want and lose too, as long as I stay under my calorie goal. However, because my weight is only one part of my health that I'm trying to manage, I eat clean as well. It's good for both your physical and mental health. Plus, you can eat SO MUCH MORE when you're consuming clean and healthy foods. And, boy I do like to eat! :)
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    as long as I hit 1500 cals or less. Im kind of shocked by this with all the success stories about low carb, clean eating, etc I have found the opposite to be true for me in terms of weight loss: I actually lose weight eating some junk food, sugar, etc.

I am eatting single servings of eggo waffles, candy, doritos sometimes as snacks/dessert sometimes instead of healthy alternatives (mostly bc I like that I know the exact calories from the package and also bc it feels like a splurge and keeps me on track) and as long as I stay at or below my cals for the day I seem to still lose weight. Obviously I eat protein and veggies too, but I still eat processed foods and "junk" everyday.
    Does anyone else share my experience?

Your body needs nutrition. If large chunk of your daily calories is taken up by nutritionally devoid foods, there is very little left for foods with high nutritional content.

Sure, I love almond croissants. But I try not to have one more than once a week because if I am only consuming 1,300 calories a day, I can't afford 1/3 of them being empty. So even though a croissant keeps me fuller than an equivalent in calories breakfast of yogurt, nuts and fruit.

There are plenty of "foods" that are deficient in many nutrients except one--carbohydrates. They are nice and we like them, but carbohydrates like table sugar, will NOT promote health.
  • BullletproofPaleoman
    Options
    The "junk" keeps me hungry and craving for more. So I stay away from it. If it works for you then great! I wish I could do it.

This is my problem as well.

If you don't mind, how old are some of you guys that can eat all of that sugar and still feel great and lose/maintain your weight?
    Personally, it seems like the older I get, the fewer carbs I can tolerate.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    I try to get 20% of my calories daily from beer. It works just fine.

Have you consulted your liver on that?
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

This is my problem as well.

If you don't mind, how old are some of you guys that can eat all of that sugar and still feel great and lose/maintain your weight?
    Personally, it seems like the older I get, the fewer carbs I can tolerate.

Yep. Ahh youth---it truly is "wasted on the young". :wink:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Similar to the guy who made the documentary, "Supersize Me" . After a few weeks of eating nothing but McDonald's, his docs begged him to go off of it.

That guy ate a MASSIVE calorie surplus. He ate something like 5000 calories a day. Of course his docs begged him to get off of that "diet."
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

That guy ate a MASSIVE calorie surplus. He ate something like 5000 calories a day. Of course his docs begged him to get off of that "diet."

Point taken, but the point I was trying to make is "junk food in, junky body out". :tongue:
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Anyone can lose weight with a calorie deficit. What your eat matters most when you have a certain goal to look like or weight loss has slowed down.
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is the best thing to ever happen to me. I'm glad you've seen the light, my friend.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Point taken, but the point I was trying to make is "junk food in, junky body out". :tongue:

That's not a valid conclusion to make. "Junk food" doesn't really mean anything anyway. Is a hamburger junk food? What about a grilled chicken sandwich? How about a roast beef sandwich? Macronutrients are macronutrients. Spinach from Subway has the same nutritional value as the kind you buy at the grocery. McDonald's beef is the same as the beef you eat at home, and the buns are the same as the ones you buy at the grocery. Most people won't consider a homemade grilled chicken sandwich to be "junk food" but it is when it's from McD's.

You have to pay attention to the macro content of food. That's what your body cares about. Yes, if you eat bowls of sugar and protein powder and nothing else your health will suffer, but you won't have a "junk body" if you eat fast food. You can, in fact, have an amazing and healthy body even while eating large amounts of fast food.

The human body is literally made of macronutrients and uses macronutrients for energy. It doesn't really matter where those macronutrients come from, other than you want to make sure your'e getting enough micronutrients.