Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    All due respect to everyone's approach at this process, but I really do not understand why people are thinking you're doing yourself a disservice or even insinuating people are damaging themselves dramatically for eating less than *their* idea of less than stellar foods...especially when nearly everyone here is suggesting they do so in moderation. I just don't see where the logic suggests that people who eat a bit of "guilty pleasure" foods are somehow sabotaging their health. I refer back to the post that actually quoted science refuting this "fact".

Thanks for seeing why some of us are finding these topics so infuriating. There is a belief on here that you can somehow be healthy and fit by all objective standards, but if you're not eating perfectly then, well, you're really not "healthy" even if all of your medical diagnostics are great and you're in obviously great shape. I just don't get it.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

Agreed. You can't go the rest of your life without eating something that is not quite perfect. If this is your mindset, you are setting yourself up for failure. Not many can eat perfectly clean 100% of the time. I have been here before and gained all the weight back and this is why I am here. Good luck!

Well, it probably depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are young and reasonably healthy, looking better is likely a higher priority than health. When you are older, health becomes waaaay more important than vanity. Just sayin'.

My health is excellent thank you very much, and I certainly don't cut out the foods I enjoy.

Well, I'm glad---for your sake. But then, you're male, 40 and healthy. You missed my point.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Certainly better to eat healthy foods versus "junk" foods but even Jillian Michaels has recommended that you eat 80% healthy, 20% "cheat" type foods. For some, having the opportunity to eat foods that they enjoy (while they may not be the healthiest choice) in moderation, may prevent a binge later on. For me, I look to what I can sustain...I still eat the foods I like but try to cut down on my portion sizes and understand when I get a craving what is driving that craving. If you look in my diary you will see Mountain Dew on most days...but I always calculate that into my daily allowance or else I don't get it.
  • miame22
    miame22 Posts: 16
    Options
    There is weightloss and there is fit and healthy. You can eat 'junk' food and lose weight. But you can't follow that path if your goal is to get fit and improve your health. Your journey is yours...decide what your goals are and go for it.

This! There is a huge difference between thin and healthy. Tosca Reno calls it skinny fat. My sister falls into that category, she eats nothing but crap and weighs 120 lbs. But if you look at her labs and my labs... it tells a very different story. Eat clean!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

Agreed. You can't go the rest of your life without eating something that is not quite perfect. If this is your mindset, you are setting yourself up for failure. Not many can eat perfectly clean 100% of the time. I have been here before and gained all the weight back and this is why I am here. Good luck!

Well, it probably depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are young and reasonably healthy, looking better is likely a higher priority than health. When you are older, health becomes waaaay more important than vanity. Just sayin'.

My health is excellent thank you very much, and I certainly don't cut out the foods I enjoy.

Well, I'm glad---for your sake. But then, you're male, 40 and healthy. You missed my point.

Unless you've already gotten or developed some serious medical condition, maintaining a healthy body fat percentage, getting enough micronutrients, and getting regular exercise will get you pretty much everything you can get in terms of physical health.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

No. I'm pretty sure I didn't. I guess being male makes me healthy then in your book? Or is it 40. Or is it the very circular statement that I'm healthy?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    There is weightloss and there is fit and healthy. You can eat 'junk' food and lose weight. But you can't follow that path if your goal is to get fit and improve your health. Your journey is yours...decide what your goals are and go for it.

This! There is a huge difference between thin and healthy. Tosca Reno calls it skinny fat. My sister falls into that category, she eats nothing but crap and weighs 120 lbs. But if you look at her labs and my labs... it tells a very different story. Eat clean!

Skinnyfat is about body composition. Body composition is the result of exercise and macronutrient intake, nothing more.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation. Do not deny yourself some enjoyment of foods you love that are not necessarliy 'good' for you. The quickest way to fail is to deny yourself those foods that you crave.... moderation does work!
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All due respect to everyone's approach at this process, but I really do not understand why people are thinking you're doing yourself a disservice or even insinuating people are damaging themselves dramatically for eating less than *their* idea of less than stellar foods...especially when nearly everyone here is suggesting they do so in moderation. I just don't see where the logic suggests that people who eat a bit of "guilty pleasure" foods are somehow sabotaging their health. I refer back to the post that actually quoted science refuting this "fact".

Thanks for seeing why some of us are finding these topics so infuriating. There is a belief on here that you can somehow be healthy and fit by all objective standards, but if you're not eating perfectly then, well, you're really not "healthy" even if all of your medical diagnostics are great and you're in obviously great shape. I just don't get it.

For some, I believe this belief is because they medically cannot. A fraction of those people fighting it may be bitter. Some also feel the all or nothing mentality the scientific paper previously mentioned warned against. For a very chosen few, that works. But for the vast majority, it does not and is actually wildly UNhealthy. A small fraction of those people feel they are right, everyone else is wrong and they feel it is their moral obligation to correct everyone. In any of these cases, I am not judging...merely observing. People have to do what works for them. I only take issue when they try to use their yard stick on someone else. I can't follow that logic.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    you can still lose weight as long as you stay under calorie, if you deprive yourself of your favorite foods your losing weight will be shot! not to say you should not eat veggies and fruit, but you can still enjoy your favorite foods by eating in moderations, I kind of mix my eating up a little bit but i make sure i dont completely cut out foods i enjoy because i dont want to binge later sabataging my weight loss.

I do not binge. When I got rid of sugar and wheat, it ended any tendency I had to binge. :smile: If all of you are happy with your programs, then I'm happy for you. Using "science" to attack other people's choices and suggesting that they are somehow mentally ill because they choose not to eat sugary "treats" is ridiculous.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Skinnyfat is about body composition. Body composition is the result of exercise and macronutrient intake, nothing more.

Yea. I guess a few of us are "skinny fat" by this standard. LOL!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Calories in and calories out.. I choose to not eat the "junk" because it makes me feel.......junky.
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Nope. Health is important. I can't say I don't care what I look like but, I would rather be healthy and the most unattractive person than be unhealthy and be gorgeous. Certainly not vanity for me. Both my parents are morbidly obese---do not want to be like them. As mentioned, you don't know the junk I ate before coming here. It was very much worse than it is now. Baby steps, not trying to run a marathon until, I have worked my way up to that point. I have slowly weaned a great deal out but, I know that for the most part I am good. Not 100% but, yes, good.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options

LOL is right!
  • sunforme3
    sunforme3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree, to each his own, but for me healthy eating and subsequent weight loss is the goal. I just feel better when I eat fruits and vegetables and avod the processed stuff, but for all who can lose and manage to eat whatever they like, more power to them!!!! I just have to look at a bowl of ice cream and gain weight!!
  • jonnythan
    Options

Wait... were you agreeing with me or laughing at me? :laugh:
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If they're losing weight, why does it matter to you what they're eating?

Good nutrition has way more benefits than losing weight. Of course it matters what you eat..but it is an individual choice. There is no such thing as junk food, there's junk, and there's food.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

No. I'm pretty sure I didn't. I guess being male makes me healthy then in your book? Or is it 40. Or is it the very circular statement that I'm healthy?

You're the one who said you are healthy. I'm just suggesting that if you were old and sick, you might be more motivated to avoid the junk. Even now, we are all building cells---and what we put in our mouths determines the quality of those cells.

But there are lung cancer patients who smoke through the trach tubes in their necks--so, on second thought, nevermind.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    If they're losing weight, why does it matter to you what they're eating?

Good nutrition has way more benefits than losing weight. Of course it matters what you eat..but it is an individual choice. There is no such thing as junk food, there's junk, and there's food.

^^^THIS^^^
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Just because a person is losing weight doesn't mean they are losing undesireable fat. People who lose weight while eating junk food could be losing muscle, which weighs more than fat. So, initially the weight on the scale will drop. However, in the end, with less muscle to burn calories, continually eating junk food will make a person gain the weight back. Conversely, if you are eating healthy (and within you calorie limits) and the scale isn't dropping, it might be an indicator that you are building muscle. This is a good thing and eventually should help the undesireable fat drop off. A great way to see how you are doing and get a real sense of what is happening in and to your body is to do a hydrostatic underwater body fat test. It is the only 100% accurate measurement of body fat/ lean muscle mass.

Why would junk food result in loss of muscle mass if all other factors are equal?