sugar is toxic

Options
BurtHuttz
BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
hi. i read here a bunch that really processed foods and foods with preservatives are bad for you. but ive also heard a bunch of people say that sugar is toxic!?! does anyone know what sort of toxins come from sugar?

Replies

• dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Raspberry ketones.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Fat, and fat is the sole cause of heart disease...
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Sweet sweet poison. I'll die happy.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m9zkqbOxe91r3ty02o1_500.gif
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    i dont understand any oft his?
  • oliesgirl1
    oliesgirl1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When my best friend was fighting her battle with cancer, one of the scariest things we learned is that sugar is like fuel for cancer. In my book, that makes it pretty dang toxic.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not toxic. It's certainly not good for you in large quantities, but it's nothing to really worry much about.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    So is dihydrogenmonoxide but they put that **** in everything
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    most things have sugar. stay away from too much processed sugar and you'll be fine.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    07-26-04.gif
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Sugar broke up with me and stole my mothers car.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    sugar is not on your joke wheel neither is cancer.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    07-26-04.gif

well, most of those things have a ton of sugar, duh!
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    sugar is not on your joke wheel neither is lung cancer.

Joke wheel? JOKE WHEEL!?! Did you not notice the scientist spinning it? That is a lab coat! Anything with a lab coat is science and, therefore, irrefutable!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    mmmmm...toxins

marshpeanuts-lge2.jpg
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Sugar broke up with me and stole my mothers car.

That's some cold s**t.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    how do I delete the comments that arent serious?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    how do I delete the comments that arent serious?

You can pray really hard. Besides that, not much.

Seriously, no toxins come from sugar. Your body processes glucose directly. Glucose is the starting point for glycolysis, the first part of the process by which your body generates energy.

The human body is extraordinarily good at turning glucose directly into pyruvate, or storing it as glycogen. Don't worry about sugar being toxic. It's not. It can cause undesirable hormonal levels and contribute to fat storage in large quantities, but it's definitely not toxic in any way shape or form.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you are diabetic, excessive sugar can be dangerous.
    If you have cancer, sugar can be dangerous (cancer cells love sugar, as I learned when my ex-husband was going through chemo).

If you have severe gallbladder issues and/or have had your gallbladder removed, too much fat can be dangerous.

If you are a reasonably healthy person (meaning you do not have a disease or an allergy that is triggered/made worse by sugar and or fat) then you have nothing to be worried about if you practice moderation.

Technically, you can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies (do they still make those?) - high in fat AND sugar; however, you're probably not going to be very healthy since one of the main problem with heavily processed junk food is that they do not have the nutrients to properly fuel your body like "real" food does. 500 calories in Twinkies will get you a tummy ache and a sugar high but won't provide much in the form of protein, fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc.

So...
    No food is in and of itself toxic. If you have health issues that can be improved/stabilized by avoiding certain foods, go ahead and do so; otherwise, stick to mostly "real" food for optimal health but don't freak out about a bit of sugar or fat.

ETA: I ate a candy bar today. I also had salad, lean meats, and other "stuff." I am a big fan of moderation.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Obligatory Def Leppard gif.
    deflepard_zps2706b6fd.gif