Eating "junk" and losing weight?

Options

Replies

• lovehan
    lovehan Posts: 19
    Options
    I feel as though the majority of us start out trying to 'lose weight' and become skinnier and that's okay because we've only just begun and are still in the learning stage. After a while however, I think it's important to realise this shouldn't be about trying to lose weight but to become healthy! Therefore we shouldn't actually want to eat junk food regularly but instead find healthier alternatives or consider these foods a 'once in a while' treat.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    ummmmm.......i eat mcdonalds everyday.................................
  • belle19822000
    belle19822000 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Has anyone seen how hot-dogs are made? Has anyone seen what sort of junk they put in margarine, salami, sausage, etc....???? ANYONE????

I feel privileged to live in a small country, that I can buy fresh meat, fruit and vegetables in the market, and groceries, only 10 minutes away from my home and by foot!

The worst category meat plus bones are chopped then minced, lard and spices added, and some other chemicals, so you can eat "lovely" crap food. I get sick after eating sausage, or deep fried pancake with salami (I take 1 bite and feel sick to my stomack!)

I have to post this again: The worst category meat plus bones are chopped then minced, lard and spices added, and some other chemicals, so you can eat "lovely" crap food.

Do you get it????? You might as well eat from the dumpster, no difference!

Good luck!
  • bigrlv
    bigrlv Posts: 5
    Options
    For anyone those foods are working differently. For me- not so good, thats why I am not using any of those "junk" foods at all, the I'm trying to archieve my weight goals. I don't see why it should be done, because every calories u save will add up and at the end of the month it will be like lost 2kg more, so good job. Yeah, I know that lots of people are saying that it's unhealthy - taking less alories than reccommeded, but hay-really? Why it is that? I did it in the past and believe me-din't felt bad at all, but hay - anyone got his/her own weaknesses :)
  • Katrinadionne1808
    Options
    I started out using MFP thinking I was eating relatively heathily - I make most of the meals from raw ingriedients.

However MFP highlighted how unhealthy and full of cals some of these foods were e.g. breakfast cereals! So by using MFP I now make healthier choices but there are still some days where I think I really fancy a bowl of crunch nut.

I don't plan to deny myself anything because then making this change will feel like a chore and I want it to be gradual so eventually I'll think, do you know what I don't really fancy that bar of chocolate rather than thinking I am not allowed to have that bar of chocolate.

Like now I have just made myself a smoothie of apples, kale and ginger in the hope I can get to 1pm without wanting to eat. I've bought healthier, lowet calorie snack options such as crab sticks rather than grabbing a biscuit.

I don't think we should go on at people too much about their diet - each to their own, but I would rather make a slow gradual change instead of denying myself loads of stuff and then having a blow out and feeling guilty. Everything in moderation!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I see so many people going on about not getting nutrients - do they not sell multivitamins everywhere?

That is not how it works.

That's not how *what* works? You seem to be implying that vitamins don't contain nutrients.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I see so many people going on about not getting nutrients - do they not sell multivitamins everywhere?

That's not how *what* works? You seem to be implying that vitamins don't contain nutrients.

The idea is that a multivitamin can't reproduce all the beneficial nutrients contained within a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Eating a diet based on 'junk' food while limiting my calories just didn't work for me. 'Junk' food is too high in calories, fat, carbs, salt and lack nutrition. I would lose weight but oh so slowly. Eating more 'natural' food words a lot better for me. The pounds have been melting off since I eat better. I do, however, fall off the wagon occasionally. And...the key words in the post are 'for me'. This is what works for me, doesn't mean everyone has to do it this way.

Also, multivitamins are supposed to be supplements...not the main source of nutrition.
  • Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Same here! I don't share because I don't need the judgements from random people. I have enough drama in my life lol! But if I want this to be sustainable, I will eat health-IER while still enjoying everything I love. I'm not going to cut everything I love out of my life only to relapse later because I want things I enjoy. It's all about learning to moderate them and work for them. :-)

Yup! Except slurpies aren't my thing......caramel anything mmmmmmmm.!:wink:
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Let's take yesterday as an example. I ate pancakes, sausage and bacon for breakfast. I drank copious amounts of coffee. For first lunch I ate lentil, vegetable and pork stew, and some ice cream. For second lunch, I ate a pork chop and some chicken. At dinner I had more stew and 3 oz of whiskey. I also mixed in an orange and an apple. It was a pretty typical day for me except that I usually eat a couple more cups of vegetables and usually get more vitamin A through sweet potatoes or other sources. I often add pizza, real pizza, not the fake stuff I see on here all the time. Oh, and beer, I like beer. I weight train 4 days a week and run 2 to 3 times a week.

I'm 40 years old. I'm fit. I'm healthy. My doctor has told me he rarely sees anyone with an echocardiogram as solid as mine. My diagnostics are all solid. I am on a cut right now and the weight is absolutely falling off, as usual. This is so easy that I am incredibly amused at those arguing that it won't work, or that I'm somehow damaging myself long-term in some undefinable way.

If you have another approach that works for you, then by all means do it. But I'm not out of shape, unhealthy and struggling, or hiding behind a fake picture and locked profile, and telling everyone else that what they are doing won't work.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    to each is own, they wont lose as quick that wont affect you! congrats on your hard work, it will show in the end! keep it up and dont worry bout others, if they annoy you with their entries, just dont read em! focus on like minded ppl!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    if it makes u sick, why eat it?
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Youre are right, fruit and vegetables !
  • FitSlimHappy
    Options
    I think this sometimes, but obviously everyone if different and who are we to judge. I prefer to have plenty of fresh fruit and veg as i know if i eat processed foods i will not shift the weight or get me to my ultimate goal of being healthy all round. But of course everyone has different goals so if you find something else that works for losing weight, hats off to you and I hope you all get where you want to be
  • jonnythan
    Options
    No one seems to really be able to articulate just what "junk" food is and the actual negative effects of each of the aspects/ingredients.

Protein is protein. Fat is fat. Yes, someone mentioned that there are different types of fat, but saturated fat is saturated fat whether it came from a Twinkie or raw milk. He also mentioned BCAAs, which is funny because BCAAs exist in large quantities in meat and whey.

Nutrients are nutrients, wherever they come from.
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As long at most of what you eat is healthy then it shouldnt matter, but keeping to your calories on a diet of junk food will work to a certain level, but I cant see who would be happy with feeling hungry all the time and eating so much salt and fat
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    No. It doesn't make any difference at all. I get sufficient vitamins and minerals, make sure my macros are met, and my calories are within my allotment. That is all and it works.

*face palm*

when you have health problems due to said eating of crappy food, then you will take back these words.

For some people meeting macros and calories is all that matters, but having lots of whole foods and getting the correct minerals is important too. Too much salt increases chance of stroke, too much processed meat increases chances of cancer etc etc the list goes on. I have processed food here and there, but definitely have 75%+ fresh (maybe steamed) and I feel great these days thanks to it.

Eat crap within your limit if all you care about are fat rolls. In the long run you'll regret it! Jus' sayin'...
  • jonnythan
    Options
    when you have health problems due to said eating of crappy food, then you will take back these words.

What health problems are caused solely by eating of "crappy" food (whatever that means) and not a result of lack of exercise and poor body composition?
    but having lots of whole foods and getting the correct minerals is important too.

Are you saying you can't get the "correct minerals" by eating a lot of "crappy" food?
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

The idea is that a multivitamin can't reproduce all the beneficial nutrients contained within a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.

haha it would be nice if everything we needed was simply in a pill. It's a SUPPLEMENT...

I personally need vitamin D for calcium absorption, calcium, fish oil and also take a multi to try assist in balancing my hormones (thyroid issues). But that doesn't stop be from eating like an absolute rabbit when I get the chance, and trying to fir in my serving of seafood every day or calcium rich foods. (but nothing will make me stand in the sun for my vit D, no wrinkles thanks).