The Protein Myth

Options

Replies

• eatcleanNtraindirty
    eatcleanNtraindirty Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I agree with many of the above posters...

MFP sets it at protein at a low/moderate amount for sedentary individuals. For those of us that workout on a consistent basis, our bodies require more protein in order to help repair and rebuild muscle.

There are arguments for and against this as there are with any topic of interest. But it is up the the person and how their body responds. There are people who respond well with a high protein and low carb diet, a moderate protein and moderate carb diet, and those who benefit from a low protein/high carb diet.

The point for some people of having a high protein diet is because they can cut back on their carb intake and still feel satiated.

I think that the reason why protein shakes have been a huge staple in the industry is because their availability, portability (it's a lot easier to get your hands on a protein shake after a workout then a chicken breast), and the idea that your body has a short window of opportunity after working out to get nutrients into the body that are going to have a high impact on the repair and recovery of your muscle tissue. So that's really where whey protein consumption originated.

I think that whey protein came about because of this "window of opportunity" theory/fact? because whey protein is quickly broken down in the body and assimilated into it's amino acids which will aide the repair of muscle tissue. Whey protein is said to break down in less than one hour, effectively contributing to muscle repair and rebuilding during that window of opportunity. Whereas if you ate a whole food protein (chicken breast, steak, fish, etc.) will take much longer... generally about 2-6 hours for the protein from whole food sources to break down into their amino acid form.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here, too much protein is worse than not enough. Your body will dump the excess protein in your urine. Which adds unnecessary stress and possible damage to your kidneys. So play it safe when you adjust your protein levels.

Having said that, I have just upped my protein intake.

Pretty sure that the NIH has compiled almost a century of studies that say this isn't true.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

There is a point where too much protein is bad...somewhere over 60% of total caloric intake.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    What is with you people and these macro nutrient ratios and percentages? Everyone's body is different. Everyone's body requires a daily amount of protein and a daily amount of fat. Once you work out calorie needs, you then work out how much of each macro-nutrient you should aim for. Because our bodies have a set amount of protein and fat they need daily, these macros should be worked out first! Then fill the rest up with carbs. This is one of the areas that is MOST often confused. This should NOT be based on a RATIO of macro intakes. (eg: '30:40:30 or 40:40:20'). Your body doesn't CARE what % intake you have. It works based on SUFFICIENT QUANTITY per MASS. Don't let MFP fool you, do not even pay attention to those percentages they do not mean anything.

The fact is, your body, no matter how intense your workout is, requires protein. The best time to consume protein is after your workout. Use common sense, they have been through some form of strenuous exercise, they are tired and need fuel and rest. I would rather consume too much protein then ever fall under. Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
  • Griffin220x
    Options
    For me, it is simple.

I like protein. I feel better when I eat 100 grams of protein a day. That's slightly over 1g/LBM, but not much over. It's easy to eat that much protein, and I have gotten hella stronger eating this way over the past few months.

I also like fat. I feel better when I eat around 50-60g/day.

I also like carbs. I have no idea how many carbs I eat in a day because I don't track it. I guess that depends on how many calories I consume. I'm guessing it's a lot when I eat 2400 calories.

Science? In a way. Hypothesis ==> trial. Trial ==> feel better. Feel better ==> better performance.

I was my own test subject. If anyone would like to see the results of the study, my diary and photo album is open.

This^^^ Use what works for you!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I do wish that MFP distinguished between minimums, maximums and targets.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    you guys are getting into a debate that has been forever a hot topic in fitness and bodybuilding circles...the bottom line for me is personally...what combo gets me the results I'm seeking in life overall.

If you haven't tested it in the trenches of living through the strategy for a period of time, how would you know if it works or which is better?

Even if there is a more optimal way, you have to select the way that can be implemented into your life and get you the results you seek...so the questions are, what are you trying to accomplish and what is the proper balance in life for you...You may respect someone who is top of the foodchain in accomplishing a certain goal, though pity them for the price they had to pay to get there...

things to think about..that's what its a very individual and personal lifestyle..every person has different needs and goals..and we are always exploring in life..that's what makes it fun

^^^

This man has it.

Personally I never wanted huge amounts of protein, I prefer eating loads of carbs - its easy.

However, the moment I PERSONALLY ate protein at 1.5-2g per lb of body weight my gains sky rocketed, and when I diet I shed fat like no ones business and hold good levels of muscle at the end of the diet.

Find that works for you. I would suggest starting around 1g and adjust over several months and see that what works for you.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Just to play Devil's Advocate here, too much protein is worse than not enough. Your body will dump the excess protein in your urine. Which adds unnecessary stress and possible damage to your kidneys. So play it safe when you adjust your protein levels.

No it s not. I hear that time and time and time again - its based on nothing other than a misunderstanding of renal failure patients being carried across to the general population.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10722779
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So someone clarify something for me. I'm really not that concerned about getting too much protein, but I want to make sure I get enough. I've seen .7-1g per pound recommended. But I also saw .7-1g per kilogram recommended. There's a pretty big difference between those two.

Which one?
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Pretty sure that the NIH has compiled almost a century of studies that say this isn't true.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/

There is a point where too much protein is bad...somewhere over 60% of total caloric intake.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation.

Rabbit starvation is using one source of protein to give the body protein - incomplete amino acid spectrum. Hence a good varied diet of meats/eggs/whey etc is a good idea.

Read your own link.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    So someone clarify something for me. I'm really not that concerned about getting too much protein, but I want to make sure I get enough. I've seen .7-1g per pound recommended. But I also saw .7-1g per kilogram recommended. There's a pretty big difference between those two.

Which one?

1g per lb.

eg

150lb man = 150g protein.

Personally I find it more optional to have 2g/lb but that's just ME.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I have to rattle a cage. It seems to be "common knowledge" on mfp that everyone needs loads of protein to A. Lose fat, and B. Increase strength and that it's imperative that normal people have a protein shake after each strength work out. I'm not talking about heavy lifting, I'm talking about your basic run of the mill strength workouts so if you want to lecture about heavy lifting and protein move along as that is not what I'm talking about. So I'm wondering why that is and why everyone says mfp's settings for protein are "too low" for most people. When someone asks about protein, someone had to come in and say their setting is "too low" because it's what mfp set for them. Why would mfp set it too low really? If it was too low wouldn't they have corrected it? Wouldn't there be a huge disclaimer about it being "too low"? Is it impossible for someone to lose fat and get stronger with 50g -70g of protein? To most mfp "experts" yes, how did this rumor come about that mfp settings are too low and that people need 100g of protein to lose fat?

Please refer us to where someone said that.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have only heard of people being advised to do this if they are strength training or struggling with the mfp protein setting. I know I was way over when I started using the site.

If mfp's setting works for you then use it. If it isn't working for you and you ask about it - people are going to offer you advice, seems a bit arsey to then moan about it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Bob on Biggest Loser told a contestant that they should eat protein after a workout to help rebuild the muscles.

Lol. Bob is a tool and consistently gives very poor info.

I have read that we may suggest too much protein. However, given our hugely carb world, it's probably generally good advice to suggest that people increase protein, but it's based on the individuals situation. It shouldn't just be a standard answer to everyone. I think protein is overrated.

but we'll trust random GuitarJerry on the interwebs! ;)

Maybe you should trust the results of multiple peer-reviewed studies. Just a thought.

backed by the very industries that stand to benefit from those studies? see the flaw?

oh rly?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Which one?

Per lb :)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Bob on Biggest Loser told a contestant that they should eat protein after a workout to help rebuild the muscles.

I have read that we may suggest too much protein. However, given our hugely carb world, it's probably generally good advice to suggest that people increase protein, but it's based on the individuals situation. It shouldn't just be a standard answer to everyone. I think protein is overrated.

Maybe you should trust the results of multiple peer-reviewed studies. Just a thought.

backed by the very industries that stand to benefit from those studies? see the flaw?
    I can't be the only one who sees the humor in that comment being made by someone who has a conflict of interest on this topic.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I can't be the only one who sees the humor in that comment being made by someone who has a conflict of interest on this topic.

<--- Aware.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Uhhhhhh, where exactly is the "protein myth" here? O.o

And good luck building muscle with a pittance of protein...let me know how that works for ya. ;)
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

And good luck building muscle with a pittance of protein...let me know how that works for ya. ;)

Indeed the building blocks of the human body, amino acids... good luck with carbs and your fats (ok fats are good for their uses on the membranes etc, I'll give you that).
  • Griffin220x
    Options

haha this right here people^^ Well said!
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options

Research on this has shown that excess proteins can cause damage to kidneys that are already diseased but is easily handled by healthy kidneys.