? to women burning 700+ calories a workout

Options

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    My biggest workouts involve biking and hiking, and it's usually several hours. I burn at least 1500 on a full day. I'm 5'7" and 150ish. I was burning more at 185 and i wasn't even attempting that kind of stuff at 230.

I'm just getting in to more weight training and i hear you get a good burn with that.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    hmmm...

~70 minute bike ride to work on a windy day
    60-70 minute jog
    60 minute session in the gym half on elliptical on high intensity, other half on treadmill running intervalls.
    3 back to back sessions of 30day shred any lvl.

basically in theory anything that gets me huffing, puffing, and sweating for 60+ minutes ;) Usually takes me more like 80+ minutes if it is in one session because I'll need a breather inbetween.

I usually wear my Polar FT4 HRM.
  • taxacctdfw
    taxacctdfw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I do various HARD Cardio to get my 700+ calories a workout. I always were my heart rate monitor. I run/walk (when my ankle is hurting) at various speeds and incline when I am on the treadmill at the gym. I do Zumba class at the gym and I also do the elliptical. Or I swim laps. I get 700 + in a 45 minute workout. Earlier this week I did a 60 minute workout running on the treadmill at the hotel gym and burned over 1000 calories.

I am 5' 10 1/2 inches tall. Won't give my exact weight (still personal to me) but I am almost half to my goal weight... And with these workouts and my personal trainer, I am moving down the scale :)

Keep up the good work. Each body is different.......
  • NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I do the Arc Trainer (it like an elliptical and stair stepper mixed ), we have a love/hate relationship. LOL. I am 250lbs, if I have my resistance high 50+ then I burn 1100-1400 in a 60 min workout, If my resistance is lower and my incline higher (making it easier to move it) then i burn 700-1000 in a 60 min workout. Weight has alot to do with it, but so does the workout itself. If your just on the machine and not testing what can be done with it, then your not gonna burn as much.

Good luck
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have a student in my class who burns around 600-700 cals during 60 minutes in my class. She probably weighs 125. i teach HARD CORE SPIN. We do spin, squats, isometrics, calf raises, etc. Its a complete workout in an hour.
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    5'2 - 132 lbs
    elliptical 1 hr - 600 kcal
    then
    moderate swimming 1hr - 400 kcal
    my muscles are never sore after this
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    My best burns are things like hiking or rock climbing, where you go for longer than an hour. As a general rule for me, based on my bodybugg, I can burn 6 cals/minute doing something sustainably cardiovascular (I can peak higher, but that isn't maintainable over time). So I need a long run or something to get to 700. I'm 142 lb.

I think a big thing is that a lot of people are going off machine values for calorie burns... and those can be very... optimistic.
  • bfairbanks1982
    bfairbanks1982 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do 60 minutes of cardio and like to change it up between the elliptical (do interval training to change up resistance), stair-elliptical, stair master (kicks my butt!!) and treadmill (working on my jogging, if I'm walking it is at in incline :smile: )
    I then do 20-40minutes of strength training, but do it in circuits so I'm never "resting" between sets
    I weigh 272 right now and this burns me between 600-900 calories
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    7+ miles of running gets me around 700 calories.
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A friend gave me her elliptical trainer, and I love it. When I first started, I was only able to stay on it for 2 minutes. Now, I'm working it and I can stay on it for 30 minutes to an hour. I'm still at resistance level 2, but slowly working my way up to level 3. I remember when I first started, I thought level 2 was really, really hard. Now it's a breeze. I'm moving on up and it feels good.

Have you tried watching a film whilst you work out on the elliptical? I do that and I almost forget that I'm exercising and find it easier to maintain intensity - that way I burn about 600-650 an hour.
  • ruffalicious
    ruffalicious Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    An hour of zumba i burn 400cals, then an hour of running another 400, or an hour in stationary bike 400 and 2x workout of 30 day shred. ;) i am 135, when i started i was 158lbs and i work out 6x a week eating 1200-1300cals and burning 500-1000 cals. I was so motivated when i first started, i lost 20lbs in 10weeks.
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I weigh 210lbs and I burn about 10 cals a minute depending on the activity. Even in hot yoga I burn 10 cals a minute, on average. I have a pretty high exercise heart rate.. usually I run, and I used to burn even more than that in spinning class. Even lifting weights I average about 7-8 cals a minute, but my HR gets pretty high when I lift, too.
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I don't like doing workouts that round off to less than 1,000 calories. I'm just weird. :') My workouts tend to consist of 30 minutes, 30 stationary bike and 35 on the weights. I also have 30 minutes worth of walking to and from the gym. :) But then, I probably weigh more than some, so the calories come off more at the minute? Not sure!
  • LanaMcL
    LanaMcL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    burned 705 today by going for a walk! did 7.33 miles and it took 125 minutes :)

blew away the cobwebs!
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    On mondays, tuesdays, thursdays and fridays I try to do an hour of cardio (half on elliptical at +5 resistance and half on treadmill at +3.5 resistance at 3.7 pace) then spend 25 minutes doing my 30 day shred dvd then 25 minutes doing pilates. I burn an average of about 900 cals on a regular workout day. When I just do my hour of cardio and a few strength machines I burn a little over 700.

Oh, and I'm 5'3 and weigh 148.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The elliptical! I've been burning between 800 -995 in 65 minutes. I have the resistance set to either 2 or 3. I weigh 248.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm 197 lb and do a lot of cardio, whether it's running or TABBING (fast walking pace 15min miles), but I'm usually out for about an hour or more which is why my burn is so great.
  • Janiot
    Janiot Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Climbing big hills!
    I use FITBIT to calculate - I found the polar HRM was calculating lots more!
    I am now 164 lbs - 5Ft 5 1/2 inches and 53 yrs old!
    :happy:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Running - I burn close to 900 cals on a 80 minute long run..... Spinning can get me over 600 for an hour....I weigh 176 and is 5'8.5
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Days where I get those kind of burns...usually 45-60 mins on elliptical, I go for resistance level 10. Then either half hr training session or hr pilates class.