sugar is toxic

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,090 Member
    Options
    This thread is very silly (or am I missing the joke??)

Of course sugar ( or salt or fat or whatever) in large amounts is not good for anyone - but small sensible amounts in moderation are not a problem, even for weight losers.

I sprinkle half a teasopoon of sugar on my weetbix most mornings (and I log it in) - am not about to stop in case it is toxic :laugh:
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If you search Youtube for "rocket fuel from sugar" you can see just how dangerous sugar is. Eat too much, and
    tumblr_mhnslqHOCX1qzr8nao1_500.jpg
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    If by toxic you mean delicious than yes. yes it is.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Sugar broke up with me and stole my mothers car.

:drinker:
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    You know what else is toxic?
    Poison. True story.

Dont trust this guy. He puts lipstick on dead people. :flowerforyou:
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Google "Nancy Appleton". She goes over why sugar is bad for you and how it manifests itself in various health problems we have today. To give you a simple explanation of what happens in the body...

Insulin: A metabolic hormone with many vital functions. One of them is producing and storing body fat from excess carbohydrates.

Glucagon: Another metabolic hormone, with opposing functions to Insulin. Glucagon unlocks fat storages and releases fat for energy purposes.

Insulin and Glucagon are opposing paired hormones. This means that when one goes up the other goes down. They are the master controllers of metabolism and serve opposite functions.

In a simple study, researchers injected a group of rats with Insulin and another group with Glucagon. The group that received Insulin gained body fat. The group that received Glucagon lost body fat.

The Insulin/Glucagon ratio is the key for health, body composition, mental productivity and energy levels.

Your body is an energy machine, never resting, always metabolically active, and it powers its operations mainly using Glucose (a basic form of sugar). In the body, all carbohydrates finally break down to Glucose (blood sugar). The body must have the Glucose and even in starvation, it is able to convert other substances (fat and muscle) to Glucose, to maintain its normal level.

When you eat any carbohydrates, they break down to sugars and finally to Glucose. The Glucose rushes into your blood quickly; in other words, your blood sugar level will rise sharply. Your body makes an instant decision of how much of that pure energy goes for immediate needs and how much will it store. The tool of this decision is Insulin, which regulates the processing of blood sugar. A small amount of carbohydrate intake generates a small Insulin response. A large amount of carbohydrate intake generates a large Insulin response.

Insulin does three things to blood sugar:
    1. Transports one part of blood sugar to the cells to take care of immediate energy demand. This is a bypass of your own energy production system.
    2. Stores another part of blood sugar in carbo-storages in the muscles and liver.
    3. Converts the leftover blood sugar to fat and stores it as BODY FAT.

Insulin is also a fat storage and locking hormone. In other words, it makes you fat and it keeps you fat.

Glucagon serves the opposite functions of Insulin. Just as Insulin is a fat storage and locking hormone, Glucagon is an unlocking and fat burning hormone.

You want to raise Glucagon levels and lower Insulin levels if you want to be healthy and have a healthy body weight. Glucagon aims to correct imbalances that create body fat storage and blocks fat burning.

Carbohydrates trigger Insulin (fat storage).

Proteins trigger Glucagon (fat burning).

Fats (and Oils) do not have an effect on either Insulin or Glucagon when they are consumed alone.

When you shift your metabolic system to fat burning, your body produces its own energy instead of being bypassed by sugars. That IS your metabolism at work.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Poison. True story.

this place is awful. i dont understand half these comments because their trying to be funny i think and the other half i don't understand because they're full of false assertions
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Breathing is toxic. So to everyone who keeps with the sugar is toxic BS, please stop breathing that way you'll be toxin free and stop polluting forums.

I live inside a vacuum so I have this sorted already. Phew.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Poison. True story.

this place is awful. i dont understand half these comments because their trying to be funny i think and the other half i don't understand because they're full of false assertions

Hey, this is good advice, right here. I'm genuinely trying to be helpful. :flowerforyou: you have to watch out for the weird ones...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Just so we're clear... Protein is also highly insulinogenic.

Additionally, there are functions in which the body needs glucose. I think you misunderstand that your body is not capable of producing all essential nutrients through burning fat and muscle.
    Google "Nancy Appleton". She goes over why sugar is bad for you and how it manifests itself in various health problems we have today. To give you a simple explanation of what happens in the body...

Insulin: A metabolic hormone with many vital functions. One of them is producing and storing body fat from excess carbohydrates.

Glucagon: Another metabolic hormone, with opposing functions to Insulin. Glucagon unlocks fat storages and releases fat for energy purposes.

Insulin and Glucagon are opposing paired hormones. This means that when one goes up the other goes down. They are the master controllers of metabolism and serve opposite functions.

In a simple study, researchers injected a group of rats with Insulin and another group with Glucagon. The group that received Insulin gained body fat. The group that received Glucagon lost body fat.

The Insulin/Glucagon ratio is the key for health, body composition, mental productivity and energy levels.

Your body is an energy machine, never resting, always metabolically active, and it powers its operations mainly using Glucose (a basic form of sugar). In the body, all carbohydrates finally break down to Glucose (blood sugar). The body must have the Glucose and even in starvation, it is able to convert other substances (fat and muscle) to Glucose, to maintain its normal level.

When you eat any carbohydrates, they break down to sugars and finally to Glucose. The Glucose rushes into your blood quickly; in other words, your blood sugar level will rise sharply. Your body makes an instant decision of how much of that pure energy goes for immediate needs and how much will it store. The tool of this decision is Insulin, which regulates the processing of blood sugar. A small amount of carbohydrate intake generates a small Insulin response. A large amount of carbohydrate intake generates a large Insulin response.

Insulin does three things to blood sugar:
    1. Transports one part of blood sugar to the cells to take care of immediate energy demand. This is a bypass of your own energy production system.
    2. Stores another part of blood sugar in carbo-storages in the muscles and liver.
    3. Converts the leftover blood sugar to fat and stores it as BODY FAT.

Insulin is also a fat storage and locking hormone. In other words, it makes you fat and it keeps you fat.

Glucagon serves the opposite functions of Insulin. Just as Insulin is a fat storage and locking hormone, Glucagon is an unlocking and fat burning hormone.

You want to raise Glucagon levels and lower Insulin levels if you want to be healthy and have a healthy body weight. Glucagon aims to correct imbalances that create body fat storage and blocks fat burning.

Carbohydrates trigger Insulin (fat storage).

Proteins trigger Glucagon (fat burning).

Fats (and Oils) do not have an effect on either Insulin or Glucagon when they are consumed alone.

When you shift your metabolic system to fat burning, your body produces its own energy instead of being bypassed by sugars. That IS your metabolism at work.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    *humming Sugar by SOAD*
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not toxic. It's certainly not good for you in large quantities, but it's nothing to really worry much about.
    As with most things, three words often overlooked in pseudoscience and scaremongering apply: Context. And. Dosage.

Water is essential for our survival; however, in excessive quantities it can cause hyponatremia, which can lead to death. Does that mean we should avoid water, or should we instead consider context and dosage and consume it in appropriate quantities?
  • teaelcee
    teaelcee Posts: 7
    Options
    You should read this article by Mark Bittman on the New York Times: http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/27/its-the-sugar-folks/?src=me&ref=general

("It's the sugar, folks!")

It references the study that came out that said sugar acts as a toxin in our bodies.

I do believe there is value in severely limiting processed sugars and have been working to do that myself. But I am concerned about whole health and not just losing weight by hitting my daily calorie goal. Does that mean that I'll never have ice cream again? No, but I'm far more conscious about the added sugar that appears in processed foods.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    *humming Sugar by SOAD*

Weren't you just saying you were going to bring some science to this thread?

*waiting*
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    16579601327.jpeg

This is exactly what I was thinking. :laugh:

Could not have been any more perfect.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Sugar is not toxic. It's certainly not good for you in large quantities, but it's nothing to really worry much about.
    As with most things, three words often overlooked in pseudoscience and scaremongering apply: Context. And. Dosage.

Water is essential for our survival; however, in excessive quantities it can cause hyponatremia, which can lead to death. Does that mean we should avoid water, or should we instead consider context and dosage and consume it in appropriate quantities?

Dude! Your making way to much sense here with like logic and *kitten*. That can't be right.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    16579601327.jpeg

Oh Noos I'm gonna die from that carrot cake I ate tonight!!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    16579601327.jpeg

Oh Noos I'm gonna die from that carrot cake I ate tonight!!!!

panic_zpse7410353.gif
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Dude! Your making way to much sense here with like logic and *kitten*. That can't be right.

I am with you on that one!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Nice big tl/dr post but here's the deal. You are wrong right out of the box so, the rest of your post based on this premise is BS. Insulin DOEs NOT produce fat. Insulin is nothing but a shuttling hormone. In a energy (calorie) surplus, it shuttles energy to fat. In a calorie deficit it shuttles energy to where it's needed in the body. Nothing trumps the energy balance equation (in those without other health and metabolic issues).

Insulin is a hormone. It produces nothing. It is amoral. It just does it's job. If we overeat, whether it's sugar or anything else, insulin will shuttle the excess energy to storage. It's the overeating that is the issue. Stop trying to demonize a simple hormone that has been just doing it's job for thousands of years.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319