? to women burning 700+ calories a workout

Options

Replies

• sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Options
    I just wanted to weigh in.

My roommate weighs 100 pounds more then me. When we work out together she burns 1000 calories on the elliptical in an hour and I burn 400 doing the exact same intensity workout. It's kind of crazy and honestly at first it annoyed me (especially since I'd be sweating buckets and she'd barely break a sweat) but I guess when you weigh so much the body has to work much harder.

We don't work out together anymore, I prefer short intense workouts to long drawn out ones, but sometimes after a 30 minute run when I see that I've only burned 300 calories it can be a bit frustrating still. HAHA.
  • anybristow
    Options
    Elliptical! I can burn 740 calories in 45 minutes, I love and hate it!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The smaller you get the harder it is to achieve a high burn number. 75 minutes of weight work will get me 394 calories, that's 30 seconds btw sets, then add on 1 hour step aerobics, another 302 this is high intensity full out with a 10 inch step! i'm 5'3 110lbs...and I gotta give it my all to hit 700 calories in under 2.5 hours, no easy task! I don't really worry though about number of calories, rather then the intensity of my workout, burning 300 calories in 1/2 hour at a high intensity is much better on MY body, result wise then 1 hour at a moderate intensity..gotta find what works for you.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Rollerblading!!!

55 mins = 700 calories. I'm 5'4 145 lbs. It keeps my heart rate at no less than 85% of my target for the whole time I'm out there.

60 minutes Elliptical = level 9, incline about 6 = 550 calories

60 minutes Step class = 1 riser = almost 500 calories

60 minute Zumba = depending how hard I work = 650 calories

I gotta try swimming with my HRM. Running is out; bad knees. :ohwell:

Great Question!!! I love to see different Stats :bigsmile:
  • beatnik
    Options
    I also play roller derby and it is definitely the highest calorie burning workout I do! Spin is high up there too.
    I practice roller derby 3x a week for 1.5-2 hours. I love skating and playing so much it doesn't feel like a chore, it's my passion. I also do a 1-hr spin class once a week (with a 90 minute class every 5th week) which is awesome for endurance. I balance out all the cardio with some strength training once or twice a week. Skating tones your legs and *kitten* like you wouldn't believe!
  • beki_incubus
    Options
    Cross trainer is the ultimate workout machine!! Resistance 15 height 30 and off you go! 800 cals is easier then ;) in 13 and do this all the time... Makes you feel great! Tired, but great! Actually on my workout now :))) don't forget, really upbeat music is a must xxx
  • nicholawelch
    nicholawelch Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I burnt over 700 doing 30 treadmill 4.5mph gradient 2, 10 mins bike effort 3, 45 mins aqua class and 45 mins swimming. I was a bit tired after but was well worth and will deffo do it again.

I weigh 191lbs and 4ft 11 in
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I pay no attention to the calorie burn reports. They're frequently inaccurate and the less you weigh the fewer calories you burn. I focus instead on staying at say, 85% of my max for most of my workout after my warm up.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have only burnt that many once (at the time, I was in the 130's in weight and burnt over 1,000 calories), and that was from a rigorous 6-hour mountain hike.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    RUNNING. I weigh 142 and burn 100 calories for each mile i run (about).
    Me too... 138 and my miles are going up.
  • calalily77
    calalily77 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I have only burnt over 700 once and that was at Zumba. Its an hour class but my teacher is super high energy and there isnt much breaking going on except if you take a quick sip of water. I am 132 lbs. All my other works outs including p90x bring me to about 650 at most. I love roller derby. Would love to join one day!
  • femmi1120
    femmi1120 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Usually when I get over 700 in one workout, it's interval training on the elliptical (1 hr + cooldown)

I weigh about 122 and I'm 4'11"
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    Elliptical!....I have been able to burn 815 calories in 62 minutes on resistance level 3......makes you feel great!

I average about 250 per 30 minutes on an eliptical - maybe Im just not working hard enough?!

I average 200 cals per 16 mins on Elliptical. I keep it on level 10(or the highest one) and speed about 6.3
  • whitm2103
    whitm2103 Posts: 41
    Options
    I weigh 130 and if you go on the treadmill and put it at max incline and run at 5.0+ mph you should get there. I did last night switching between walking at 4.0 mph and running at 6.0 mph
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I burn about that per workout, I do the 30 day Shred AND then run on the treadmill or do hills on the treadmill. :-) I'm about 206 right now... and use a HRM
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I weigh 434 and I'm 6'1" and every day I exercise, I burn around 800 in aquatic aerobics/calisthenics, and another 500-800 cycling.

It's a lot easier for me though as I'm a gigantic person... my TDEE is 3293 right now. I wear a BodyMedia Fit Link to monitor this.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Here's a calculator to see how many calories you can burn by heart rate:
    http://www.easycalculation.com/health/heart-rate-calorie-burn-known-vo2.php

My big calorie burns are running and cycling.
  • missxjuicy
    missxjuicy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    doing zumba and aerobics
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Mountain biking or riding trails will burn that much at minimum in an hour. Today I went easy and walked some parts as I'm still fatigued from yesterday's ride. .but it's an excellent way to burn AND have fun!

I'm 5'9, weigh 170-175 (depends) and I go hard (fast too) as much as possible. It's an intense, but fun activity!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Usually I burn around 3-600 and my gym sessions are around an hour, but yesterday I managed a 700 calorie burn in 70 minutes.

It was legs (and back) day at the gym. Squats and deadlifts burn major calories for me. By the end of that workout I was sweating LOADS and so exhausted!!

I could also burn around the same amount (~10 calories a minute) doing intense cardio or interval training.

I weigh 144lbs.