Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

Agreed. You can't go the rest of your life without eating something that is not quite perfect. If this is your mindset, you are setting yourself up for failure. Not many can eat perfectly clean 100% of the time. I have been here before and gained all the weight back and this is why I am here. Good luck!

Well, it probably depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are young and reasonably healthy, looking better is likely a higher priority than health. When you are older, health becomes waaaay more important than vanity. Just sayin'.

My health is excellent thank you very much, and I certainly don't cut out the foods I enjoy.

Well, I'm glad---for your sake. But then, you're male, 40 and healthy. You missed my point.

No. I'm pretty sure I didn't. I guess being male makes me healthy then in your book? Or is it 40. Or is it the very circular statement that I'm healthy?

You're the one who said you are healthy. I'm just suggesting that if you were old and sick, you might be more motivated to avoid junk food. But then, there are lung cancer patients who smoke through the trach tubes in their necks--so, on second thought, nevermind.

Are we not talking about causation here, or are you just intentionally confusing the subject now? I'm working to avoid the sick part and by all objective standards, I"m doing quite well. Old is inevitable.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for others, but at almost 250 pounds lost, I guess I've been doing okay. But I do eat some ("SOME!") "junk food." Sure, I like M&M's, and a few other things.

But that they are recording it and taking responsibility for it shows that they are aware, and aren't mindlessly eating.

I eat healthy most of the time, and enjoy an indulgence every now and then. I think that keeps me on track 90+% of the time.

Feel free to check out my diary, I'm always curious how it's seen by others.

Best,

-Bootjockey
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to cut out anything that I won't cut out for the rest of my life. It's not sustainable. I eat my fair share of fruit & veg and other healthy foods, but I eat junk too.

Agreed. You can't go the rest of your life without eating something that is not quite perfect. If this is your mindset, you are setting yourself up for failure. Not many can eat perfectly clean 100% of the time. I have been here before and gained all the weight back and this is why I am here. Good luck!

Well, it probably depends on what you're trying to achieve. If you are young and reasonably healthy, looking better is likely a higher priority than health. When you are older, health becomes waaaay more important than vanity. Just sayin'.

My health is excellent thank you very much, and I certainly don't cut out the foods I enjoy.

Well, I'm glad---for your sake. But then, you're male, 40 and healthy. You missed my point.

No. I'm pretty sure I didn't. I guess being male makes me healthy then in your book? Or is it 40. Or is it the very circular statement that I'm healthy?

You're the one who said you are healthy. I'm just suggesting that if you were old and sick, you might be more motivated to avoid junk food. But then, there are lung cancer patients who smoke through the trach tubes in their necks--so, on second thought, nevermind.

Are we not talking about causation here, or are you just intentionally confusing the subject now? I'm working to avoid the sick part and by all objective standards, I"m doing quite well. Old is inevitable.

Old IS inevitable, but the sick part is becoming a longer and longer part of life. Yes, we are living longer, but the number of years people are spending sick is a lot a matter of personal choices. I can remember a time before we had so many old people warehoused in nursing homes--when people were reasonably healthy until they...died.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Old IS inevitable, but the sick part is becoming a longer and longer part of life. Yes, we are living longer, but the number of years people are spending sick is a lot a matter of personal choices. I can remember a time before we had so many old people warehoused in nursing homes--when people were reasonably healthy until they...died.

/end thread/ there are people in nursing homes . . .
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    All due respect to everyone's approach at this process, but I really do not understand why people are thinking you're doing yourself a disservice or even insinuating people are damaging themselves dramatically for eating less than *their* idea of less than stellar foods...especially when nearly everyone here is suggesting they do so in moderation. I just don't see where the logic suggests that people who eat a bit of "guilty pleasure" foods are somehow sabotaging their health. I refer back to the post that actually quoted science refuting this "fact".

Thanks for seeing why some of us are finding these topics so infuriating. There is a belief on here that you can somehow be healthy and fit by all objective standards, but if you're not eating perfectly then, well, you're really not "healthy" even if all of your medical diagnostics are great and you're in obviously great shape. I just don't get it.

Infuriating?? Really? I don't think any of us on the other side of the argument are telling you that you are mentally ill for choosing to eat foods that we would not. I think your defensiveness is showing. :wink:
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I've tried to stay out of this until now, but:
    1) The whole point here is that people have a moderated amt of comfort foods. Name for me one person in those "olden days" who did not eat more fats and unhealthy foods than not. I've heard how life was and learned recipes from them (German, Polish, Irish, poooor descent here). I spend my time trying to make them more healthy. The point is that they were all FAAAAR more active.

2) Again I say, where is the dichotomy of this logic that having a little, measured, well-regulated amount of semi-unhealthy things people like to make them completely unhealthy, especially down the road. It's been scientifically proven over and over that a happy, healthy balance is best.

I don't want a fight, seriously. Your way works for you. Their way works for them. There is no solution to this conversation aside from this.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options
    All due respect to everyone's approach at this process, but I really do not understand why people are thinking you're doing yourself a disservice or even insinuating people are damaging themselves dramatically for eating less than *their* idea of less than stellar foods...especially when nearly everyone here is suggesting they do so in moderation. I just don't see where the logic suggests that people who eat a bit of "guilty pleasure" foods are somehow sabotaging their health. I refer back to the post that actually quoted science refuting this "fact".

Thanks for seeing why some of us are finding these topics so infuriating. There is a belief on here that you can somehow be healthy and fit by all objective standards, but if you're not eating perfectly then, well, you're really not "healthy" even if all of your medical diagnostics are great and you're in obviously great shape. I just don't get it.

Infuriating?? Really? I don't think any of us on the other side of the argument are telling you that you are mentally ill for choosing to eat foods that we would not. I think your defensiveness is showing. :wink:

Mentally ill may not have been said, but the condescension was certainly palpable in some cases. Almost as if to say "well, do what you will do but I personally don't want to be unhealthy."

Edit: Oh God...even I notice how this is argumentative and I'm sorry. I just think some of the comments may not have been as understanding of the bigger picture as others.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Infuriating, as impossible to follow a logical argument that lacks logic.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

The whole nursing home thing confuses me. People are in nursing homes because they're less healthy? Or are they there because they're living years beyond past generations and need a place to go when they need assisted living? Or are they outliving their natural shelf life? Are they there because Ronald McDonald came about in their generation and put them there?

I guess I'm really confused.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I lost 45lbs eating mainly fast food.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options

The logic is in the fact that any extreme has been scientifically proven to be damaging. Balance and equilibrium is key in all things. Therein lies my logic. Then again, it all comes down to each individual's definition of junk, I suppose.
  • dolphinswimmer15
    Options
    For me it's about portion control and making healthier choices. Right now most of my food would fit into "junk" in a lot of people's minds. However I eat them because for me it makes portion control and makes counting calories easier. I eat foods, I work out, I eat my cardio-machine calories back, but not my weight lifting ones (I don't know how much I'm burning with weight lifting) or the ones from cleaning, walking for parts of my job, taking the dog for walks. If I had a food scale and all the time in the world I would eat more "clean" foods, however in my current station in life this is not sustainable for me. It's about doing things that I can live with for the long haul.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

1) The whole point here is that people have a moderated amt of comfort foods. Name for me one person in those "olden days" who did not eat more fats and unhealthy foods than not. I've heard how life was and learned recipes from them. I spend my time trying to make them more healthy. The point is that they were all FAAAAR more active.

2) Again I say, where is the dichotomy of this logic that having a little, measured, well-regulated amount of semi-unhealthy things people like to make them completely unhealthy, especially down the road. It's been scientifically proven over and over that a happy, healthy balance is best.

I don't want a fight, seriously. Your way works for you. Their way works for them. There is no solution to this conversation aside from this.

Yes, they were far more active. My great-great grandfather dropped dead at 80 while hiking home from the store with a wagon load of groceries. But one thing I do know is that he wasn't eating a lot of sugar because he lived before sugar consumption skyrocketed.

Sugar, in particular is addictive---you only need to look at national consumption figures to know that is true. The more people eat of it, the more they want. You could chant "moderation-moderation" to an alcoholic. You can do that if you want to but from the other side, it makes the person who is preaching "willpower and moderation" seem a little clueless.
  • trollsb
    trollsb Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I see so many people going on about not getting nutrients - do they not sell multivitamins everywhere?
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Options

The whole nursing home thing confuses me. People are in nursing homes because they're less healthy? Or are they there because they're living years beyond past generations and need a place to go when they need assisted living? Or are they outliving their natural shelf life? Are they there because Ronald McDonald came about in their generation and put them there?

I guess I'm really confused.

Yes, it is confusing...the nursing home part - my grandmother is 90 and not in a nursing home and ate a pound of bacon every day that she shared with my grandfather...She works part time at a nursing home and does all her own laundry and cooking. She has surpassed my grandfather and has done this all on her own....I guess genes have a lot to do with it.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i did!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Just because a person is losing weight doesn't mean they are losing undesireable fat. People who lose weight while eating junk food could be losing muscle, which weighs more than fat. So, initially the weight on the scale will drop. However, in the end, with less muscle to burn calories, continually eating junk food will make a person gain the weight back. Conversely, if you are eating healthy (and within you calorie limits) and the scale isn't dropping, it might be an indicator that you are building muscle. This is a good thing and eventually should help the undesireable fat drop off. A great way to see how you are doing and get a real sense of what is happening in and to your body is to do a hydrostatic underwater body fat test. It is the only 100% accurate measurement of body fat/ lean muscle mass.
    You invaribly lose fat and muscle while losing weight. You help to retain more lean muscle by resistance training and enough protein intake.
    And building muscle on a calorie deficit isn't likely since a surplus is needed (there are a couple of exceptions). And NO method of measuring body fat is 100% correct. If you did hydostatic test and held your breath, the reading would be off since you're supposed to blow out all the air out of your lungs.

Point is that there are ways to lose body fat while eating junk, but one has to make sure certain things need to be lined up nutritionally to ensure muscle is retained and calorie deficit is maintained.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Stormchasegrl
    Options

1) The whole point here is that people have a moderated amt of comfort foods. Name for me one person in those "olden days" who did not eat more fats and unhealthy foods than not. I've heard how life was and learned recipes from them. I spend my time trying to make them more healthy. The point is that they were all FAAAAR more active.

Yes, they were far more active. My great-great grandfather dropped dead at 80 while hiking home from the store with a wagon load of groceries. But one thing I do know is that he wasn't eating a lot of sugar because he lived before sugar consumption skyrocketed.

Sugar, in particular is addictive---you only need to look at national consumption figures to know that is true. The more people eat of it, the more they want. You could chant "moderation-moderation" to an alcoholic. You can do that if you want to but from the other side, it makes the person who is preaching "willpower and moderation" seem a little clueless.

No one here is telling them to moderate. They're saying they ARE moderating and people are telling them that they are still bad. Well, I'm sorry but sugars are actually not bad for you, they're good (again) in moderation.

Edit: I'm out all. There is no end to this, so I'm just backing out. Good luck to all, no matter your approach to this process. I wish you all success, happiness and health.
  • ForABetterMe89
    Options
    I've only lost 6 lbs so far, and have about 15 more to go. While I completely understand that I would probably lose much more weight a lot faster by eating a lot more fruits and veggies, I'm trying to do it in a way I know I can successfully lose weight. If I tell myself I am never allowed to eat out with my husband and son, I'm not allowed to have my taco Tuesday nights, or Oreos when I really need a sugar rush I'm going to fail. I have to have these things when I want them. Instead of downing 1/3 of a package of oreos now I have a serving size, and it's helping. When I restrict myself too much I give up after about 3 days when I craving everything and anything I can get my hands on and then binged and ruin everything.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

The logic is in the fact that any extreme has been scientifically proven to be damaging. Balance and equilibrium is key in all things. Therein lies my logic. Then again, it all comes down to each individual's definition of junk, I suppose.

If you are a scientist, you will know that science cannot "prove" anything. It "suggests", it "supports", it "provides compelling evidence"---proves? No. What was quoted was someone's bloviating. Opinions are like belly buttons--we all have one. (I could have used a cruder analogy but I chose not to in the interest of guarding purity of mind). :wink: