Can you live without pets, kids or relationships?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    Technically, we only need food, water, medical care, shelter and sanitation to live (assuming we're on Earth and the oxygen is plentiful), but not the life I would want. I think like much of the human experience, we all live on a different spectrum of these 'needs'. I also think at different times, we fall at different spots. For me:

Not necessarily. In order to function in a way society deems 'appropriate', or even to be able to speak, we need human interaction as we grow and mature to learn. http://bostonreview.net/BR31.4/saxe.php
    After the learning process has ended however, I imagine that living the life of a hermit would both be easier and less damaging yes.

Edit: Rather I meant once the formulative years had ended, not the learning process!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I've always been an introvert and spend most of my time alone and I'm content with it. I've never in my life been without a dog, though, and never want to be.

I agree with you about trying to find that perfect situation where you're dating someone and enjoying their company, but there are no claims of possession or "Where's this going?" or "What did you do last night?" any of that needy controlling crap.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Childless, so yes.

Relationshipless? Not sure. Been in relationships for 15 years, no real periods of being single in between.

Pets? No. I couldn't. I need tiny furry things in my life as much as I need air.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    As the Rolling Stones sang, "You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes well you might find you get what you need". I figure if I need it, it shows up in my life. If I don't, it leaves, or doesn't show up. I trust that life will always put me in the right circumstance to experience exactly what I need, and I've learned that sticky attachment only leads to pain and suffering. We can love without attachment (of the unhealthy kind, the kind where we're codependent). Maybe it's because I've had so many losses in my life that I've disovered that yes I can live without anyone or anything in particular, and that my happiness doesn't depend on anything outside myself.
  • SportyLadyPhotographer
    Options
    Live without pets - no!!! *crazy cat lady*
    haha me too, couldnt live without my cat!!
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Just chilling by yourself without feeling lonely or lacking anything? Without possessing anyone or being possessed.. just being happy with being alive and doing the things you like without needing anything else :smile:

So you have your MFP friends, maybe Facebook friends? It is not solitude when you are blogging or chatting...is it the physical presence of another person that you can only take in limited doses? What do you do with your time?
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Pets? Yes
    Kids? No
    Relationships? Probably, though I prefer being in one
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I was happy being single back in the day. I didn't *need* anything or anyone. I really did want kids and found an amazing woman I could see spending the rest of my life with and sharing my family dream. As long as the Lord and life let me keep them, I don't want it any other way.
  • fishsticks913
    fishsticks913 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I would love to be able to say yes.... but nope.

Love my kiddo to death... cant imagine my life with out him. I do like when he goes to his dads.... gives me time for me and gives them the bonding time that a father and son need. But I miss the heck out of him from the minute he walks out the door.

Pets... ummm nope. Had an animal all my life. My cat is a lot like me... if I need her around she is right next to me, but also senses when I don't want anyone around and she goes and hides.

Relationship.... that's a hard one. I wish I could say I am not "dependent" on someone being around, but I am. I like the contact (not always the physical)...but the contact with someone else. I don't like being alone.. lets my mind wander too much.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    HELL NO. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't trade my kitty for a dog~TODAY, I love my Kid, but sometimes wish I had a Nanny, and I would give my right arm too be in a special relationship, but mainly for the sex. lol
  • Hotpinkmama
    Options
    As long as they are the 3 kids I have right now...no I could not live without them.Any others yes I could live without.
    I have 3 pets and most days I'd give away 2..so not all pets are created equal.
    I have a husband, we live apart, he's a hot mess...the sex is still amazing and he financially supports me. Some-days I want him back home and other days, I don't ...so this part of the question is the really gray area for me.....
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Pets - hell no, kids - hell yes, relationships - hell no. I have the most awesome husband and friends in the world.
  • lynn413
    lynn413 Posts: 40
    Options
    Pets - absolutely not!!
    Kids- No
    Husband- Sometimes
    LOL