The Protein Myth

Options
I have to rattle a cage. It seems to be "common knowledge" on mfp that everyone needs loads of protein to A. Lose fat, and B. Increase strength and that it's imperative that normal people have a protein shake after each strength work out. I'm not talking about heavy lifting, I'm talking about your basic run of the mill strength workouts so if you want to lecture about heavy lifting and protein move along as that is not what I'm talking about. So I'm wondering why that is and why everyone says mfp's settings for protein are "too low" for most people. When someone asks about protein, someone had to come in and say their setting is "too low" because it's what mfp set for them. Why would mfp set it too low really? If it was too low wouldn't they have corrected it? Wouldn't there be a huge disclaimer about it being "too low"? Is it impossible for someone to lose fat and get stronger with 50g -70g of protein? To most mfp "experts" yes, how did this rumor come about that mfp settings are too low and that people need 100g of protein to lose fat?

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Protein helps with satiation and muscle building. The only thing that helps lose fat and increase strength is a calorie deficit and weight training.

That being said, it appears to be scientific consensus that the recommended amount of protein is too low for anyone that has an active lifestyle.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I have to rattle a cage. It seems to be "common knowledge" on mfp that everyone needs loads of protein to A. Lose fat, and B. Increase strength and that it's imperative that normal people have a protein shake after each strength work out. I'm not talking about heavy lifting, I'm talking about your basic run of the mill strength workouts so if you want to lecture about heavy lifting and protein move along as that is not what I'm talking about. So I'm wondering why that is and why everyone says mfp's settings for protein are "too low" for most people. When someone asks about protein, someone had to come in and say their setting is "too low" because it's what mfp set for them. Why would mfp set it too low really? If it was too low wouldn't they have corrected it? Wouldn't there be a huge disclaimer about it being "too low"? Is it impossible for someone to lose fat and get stronger with 50g -70g of protein? To most mfp "experts" yes, how did this rumor come about that mfp settings are too low and that people need 100g of protein to lose fat?

a lot of people tout the .7-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, but I'm actually not even sure where that originated from.

I personally feel that since people feel the need to constrict carbs to such a huge degree to lose weight, they offset that by raising their protein intake so they can feel like they aren't starving themselves. even if the excess protein doesn't get used, it still helps them feel full.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree. I don't see a lot of information out there declaring it as a necessity BUT I do know when I let it drop too low, I tend to get super hungry when working out. I seem to hold better if I increase my protein levels. That's the main reason I eat a large amount of protein. Carbs in high doses are not an option for me due to a wheat allergy and I still feel hungry if that's where my focus ends up occurring.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    a lot of people tout the .7-1g of protein per pound of lean body mass, but I'm actually not even sure where that originated from.

I personally feel that since people feel the need to constrict carbs to such a huge degree to lose weight, they offset that by raising their protein intake so they can feel like they aren't starving themselves. even if the excess protein doesn't get used, it still helps them feel full.

It originated from science:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7

Anyway, if you don't eat enough protein your muscles will grow more slowly/break down more quickly. That's all there is to it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    protein.jpg
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bob on Biggest Loser told a contestant that they should eat protein after a workout to help rebuild the muscles.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    Same thing goes with calories on MFP. It had me originally set to 1200. I was starving, cranky, and tired. Decided to up my calories and have never looked back. There was no huge disclaimer about it being "too low." It also had my fiber set too low. Just because MFP gives you a certain amount doesn't mean it's correct.

*I know your question was about protein but I was just trying to give a comparison.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

It originated from science:
    http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7

Anyway, if you don't eat enough protein your muscles will grow more slowly/break down more quickly. That's all there is to it.

I talked with a very good dietician and .7-1 gm/kg of weight is what is generally recommended for a person that is active and healthy.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Bob on Biggest Loser told a contestant that they should eat protein after a workout to help rebuild the muscles.

Lol. Bob is a tool and consistently gives very poor info.

I have read that we may suggest too much protein. However, given our hugely carb world, it's probably generally good advice to suggest that people increase protein, but it's based on the individuals situation. It shouldn't just be a standard answer to everyone. I think protein is overrated.

but we'll trust random GuitarJerry on the interwebs! ;)

Maybe you should trust the results of multiple peer-reviewed studies. Just a thought.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The MFP protein allowances seem to be based on the average person's requirements to maintain the status quo, bearing in mind that the 'average' person is pretty sedentary.

Add in regular exercise, especially strength training which is hard on the muscles, then more protein is required to repair muscles. For anyone looking to increase muscle mass then even more is required.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    you guys are getting into a debate that has been forever a hot topic in fitness and bodybuilding circles...the bottom line for me is personally...what combo gets me the results I'm seeking in life overall.

If you haven't tested it in the trenches of living through the strategy for a period of time, how would you know if it works or which is better?

Even if there is a more optimal way, you have to select the way that can be implemented into your life and get you the results you seek...so the questions are, what are you trying to accomplish and what is the proper balance in life for you...You may respect someone who is top of the foodchain in accomplishing a certain goal, though pity them for the price they had to pay to get there...

things to think about..that's what its a very individual and personal lifestyle..every person has different needs and goals..and we are always exploring in life..that's what makes it fun
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I have read that we may suggest too much protein. However, given our hugely carb world, it's probably generally good advice to suggest that people increase protein, but it's based on the individuals situation. It shouldn't just be a standard answer to everyone. I think protein is overrated.

Maybe you should trust the results of multiple peer-reviewed studies. Just a thought.

backed by the very industries that stand to benefit from those studies? see the flaw?
  • jonnythan
    Options

backed by the very industries that stand to benefit from those studies? see the flaw?

Backed by... what industries? Who do you think funded the Lemon paper?

And if it's all big government/industry, why does the government set the RDA of protein so low?

No, there's no "big protein" out there forcing the government to fund studies that show protein requirements are higher than the RDA.

You seem to have an MO of tossing out vague nonsense in an attempt to discredit things you don't like or don't agree with. Your criticism here is nonsensical and just designed to instill fear.

If you want to give a valid criticism, do so. Tell us who funded each of these studies and how they have a serious vested interest in getting us all to eat more protein.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

why is everything some grand conspiracy with you?
  • jonnythan
    Options

why is everything some grand conspiracy with you?

Because it's so much easier to dismiss all information you don't like as a government/industry conspiracy than to actually change your mind or offer valid criticism.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Edit: nvm
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Is it impossible for someone to lose fat and get stronger with 50g -70g of protein?
    I don't think anyone's claiming that.
    However, I'd prefer any workout I do to have the best chance of leaving me stronger at the end of it

The studies I've read generally seem to conclude that more protein will give my body the best chance of being stroner, or at least keeping the strength I have.

Coachreddy; that's the great thing about such studies. We can analyse and read them ourselves, and draw our own conclusion from the data they have got if need be.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

To this... My Doctor (Bariatric Surgeon- Dr. Garth Davis) has said that protein is overrated and believes that we need much lower amounts of protein then believed even for bariatric patients. He told me to stop worrying about it as I prefer fruits and veggies most of the time. He believes that animal protein can be harmful and referred me to the healthiest regions in the world who eat 80% of their diet in carb. He referred me to the BLUE ZONE study. Very interesting stuff.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Just replying to thank you for making a thread that CoachReddy replied in so I can block him without having to search :)

Oh, and to allow me to mock you freely on my wall without getting a strike :drinker: :drinker: