sugar is toxic

Options

Replies

• ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mdgffjaWXG1renhono1_500.gif

Clearly, sugar is toxic. (And the lemons ain't lookin' too legit, either)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    mmmmm...toxins

marshpeanuts-lge2.jpg

omg! Those peanuts were like my favorite as a kid!! Get them on the boardwalk (which washed away a few months ago.. I cried) I mean you can get them anywhere.. but if you got them there you were like the coolest kid in town. LOL

Sugar is not toxic.. it's just evil..

Evil sugar gives me cravings for more sugar.. (talking added sugar) and gives me headaches and makes me cranky and fatigued.. I swear I go through withdrawl every time I have sugar and then stop eating it..

Added sugar = EVIL
    naturally occurring sugar = Good!

Unless you are diabetic.. naturally occurring sugar shouldn't bother you. Added sugar effects everyone different.. Some people are fine.. others are not. (see above)
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options
    You know what else is toxic?
    Poison. True story.
  • k_winder
    k_winder Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It took 3 weeks to get it out of my system.

Get what out of your system? Sugar?

That doesn't even make any sense at all. It's in fact physically impossible. If you actually magically removed all the sugar from your body, you would literally drop dead. If you tried to remove it slowly, your body would just take the things you eat and your own body tissues and literally convert them to sugar.

Agreed; that makes NO sense. Your body takes any carbohydrates you consume and converts it to glucose in order to further convert it to pyruvate (which provides energy in the presence of oxygen). This pyruvate can even be converted back into glucose (along with some of the proteins and amino acids you ingest) to aid in keeping you from experiencing hypoglycemia.

You did NOT rid your body of glucose. If you did, you'd be dead.

Indeed. The body keeps actual free blood sugar within pretty strict limits: about 80 to 110 mg/dL. If you actually get much below 80, you'll experience all sorts of unpleasant symptoms like lightheadedness and you'll pass out.

To be fair, fainting would require a blood glucose of somewhere under 50 in almost all cases. I have had Type 1 diabetes for over 20 years and I've seen blood sugars in the low 30s and never fainted. But yes, other symptoms are very unpleasant - loss of coordination, loss of ability to think and reason logically, lapses in memory, irritability, excessive shaking and sweating, extreme fatigue, etc.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Stop listening to the Kombucha mushroom people! All they do is sit around all day!

<3ha! Yes! nice! <3
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

That doesn't even make any sense at all. It's in fact physically impossible. If you actually magically removed all the sugar from your body, you would literally drop dead. If you tried to remove it slowly, your body would just take the things you eat and your own body tissues and literally convert them to sugar.

Agreed; that makes NO sense. Your body takes any carbohydrates you consume and converts it to glucose in order to further convert it to pyruvate (which provides energy in the presence of oxygen). This pyruvate can even be converted back into glucose (along with some of the proteins and amino acids you ingest) to aid in keeping you from experiencing hypoglycemia.

Indeed. The body keeps actual free blood sugar within pretty strict limits: about 80 to 110 mg/dL. If you actually get much below 80, you'll experience all sorts of unpleasant symptoms like lightheadedness and you'll pass out.
    I believe the quote was to reduce sugar in the diet to reduce cravings which is why many go lower in carbs, I could be wrong, but I'll assume the poster knows the difference.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I believe the quote was to reduce sugar in the diet to reduce cravings which is why many go lower in carbs, I could be wrong, but I'll assume the poster knows the difference.

The quote I was responding to was:

"look up a book called "Sugar Blues"....it is toxic in many ways. It took 3 weeks to get it out of my system. For one thing it is a major depressant. And yet I've heard so many people say they'd rather be depressed than give up sugar....that's addiction."

That's why I quoted it.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Look into how it is processed. Personally I am a chemically sensitive person. I was having some pretty seriour problems for a few years when I discovered that if I did not have sugar in my diet I was pain free and did not have the reactions I was experiencing.

I think it is more the chemicals used in the processing than the sugar itself. At any rate it is something you have to make a call on for yourself.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options

The quote I was responding to was:

"look up a book called "Sugar Blues"....it is toxic in many ways. It took 3 weeks to get it out of my system. For one thing it is a major depressant. And yet I've heard so many people say they'd rather be depressed than give up sugar....that's addiction."

That's why I quoted it.

Fhrk7dc.gif
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    07-26-04.gif

:smile:
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are saying that sugar feeds cancer, where can I find this information? I vaguely recall reading about it in some newspaper article, but when I search for "sugar and cancer" on the PubMed site, I only find results that suggest sugar doesn't play a part in cancer growth:

Dietary patterns and colorectal cancer recurrence and survival: a cohort study.
    "Disease-free survival (DFS) among CRC patients was significantly worsened among patients with a high processed meat dietary pattern (the highest vs the lowest quartile HR 1.82, 95% CI 1.07 to 3.09). No associations were observed with the prudent vegetable or the high-sugar patterns and DFS."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23396503

Sugary food and beverage consumption and epithelial ovarian cancer risk: a population-based case--control study.
    "Overall, we found little indication that sugar intake played a major role on ovarian cancer development."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23442818

Dietary proportions of carbohydrates, fat, and protein and risk of oesophageal cancer by histological type.
    "A diet with a low proportion of carbohydrates and a high proportion of fat might increase the risk of oesophageal adenocarcinoma."
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23349988
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    07-26-04.gif

:heart:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    So tell me more about how your brain breaks the laws of thermodynamics...
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You know what else is toxic?
    Poison. True story.

Your profile pic works so well with the snarkiness of the reply... :D
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hey OP

Sorry your post got away from you with all of these jokers and bullies. Sugar is an extremely DANGEROUS substance. It's highly addictive (some even compare to big scary drugs like heroin and crystal methamphetamine). I know a few friends that experimented with sugar in high school. This was in the early 90s when sugar was pretty the IN thing to do. At first it was relatively casual. Just . . . you know . . . a bit of maple syrup at breakfast or some honey with their evening tea. Now they're doing very dirty things in back alley ways just to get a fix.

You'd be wise to avoid it.
  • rylovesty23
    Options
    When it comes to putting toxins in your body - you will find that you are doing that by much more than just sugar. Most of the crap that people consume is constantly clogging their cells with toxins.

You wont have to worry much about this if you try to eat just as much if not more food and things that have antioxidants in them. Like for instance flax seed- put it in your oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies etc. Put lemon in your water - most green vegetable also have antioxidants in them so make those regular snacks.

I am just saying sugar is just a small part of the reason for the toxins in your body and sometimes it is easier to focus on the opposite- the anti- oxidants. You might be interested to know also that a lot of toxins actually prevents fat burning - so of course, another could reason to have a diet rich in antioxidants.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    When it comes to putting toxins in your body - you will find that you are doing that by much more than just sugar. Most of the crap that people consume is constantly clogging their cells with toxins.

You wont have to worry much about this if you try to eat just as much if not more food and things that have antioxidants in them. Like for instance flax seed- put it in your oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies etc. Put lemon in your water - most green vegetable also have antioxidants in them so make those regular snacks.

I am just saying sugar is just a small part of the reason for the toxins in your body and sometimes it is easier to focus on the opposite- the anti- oxidants. You might be interested to know also that a lot of toxins actually prevents fat burning - so of course, another could reason to have a diet rich in antioxidants.

"Antioxidant" doesn't mean "destroys toxins."

What "toxins" are our cells getting "clogged" with?
  • Countryboy_
    Countryboy_ Posts: 618
    Options
    16579601327.jpeg
  • rylovesty23
    Options

An antioxidant is a reducing agent- kind of how it prevents gasoline from gumming together it is the same concept. I got this information from a documentary called "Hungry for Change" - you should check it out.
  • jonnythan
    Options

An antioxidant is a reducing agent- kind of how it prevents gasoline from gumming together it is the same concept. I got this information from a documentary called "Hungry for Change" - you should check it out.

I have a biology degree and am a very science and chemistry-oriented person. To me, "clogging your cells with toxins" doesn't actually mean anything. "Toxins" is one of those words often used by laypeople that has absolutely no meaning whatsoever. I don't really have any interest in watching some movie to "learn" about it though, so carry on.