Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options

Replies

• StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm just posting here because I didn't think 12 pages of comments on this post was enough.
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    General note.....I didn't say my opinion to offend anybody. You are all entitled to your opinion whether you agree with me or not. I'm simply stating an opinion, not trying to argue with anybody.
    You are entitled to your opinion, and it's a good thing you clarified that it's all just your opinion. Statements like "If you're overweight, you're not healthy. I'm sorry to tell you. It's very simple. Overweight is unhealthy no matter what way you look at it" kind of make it sound like it's not an opinion, but an undeniable fact that has come down to you from the high grand poohbah of be-all-end-all.

And it's not.

It's an opinion. (And not even a correct one!) (But we'll have to agree to disagree :flowerforyou: )

You said this better than I could have.
    There is a huge difference between having an opinion and spewing things that are just incorrect.
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    wikitbikit... Not correct in your opinion :) But yes agree to disagree...although....Medically speaking, any doctor will tell you being overweight is unhealthy, no matter how you look at it. That is a fact. ....but everything else is just an opinion as I pointed out....so on the rest.... yes, agree to disagree. :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    wikitbikit... Not correct in your opinion :) But yes agree to disagree...although....Medically speaking, any doctor will tell you being overweight is unhealthy, no matter how you look at it. That is a fact. ....but everything else is just an opinion as I pointed out....so on the rest.... yes, agree to disagree. :)

That's not true. Goodness.
    Where do you draw the line of being overweight? What is overweight?

Is 5 pounds overweight unhealthy?
    Is 10 pounds?
    1 pound?

COME ON. You are spewing ignorance left and right.

And before you talk about BMI:

"BMI does not measure body fat or muscle and it fails to take into consideration the distribution of fat on the body. This can often classify someone as overweight or obese who is lean and muscular, which will increase the overall body weight but not increase body fat. This is especially true for athletes, bodybuilders and weightlifters."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/article/78471-bmi-mean/#ixzz2MbefTSO1
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    i agree with 90% of this post
    the other 10%... well, who said a pear shape couldn't be curvy?

Narcissistic people said that.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Tigresspat...If you're overweight, you're not healthy. I'm sorry to tell you. It's very simple. Overweight is unhealthy no matter what way you look at it. You may have a perfect bill of health otherwise, but being overweight means you have excess fat stores around your organs. Your systems don't function as efficiently, and The extra fat puts strain on the organs. Not to mention that you are increasing risk for diabetes, heart disease, hypertension....the list goes on.

This is actually not true. I'm overweight, and have been for some time. My blood pressure is low, my blood sugar is perfect, my cholesterol is low. I exercise, I am pretty careful what I eat, and my blood work is always ideal or a bit better than.

It's possible for people to be healthy at a lot of different weights. And there are plenty of thin people who are unhealthy. Being thin is no guarantee of good. health, just like overweight is not guarantee of poor health.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    "Curvy is as curvy does."

Forrest Plump

I personally think that "once you go chunky, everything else is funky". :tongue:

(I don't post much, but it does seem like some people get too caught up in the drama.)
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    "Curvy is as curvy does."

Forrest Plump

I personally think that "once you go chunky, everything else is funky". :tongue:

(I don't post much, but it does seem like some people get too caught up in the drama.)

hahaha!

now, there are two more adjectives! plump, and chunky!

and how about 'well-rounded'?

i saw a t-shirt once that said, 'i don't go skinny-dippin', i go chunky-dunkin' '.

oh, that little white dog is beyond adorable...
  • Jennnifit
    Jennnifit Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So like, in other news. . . .I am scrolling through and glancing at everyone's weight loss or lbs to go and, I am super excited and happy for you all! Way to go!!! I love seeing this. :happy:
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Is the issue that the word "curvy" was used instead of "hourglass"? I have an hourglass figure, in that my bust and hips are just about the same size and my waist is much smaller. I had this shape at 120 pounds and at 220 pounds. Why CAN'T a plus-sized model be used as the "curvy" example? Would you have been equally mad if you were a pear-shaped woman with a smaller body and a plus-sized model was used for that body type instead?
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Scott2ndGradeTeacher Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Two men are having a drink...

"I met this girl and she had an hourglass figure."

"Wow...she sounds yummy!"

"Yeah. Unfortunately, most of the sand had shifted to her bottom."

(Relax, people...it's a joke.)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Is the issue that the word "curvy" was used instead of "hourglass"? I have an hourglass figure, in that my bust and hips are just about the same size and my waist is much smaller. I had this shape at 120 pounds and at 220 pounds. Why CAN'T a plus-sized model be used as the "curvy" example? Would you have been equally mad if you were a pear-shaped woman with a smaller body and a plus-sized model was used for that body type instead?

Almost always a plus size model is used for pear shape.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Tigresspat...If you're overweight, you're not healthy. I'm sorry to tell you. It's very simple. Overweight is unhealthy no matter what way you look at it. You may have a perfect bill of health otherwise, but being overweight means you have excess fat stores around your organs. Your systems don't function as efficiently, and The extra fat puts strain on the organs. Not to mention that you are increasing risk for diabetes, heart disease, hypertension....the list goes on. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call that healthy. I don't care if what I say offends you. It is just my opinion, and I'm not afraid to share it. I don't care what your proportions are...if you are overweight you're not curvy, You are fat. Sorry if it bothers you. It is how I see it...I'm obviously not the only one because there are many people in this post who agree with me and the ranting girl. Plus, I don't care if you can stick your foot over your head and have tons of cleavage, lol, no one really cares, that was an arrogant statement, one aimed at making yourself feel superior and making yourself feel as though you displaced my comment. I guess if that helps you feel better :) whatever. (plus if you're overweight as you say, no one really wants to see that!)

General note.....I didn't say my opinion to offend anybody. You are all entitled to your opinion whether you agree with me or not. I'm simply stating an opinion, not trying to argue with anybody. I am not trying to be mean but I think the term "curvy" is used to be politically correct and it is applied to liberally to people who clearly don't fit the definition. As with anything, there is going to be differences of opinion. All I am saying, is that I agree with the girl who opened the post, and if you don't that's cool. :)

are you a medical professional???
    because you are really wrong.
    a woman with a tiny waist comparative to her larger hips and breasts is NOT at risk for any of those things any more than YOU are. Even if her BMI makes her technically overweight.
    Try educating yourself a bit before spouting off next time.

btw, why are you even on this site?
  • TigressPat
    Options

*laughs*
    funny, because I have had about 10 doctors tell me differently.
    I guess all the highly trained medical professionals are wrong and the self-professed fat hating gymnast is is right.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Tigresspat...If you're overweight, you're not healthy. I'm sorry to tell you. It's very simple. Overweight is unhealthy no matter what way you look at it. You may have a perfect bill of health otherwise, but being overweight means you have excess fat stores around your organs. Your systems don't function as efficiently, and The extra fat puts strain on the organs. Not to mention that you are increasing risk for diabetes, heart disease, hypertension....the list goes on. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't call that healthy. I don't care if what I say offends you. It is just my opinion, and I'm not afraid to share it. I don't care what your proportions are...if you are overweight you're not curvy, You are fat. Sorry if it bothers you. It is how I see it...I'm obviously not the only one because there are many people in this post who agree with me and the ranting girl. Plus, I don't care if you can stick your foot over your head and have tons of cleavage, lol, no one really cares, that was an arrogant statement, one aimed at making yourself feel superior and making yourself feel as though you displaced my comment. I guess if that helps you feel better :) whatever. (plus if you're overweight as you say, no one really wants to see that!)

General note.....I didn't say my opinion to offend anybody. You are all entitled to your opinion whether you agree with me or not. I'm simply stating an opinion, not trying to argue with anybody. I am not trying to be mean but I think the term "curvy" is used to be politically correct and it is applied to liberally to people who clearly don't fit the definition. As with anything, there is going to be differences of opinion. All I am saying, is that I agree with the girl who opened the post, and if you don't that's cool. :)

are you a medical professional???
    because you are really wrong.
    a woman with a tiny waist comparative to her larger hips and breasts is NOT at risk for any of those things any more than YOU are. Even if her BMI makes her technically overweight.
    Try educating yourself a bit before spouting off next time.

btw, why are you even on this site?

According to her ticker, it is because she has a little over 50 lbs to lose. I'm reading all her comments like the pot trying to call the kettle black. It's kind of ridiculous.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    if you have a BMI in the overweight and above category...I don't care what your proportions are...you aren't curvy ...you're fat...medically speaking. Your doctor isn't going to come in and say "heyy you've got a really curvy body lately"...No, he's going to come in and say your overweight/fat.

I have never in my life walked into a patients room and started with 'hey you are fat' lol - I would get annihilated, plus I have tact

BTW I have seen many women in the overweight BMI category who are quite skinny and I would not think they have much weight to lose at all
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Edited for simplification.....
    Tigress pat...I'm in school for medicine and biological sciences. So yes, soon I will be a medical professional. my training is not yet finished, so of course listen to your doctor(I would think that would be understood?) But I am saying what I know to be true. BMI is generally a good indicator for how overweight you might be (hence why it is used by doctors and nutritionists the world over as a basic indicator!), it gives a reasonable and logical range of what you should be at certain heights. We all know and understand that it is not the only indicator of health, naturally. Yes of course there are exceptions for people with a ton of muscle, I'm not ignorant enough to presume that there aren't exceptions! But, I will rephrase my former statement...If you are overweight, and by overweight I mean in terms of excess weight from fat stores, then you are unhealthy. "Healthy" is a choice phrase that encompasses many aspects of overall health. So, while your blood pressure might be fine, and you have a normal pulse, your vitals might be good.....there are other aspects of health that are lacking when you are overweight. Extra weight puts extra strain on your systems, and body. There is decreased standard of living (whether you see it or not!), and while you may seem "healthy", in some aspects, now you will not remain so forever if you remain overweight. Your risk for certain problems such as cancer, diabetes, and heart disease is higher when you're overweight....and by the way...I'm on this site because I gained weight due to a Brain tumor and thyroid disease, and the corresponding surgery I just had to remove my tumor. The picture you see is of me 2 years ago. It is my motivator and where I would love to be again. So on a lighter note...I actually have cleavage now when I stick my leg over my head too. lol
    Christine 1989....I did gain weight due to a brain tumor and thryoid disease and have about 50 lbs more before I'm done. Which is why I said in earlier posts I know what its like to be every size, under and over weight, and I said also in an earlier post that when I was fat I called it like it is....Also, I never said I was any better or worse, i made general statements about being overweight and the corresponding level of health. As it stands I am unhealthy. I completely stand by the statements I made however. The only difference is I am not afraid to say I am unhealthy.
    Inskydiamonds.....You are right, my education is not yet finished, So i'm not the know all end all. I never professed to be. I was merely stating what I know to be true. Everyone should take anyone's opinion with a grain of salt, But when I finish, I highly doubt I will relinquish my opinion on the matter. And you are also right that my bedside manner will have to improve. I am much to...how shall we call it...sassy?...overly opinionated.... I will certainly have to dial that down when I see my patients. But I will not sugar coat things for the patients, and when they are unhealthy I will make them aware so they can know the reality of the situation, and know their options.

(end of edited portion)

We, aren't going to see eye to eye, and if you don't like what I have to say then ignore me! I think you're wrong...you think I'm wrong. C'est la vie...such is life! I'm not going to convince you, and you sure as heck aren't going to change my mind! If you think I'm ignorant fine, but understand I think you're dumber then a pile of rocks...so again, and hopefully for the last time....agree to disagree. With all this being said we are on a weight loss/maintenance/fitness website, and we are all moving forward trying to be normal/healthy weights, fitter people, and essentially healthier and happier people...so we really should all move past the whole conversation and focus on our own fitness journey's and be mutually supportive of each other, no matter what our opinion on the whole matter is. So I hope you the best, and all those other people in the conversation who I talked to.. I hope you the best as well. The conversation seems to have shifted way past what the original author meant for it to be.... :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    inskydiamonds...wow, okay. I'm in college for biological sciences and medicine....

(edited for snark)

Additionally, if you're planning on going into medicine at all you should learn some bedside manners. Your patients will know full well what your opinions are on their size based on how you deal with them. I'm sure they'll keep coming back to you when you make clear to them how fat you think they are!

And while Livestrong may not be the know all end all of actual health, there are multiple studies about BMI that invalidate it as being the "know all end all" of what indicates health. And with that said, your incomplete studies hardly make you the know all end all of actual health either.

Good day.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    double post
  • TigressPat
    Options
    if you have a BMI in the overweight and above category...I don't care what your proportions are...you aren't curvy ...you're fat...medically speaking. Your doctor isn't going to come in and say "heyy you've got a really curvy body lately"...No, he's going to come in and say your overweight/fat.

I have never in my life walked into a patients room and started with 'hey you are fat' lol - I would get annihilated, plus I have tact

BTW I have seen many women in the overweight BMI category who are quite skinny and I would not think they have much weight to lose at all

hey doc, can you give us your professional 2 cents without risking a lawsuit?

I'm 5'3" 164lbs (working on it!), 46 inch bust, 29 inch waist, 44 inch hips.
    am I at an increased risk for all those lovely things cheerbabe insists I am?
This discussion has been closed.