Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'd say for the most part I eat healthy (at least relative to what I used to eat). That said, If I end up eating a burger with friends, so be it. I went 30+ years eating absolute garbage. Missing a day or two isn't going to kill me.
  • slim4life9112013
    Options
    well it depends on your personal goals if you ask me; I lost 90 lbs. in 35 weeks age 57 with Hashimotos disease & meds to cause WG you can lose; regardless of what people have read. I've proven that to myself. I went through expensive program that removed fruits; veggies; etc. I ate the same few choices for that length of time; with expensive products that guaranteed that WL; I couldn't afford to remain on with products for maintenance.

Bottom line is when you go through deprivation you go nuts after wards because you crave the things that were forbidden. It’s like Adam & Eve eating the forbidden apple.

It took us time to get here and it's called life; so this should be a lifestyle we can stick with. Weight gain isn’t always caused by food either; it can be caused by under eating and skipping meals; where body shuts down & goes into stored mode; so if we don’t change what brought us here in the first place won’t last. I've seen allot of food entries where people aren't eating enough!!! BE Very careful; my Dr. recommended eating at least 1500 calories a day; when we exercise we need to add additional H20 before/after as well as getting a protein in within 30 minutes following.

How long it takes us is up to the individual; slow is better anything over 2 lbs. is considered to be losing muscle and water. I wondered why people showed what they ate in first place; the scale tells most or the tape measure.

This is my personal opinion based on what I've experienced and learned over the years.

Anyone looking for support; please add me am new to mfp; thanks:smile:
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    All due respect to everyone's approach at this process, but I really do not understand why people are thinking you're doing yourself a disservice or even insinuating people are damaging themselves dramatically for eating less than *their* idea of less than stellar foods...especially when nearly everyone here is suggesting they do so in moderation. I just don't see where the logic suggests that people who eat a bit of "guilty pleasure" foods are somehow sabotaging their health. I refer back to the post that actually quoted science refuting this "fact".

Thanks for seeing why some of us are finding these topics so infuriating. There is a belief on here that you can somehow be healthy and fit by all objective standards, but if you're not eating perfectly then, well, you're really not "healthy" even if all of your medical diagnostics are great and you're in obviously great shape. I just don't get it.

Infuriating?? Really? I don't think any of us on the other side of the argument are telling you that you are mentally ill for choosing to eat foods that we would not. I think your defensiveness is showing. :wink:

Infuriating, as impossible to follow a logical argument that lacks logic.

The logic is in the fact that any extreme has been scientifically proven to be damaging. Balance and equilibrium is key in all things. Therein lies my logic. Then again, it all comes down to each individual's definition of junk, I suppose.

If you are a scientist, you will know that science cannot "prove" anything. It "suggests", it "supports", it "provides compelling evidence"---proves? No. What was quoted was someone's bloviating. Opinions are like belly buttons--we all have one. (I could have used a cruder analogy but I chose not to in the interest of guarding purity of mind). :wink:

Touche, but I will listen to someone who sources their data more than someone who accuses someone with simple opinion. DISPROVE and I will listen. Peace out :-).
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Kinda have to do what works for you it might be to avoid binges
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    While I don't think it would make a huge difference weight loss wise, it would definitely make a difference health-wise, whether the person can physically "feel" it or not. Providing your body with better nutrition is simply a better decision, period. Having the occasional "junk" food won't do any lasting harm, but it shouldn't be something you eat every day or even every other day IMO.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    if I completely cut out "junk" I would binge.... As long as I am under my goal for the day I'm good-

Eating junk only makes me crave more junk!

Guess we are all different huh?

I have the same tendencies. If you're wired this way, then cutting out the "junk" can be a viable approach for you. (I know, you "never giving anything completely up" type people will struggle to understand how this could be possible. Just accept that some people really are like this.) However, with practice, even the all-or-nothing types (like myself) can condition themselves to enjoy appropriate portions of "junk" in their diet.
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I see so many people going on about not getting nutrients - do they not sell multivitamins everywhere?

That is not how it works.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

Agreed. You can't go the rest of your life without eating something that is not quite perfect. If this is your mindset, you are setting yourself up for failure. Not many can eat perfectly clean 100% of the time. I have been here before and gained all the weight back and this is why I am here. Good luck!

Well, it probably depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are young and reasonably healthy, looking better is likely a higher priority than health. When you are older, health becomes waaaay more important than vanity. Just sayin'.

My health is excellent thank you very much, and I certainly don't cut out the foods I enjoy.

Well, I'm glad---for your sake. But then, you're male, 40 and healthy. You missed my point.

No. I'm pretty sure I didn't. I guess being male makes me healthy then in your book? Or is it 40. Or is it the very circular statement that I'm healthy?

You're the one who said you are healthy. I'm just suggesting that if you were old and sick, you might be more motivated to avoid junk food. But then, there are lung cancer patients who smoke through the trach tubes in their necks--so, on second thought, nevermind.

Are we not talking about causation here, or are you just intentionally confusing the subject now? I'm working to avoid the sick part and by all objective standards, I"m doing quite well. Old is inevitable.

Old IS inevitable, but the sick part is becoming a longer and longer part of life. Yes, we are living longer, but the number of years people are spending sick is a lot a matter of personal choices. I can remember a time before we had so many old people warehoused in nursing homes--when people were reasonably healthy until they...died.

/end thread/ there are people in nursing homes . . .

The whole nursing home thing confuses me. People are in nursing homes because they're less healthy? Or are they there because they're living years beyond past generations and need a place to go when they need assisted living? Or are they outliving their natural shelf life? Are they there because Ronald McDonald came about in their generation and put them there?

I guess I'm really confused.

I think they are there because they are sicker than they would otherwise be, primarily because of our unhealthy diets and the "medicalizing" of "mature" people--filling them full of toxic chemicals when it would be far better to feed them good food and help them to exercise. Did the ill-health come about because of a lack of exercise, or did it come about as a consequence of a lifetime of eating foods that failed to provide adequate nutrition? I say the latter. Our soils are depleted, we are heavily doused with toxic chemicals and all processed "foods" contain junk in the place that could be held by nourishing food. It has been carefully engineered to appeal (and addict) but it is diminishing the quality of life in the long run. Should we wonder that fertility rates are falling? Reproductive problems are the "canary in the mine". This issue is much broader than whether someone eats a slurpee or not (although, for the life of me, I cannot understand how someone would want to put a stew of frozen water, sugar syrup and artificial color into his/her body). How many more generations will be able to sustain our present lifestyle? As you can tell, I feel very passionate about this. Don't mean to offend anyone.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I see so many people going on about not getting nutrients - do they not sell multivitamins everywhere?

I don't take vitamins regularly. I get my micros through food. If I get there, and there's room for junk, and I want junk, then I eat it. It works for me.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

^^^THIS^^^
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    No. Being healthy and losing weight are two different things. Eating a healthy diet does not necessarily mean that a person will lose more weight than if they ate less healthy. We exercise and eat healthy so that we can look good and feel good. We eat less calories than our bodies need so that we can force our body to use up our excess fat storage.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    if I completely cut out "junk" I would binge.... As long as I am under my goal for the day I'm good-

I have the same tendencies. If you're wired this way, then cutting out the "junk" can be a viable approach for you. (I know, you "never giving anything completely up" type people will struggle to understand how this could be possible. Just accept that some people really are like this.) However, with practice, even the all-or-nothing types (like myself) can condition themselves to enjoy appropriate portions of "junk" in their diet.

Totally legitimate reason for cutting certain foods from a diet. People need to know what their triggers are and what their limits are. Some people can have a drink every night, other can party hard just for a weekend and some people will not be able to stop if they even have one drink. I dont see any difference between this and food to some people.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

I think they are there because they are sicker than they would otherwise be, primarily because of our unhealthy diets and the "medicalizing" of "mature" people--filling them full of toxic chemicals when it would be far better to feed them good food and help them to exercise. Did the ill-health come about because of a lack of exercise, or did it come about as a consequence of a lifetime of eating foods that failed to provide adequate nutrition? I say the latter. Our soils are depleted, we are heavily doused with toxic chemicals and all processed "foods" contain junk in the place that could be held by nourishing food. It has been carefully engineered to appeal (and addict) but it is diminishing the quality of life in the long run. Should we wonder that fertility rates are falling? Reproductive problems are the "canary in the mine". This issue is much broader than whether someone eats a slurpee or not (although, for the life of me, I cannot understand how someone would want to put a stew of frozen water, sugar syrup and artificial color into his/her body). How many more generations will be able to sustain our present lifestyle? As you can tell, I feel very passionate about this. Don't mean to offend anyone.

There is absolutely no way to know that. There are cultural differences also involved. In some societies elder members of the family are taken care of by the younger ones. The number of people being admitted to nursing homes may have nothing to do with deterioration of health standards but a change in social behavior.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Totally legitimate reason for cutting certain foods from a diet. People need to know what their triggers are and what their limits are. Some people can have a drink every night, other can party hard just for a weekend and some people will not be able to stop if they even have one drink. I dont see any difference between this and food to some people.

^^^^This^^^^ It just really makes my life a whole lot simpler. I get up in the morning and I may not know what, in particular, I will eat. But I do know what I will not eat. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

There is absolutely no way to know that. There are cultural differences also involved. In some societies elder members of the family are taken care of by the younger ones. The number of people being admitted to nursing homes may have nothing to do with deterioration of health standards but a change in social behavior.

Well, I agree that there is no way to know for sure---but I have made a bit of a study of the "terminal time" in life. It used to be that older people stayed active until they "took to their bed and started doctoring" (that's the way it was described several generations ago). And then they died. And I also agree that people cared for their own in times past. But even public health people are known to observe that we are living longer but are spending a vastly increased time being debilitated. The quality of that life tomorrow depends a lot on the choices we make now.
  • 3nchantress
    Options
    Eating basically whatever I want, just in smaller portions with a few tweaks here and there I'm losing probably a bit faster than I should be at about 3 1/4 lbs / week. At some point there is the likelihood that my diet will have to trend toward the healthier end, but it's not something that concerns me much. I eat very little in the way of pre-packaged, manufactured foods and keep as much to organics and whole foods as is possible (for me). Wine and a sugary, cream laden coffee factor into my daily diet almost daily. I often go over on my sugar and almost never hit my protein target (my family only eats meat a few times a week and I have no interest in eating the quantity of legumes and other sources of protein that it would require to hit my protein goal). I'm consistently under in carbs as well. Although the sugar issue concerns me slightly, my biggest health risk is my weight, and as long as I lose I'm doing my body a favour. If at any point I feel deprived, chances are I won't stick to it. So, it's coffee, wine and treats - and that's the way I like it!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    Options

Well, I agree that there is no way to know for sure---but I have made a bit of a study of the "terminal time" in life. It used to be that older people stayed active until they "took to their bed and started doctoring" (that's the way it was described several generations ago). And then they died. And I also agree that people cared for their own in times past. But even public health people are known to observe that we are living longer but are spending a vastly increased time being debilitated. The quality of that life tomorrow depends a lot on the choices we make now.

I would bet the amount of time that people are living longer is directly related to the amount of time they spend debilitated. So instead of dying they are kept alive but at a lesser than healthy state. You also mentioned that past generations were more active than modern society. That alone could be a bigger factor than the boogie man of "bad " food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Let's hear what the America College of Cardiology states:

Practice moderation. Don't have too much or too little of one thing. All foods, if eaten in moderation, can be part of healthy eating. Even sweets can be okay.

https://www.cardiosmart.org/healthwise/nutr/i/nutri

END THREAD

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sarahmonsta
    sarahmonsta Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person and their goals. I can tell a huge difference in how my body looks and feels when I eat a bunch of junk vs "healthy" food. At the same time though, I am not going to completely drop all junk food from my diet. Some days I have chips, crackers, a cookie, sucker, or go get myself some fast food, if it wasn't for that I would go crazy, but at the same time it is not EVERYDAY lol. But like I said it depends on the person and their goals. Whether one is doing it for a physical thing, health thing, or both it all depends. I think moderation is super important though.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Let's hear what the America College of Cardiology states:

Practice moderation. Don't have too much or too little of one thing. All foods, if eaten in moderation, can be part of healthy eating. Even sweets can be okay.

https://www.cardiosmart.org/healthwise/nutr/i/nutri

END THREAD

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thank you :-)