Real women drink beer.

Options
So, my weakness is not chocolate, cake or sweets. Microbrews are my weakness, as they should be coming from the PNW. I am wondering how all of you other beer drinkers manage this? I tried and have failed to give up beer entirely but I am still really needing to shed about 25- 30 lbs. Sure, I could drink light crappy beer but let's face it, I've been spoiled with heavy delicious, high calorie dark beers. How do you make up for this in your diet and exercise routine?

Replies

• cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I save my beverage-partaking for the weekend, and make it fit my goals. Whether that means cutting back on other things or exercising more, I make it fit. That said, I don't go overboard: 3 drinks at most really (or else it would cut into my food too much). Plan your day, put the good stuff in your diary early, and work around it :)
  • alishamwhite0
    alishamwhite0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is definitely helpful. I tried ignoring the beer aisle at the grocery store the last few days but today I couldn't help myself. I just started my weight loss journey and finally saw the scale move a few pounds in my favor. After a few beers I started to feel guilty as if I was putting all my hard work to shame. Still trying to find a balance in this whole thing. :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I love beer, but I usually stick to Amstel Light, The last couple of weeks, while trying a new form of Intermittent Fasting, I've had almost no alcohol.
  • sweatychest
    Options
    female beer drinkers are the funnest chicks!
  • shanaya37
    shanaya37 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If I want to enjoy a few beers, I exercise off more calories to compensate.
  • fnsmithatc
    fnsmithatc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Plan Plan Plan... that's all that really helps... Extra exercise early on in the week to counteract when you have a few beers...

I'm the same... I tried to do the 55 stuff for awhile... but let's face it, it's never as good as a quality beer... and now I've become a beer snob...

Pick a day and that will be your cheat day... that's what I'm doing really... I've been well under calories and did lots of exercise this week to counteract today...

Beer of choice tonight: ShockTop: Honeycrisp Apple Wheat
  • amruden
    amruden Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Coffee and Beer are my liquids the choice.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also love microbrews and dark, yummy, high-cal beer.

I do realize that they are calories and that the body can't burn fat very well if it has acetate (byproduct of alcohol) to burn off first. It will have to use that up before burning fat. (The study they mention is small, but is found in other studies, I think, unless the accumulated knowledge has changed - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md19.htm)

So, I have a beer about 3 or 4 times a week with dinner and if I know I'm going to socialize, I make room for it with exercise so I can have two. I am always a driver, so no more than two at a time anyway.

Moderation, I guess is key.

Pliny the Elder, Black Butte Porter, Prohibition Ale... mmmmmmmmm.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Guuurl, stouts are my weakness. Oatmeal and coffee stouts, to be exact. I have only had one since eating better starting January.
    I have just been drinking liquor at bars. 500 calories or so a beer isn't worth it to for me, especially since I can't have just one. :sad:
  • tisha_rae
    tisha_rae Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I love beer too! At least when you're drinking "real" beer you don't usually drink as much!

I try to be very good during the week, knowing that I'll prob drink some on the weekends. I made a rule of drinking a glass of water between beers.

And more exercise always helps too.

I refuse to give up stuff I really like - when I do that I just get angry and quit.

It should be about finding what works for you in a way that will allow to enjoy your life and stick with it.

A "diet" is punishment - A lifestyle shouldn't be.

Good Luck.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love beer too! IPAs are my weakness. Unfortunately I usually go over when I drink beer because I usually drink 1-2 on Fridays, and Fridays are my rest days. I usually make up for it by biking over the weekend.

I have pretty much given up the mid-week beers and wine though. I find I don't feel the cravings or need for alcohol much anymore. So now I try to really, really enjoy it when I do have a few drinks.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have a Coopers Pale in my hand right now :)

I make room in my calories for it, exercise for it, and frankly, pretend I haven't drunk it when I want 1-2 more than my calories allow LOL.
  • alishamwhite0
    alishamwhite0 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    you all are so awesome. I am so glad that so many others are beer lovers here as well. Deschutes Brewery has my <3. Currently sipping on some Red Chair NWPA. I am such a beer snob too :) The only time I buy cheap light beer is for beer pong or if I am supply for a large group. Nice beer is the one thing I trat myself or reward myself with. I guess tomorrow will be a very long visit with the gym. :)
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Love my beer!! Mostly the blondes or ambers.

I usually just make sure that I can fit one in to my daily calorie intake during the week (twice a week at most) and then 3-4 on the weekend. If I know I'm going to the bar, I'll have a salad for lunch and a bit more of a substantial dinner, but something like salmon, rice and lots of veggies. I just plan my calories for the day. Oh, and take a nice long run in the morning. :)
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I really dislike dark beers, which I guess is a food thing while dieting? I like the taste of beer so unless I have a lot if extra calories to spend, I drink crappy mgd64.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't drink beer. But I'm gonna go ahead and say do it the way you do everything else. Consume less calories than you burn.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Cheap beer is sadness beer! Microbrews all the way!

We're heading to the States in May and I can't wait to introduce my (then) Hubby to USA microbrews. Australia has some great ones, but the US is miles ahead.
  • 6550mom
    6550mom Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    you all are so awesome. I am so glad that so many others are beer lovers here as well. Deschutes Brewery has my <3. Currently sipping on some Red Chair NWPA. I am such a beer snob too :) The only time I buy cheap light beer is for beer pong or if I am supply for a large group. Nice beer is the one thing I trat myself or reward myself with. I guess tomorrow will be a very long visit with the gym. :)

Never met anything by Deschutes that I don't like- have Mirror Pond, Chainbreaker, RedChair, Black Butte...all in the house :) Love them.

Cheers!
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    no they don't, it is not ladylike.
  • LiqueLique89
    LiqueLique89 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Plan it & make it work....i'll have 1-2 during the week & 3-4 on weekends (that's with any alcoholic beverage). I try to work out extra & eat a little less (in terms of serving size). Hope this helps :)