When is 1200 calories appropriate? (hint: almost never)

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/74/5/579.long

That discusses a meta-analysis of 23 studies spanning thousands of participants.

Conclusions: Five years after completing structured weight-loss programs, the average individual maintained a weight loss of >3 kg and a reduced weight of >3% of initial body weight. After VLEDs or weight loss of ≥20 kg, individuals maintained significantly more weight loss than after HBDs or weight losses of <10 kg.

From within the study: weight-loss maintenance, percentage weight-loss maintenance, and reduced weight were significantly lower with HBDs than VLEDs.

And also within: After VLEDs or after weight losses of ≥20 kg, individuals maintained a significantly greater weight loss at 5 y than after HBDs or weight losses of ≤10 kg. Our analysis suggest that individuals are more likely to sustain long-term weight losses of ≥5% of initial body weight if they participate in VLEDs or lose ≥20 kg initially. This is not consistent with the common recommendation that individuals lose weight slowly and set initial weight-loss goals of ≈5% of their body weight (3,6).

(In plain English- dieters who lost their weight on deeper deficits maintained significantly better 5 years out than those with more shallow deficits.)
  • maybyn
    maybyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When is 1200 calories appropriate? (hint: almost never)

Did not read the entire thread but want to expand on your title:

"When is 1200 calories appropriate? (hint: almost never).... for LONG TERM weight control"

I personally don't see any problems with wanting to eat 1200 cals for a week or two weeks or even 4 weeks. However, it's unlikely to be sustainable for a year or two years or more.
  • sullengirl78
    sullengirl78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    2csj608.jpg
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Got to page 8 of this thread with my fingers firmly in my ears going 'la la la 1200 calories is fine, I can't hear you'
    Then I went and changed my goals.
    Thanks, I probably needed to hear this (my ideal weight is pretty ridiculous too but I will fix it later).
  • Charlottie88
    Options
    I used to think I had to eat 1200 or under to lose weight. Have been eating around 1600 since mid November and even with some cheat days, I've lost over a stone. So glad I finally came to my senses and educated myself on the healthier way to lose weight.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    2csj608.jpg

Off topic, but I miss Celebrity Death Match!!
  • nicupson
    nicupson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are the same. 200 calories worth of Doritos won't give you the same nutritional value as a 200 calorie salad.

At the same time, 1200 sounds awfully low for the general populace. Ultimately, it all depends on the individual. :-)
  • alyssa42012
    Options
    Aside from 38, I fit that perfectly o.O
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I weigh 183 starting this for a second time and MFP started me off with 1200 but when I calculated BMR it gave me 1,560 calories... The first time I used MFP I was a little less (176 lbs) than how much I'm starting with now so it USED to be 1340 calories.... how many calories should I bump it up?? Should I put it back to 1340?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Not all calories are the same. 200 calories worth of Doritos won't give you the same nutritional value as a 200 calorie salad.

At the same time, 1200 sounds awfully low for the general populace. Ultimately, it all depends on the individual. :-)

200 calories of salad won't give you the same nutritional value as 200 calories of liver either...

...or 200 calories of (tiny) hamburger...

....but for weight loss purposes, they're relatively (and materially) the same.
  • _runbitchrun
    _runbitchrun Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Question, do you mean 1200 calories all together with working out
    ... or with out it... like today I'm at 1800(ish) because of working out.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    if you are a sedentary 38-year old woman, who is 4'10" and weighs 115lbs and does not exercise, then your TDEE-20% would be approximately 1200 calories.

Sedentary 48 year ol 4;10" and 98 pounds. Exercises 5 days a week but eats back workout calories. I'd Love to hear I normally get more than 1,200.... but I don't think I do. :(
  • mymadori
    mymadori Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The link in the first post doesn't seem to be working. :-(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sedentary 48 year ol 4;10" and 98 pounds. Exercises 5 days a week but eats back workout calories. I'd Love to hear I normally get more than 1,200.... but I don't think I do. :(

Yep, very true.

With 3 x 60 min intense cardio and 2 x 60 weight lifting - your TDEE is probably around 1450 on average.

15% deficit since little to lose, only 1225 to lose some weight.

That's probably why I see so many short women runners at races, about the only way they get to eat more. Lots of cardio.
  • DavidMStephens
    Options
    MFP always advised me to eat 1700+ calories, never have I seen it go to 1200. If I only eat 1200 or less, it actually warns me that I am eating too little.

I have been on a strict 1000-1200 calorie diet a few times in my life. Three years back, I lost 60 pounds in a matter of 7 weeks adhering to it religiously. However, when I returned to work (we have summers off), I started my bad habits but it took 3 years to put all the weight back on.

January 1, I started the diet again. I usually net about 1000 calories a day. I have lost ten pounds in 9 days. Yes, you are hungry for the first few weeks but you curb your appetite by bulking up on good calories. Calories in one pound of broccoli is MUCH less than a "diet meal" that will leave you hungry.

This "diet" is a way to discover new, healthier foods, shrink your stomach so you get full faster and get use to smaller portions. Should you be one 1000 calories forever? NO. But for a month or two, as long as you adjust yourself as needed (getting too tired all the time, up the calorie count, etc.) Then, when it is time to get off the diet, you get full faster and you have a taste for GOOD food and not fast food. Don't do what I did and overeat after you get off your diet. That is how the pounds get put back on.

So please understand that under certain circumstances and under supervision of yourself (and maybe a loved one), a 1000-1200 calorie diet can be good. It wasn't until the advent of the fridge that we became such over eaters. Why are other DEVELOPED countries skinner? Because they do not gorge like us. They eat enough to survive.

PS. Before people try to throw "medical papers" at me about health risks. Answer this for me: "Why does the gastric bypass weight loss surgery do to make you lose weight?"

Answer: Makes your stomach so small that you eat very little, therefore, your calorie intake is minimal (usually only a couple of hundred for the first few months). I call my diet the "Gastric Bypass diet without the surgery".
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    MFP always advised me to eat 1700+ calories, never have I seen it go to 1200. If I only eat 1200 or less, it actually warns me that I am eating too little.

I have been on a strict 1000-1200 calorie diet a few times in my life. Three years back, I lost 60 pounds in a matter of 7 weeks adhering to it religiously. However, when I returned to work (we have summers off), I started my bad habits but it took 3 years to put all the weight back on.

January 1, I started the diet again. I usually net about 1000 calories a day. I have lost ten pounds in 9 days. Yes, you are hungry for the first few weeks but you curb your appetite by bulking up on good calories. Calories in one pound of broccoli is MUCH less than a "diet meal" that will leave you hungry.

This "diet" is a way to discover new, healthier foods, shrink your stomach so you get full faster and get use to smaller portions. Should you be one 1000 calories forever? NO. But for a month or two, as long as you adjust yourself as needed (getting too tired all the time, up the calorie count, etc.) Then, when it is time to get off the diet, you get full faster and you have a taste for GOOD food and not fast food. Don't do what I did and overeat after you get off your diet. That is how the pounds get put back on.

So please understand that under certain circumstances and under supervision of yourself (and maybe a loved one), a 1000-1200 calorie diet can be good. It wasn't until the advent of the fridge that we became such over eaters. Why are other DEVELOPED countries skinner? Because they do not gorge like us. They eat enough to survive.

PS. Before people try to throw "medical papers" at me about health risks. Answer this for me: "Why does the gastric bypass weight loss surgery do to make you lose weight?"

Answer: Makes your stomach so small that you eat very little, therefore, your calorie intake is minimal (usually only a couple of hundred for the first few months). I call my diet the "Gastric Bypass diet without the surgery".

Oh god there is so much wrong with this post *backs out of thread quietly*
  • DavidMStephens
    Options

"He who claims able to cast stones but doesn't does not mean they ARE able to cast stone."

I am curious on what is SO wrong with a personal story???? No where in there did I claim expertise or medical documentation. I simply spoke of experience. So please, cast thy stone.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

"He who claims able to cast stones but doesn't does not mean they ARE able to cast stone."

I am curious on what is SO wrong with a personal story???? No where in there did I claim expertise or medical documentation. I simply spoke of experience. So please, cast thy stone.

I'm not the one who said that, but I suspect that she may have had a problem with the "makes your stomach so small" claim.

But like I said, I'm just guessing here.
  • Gretel086
    Options
    I just started on monday I have been eating 1200 calories for the last 5days, I weighed myself today and I have gained 2 Kgs! Why would this be?