Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    if you have a BMI in the overweight and above category...I don't care what your proportions are...you aren't curvy ...you're fat...medically speaking. Your doctor isn't going to come in and say "heyy you've got a really curvy body lately"...No, he's going to come in and say your overweight/fat.

I have never in my life walked into a patients room and started with 'hey you are fat' lol - I would get annihilated, plus I have tact

BTW I have seen many women in the overweight BMI category who are quite skinny and I would not think they have much weight to lose at all

And there you have it, folks. An actual honest to God medical professional (with an actual M.D. and some experience) who grasps the simple concept that BMI is not, nor ever should have been, the gold standard for health.

Also, cheerbabe? Manners. Tact. There's a difference between "sugar-coating" and "not being a complete monster to your patients." Thank God you're not my doctor!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you think I'm ignorant fine, but understand I think you're dumber then a pile of rocks...
    That is... pretty awesome. Almost as awesome as your crotch shot profile pic, but not quite.

Good luck with your studies, cheerbabe. :ohwell:
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    If you think I'm ignorant fine, but understand I think you're dumber then a pile of rocks...
    That is... pretty awesome. Almost as awesome as your crotch shot profile pic, but not quite.

I didn't even read the whole thing from her because it was too long with too many ellipses and no capitalization. It's funny who was calling who a dumb pile of rocks. And I'm kicking myself now for censoring myself and taking out the snark I made about it in my response to her.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

giggles and claps
  • TigressPat
    Options

I didn't even read the whole thing from her because it was too long with too many ellipses and no capitalization. It's funny who was calling who a dumb pile of rocks. And I'm kicking myself now for censoring myself and taking out the snark I made about it in my response to her.

you can always re-insert it!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

That's true! But I can take the higher road. Her own comment provides all the laughs at her without me looking like the bad guy ;)
  • TigressPat
    Options

That's true! But I can take the higher road. Her own comment provides all the laughs at her without me looking like the bad guy ;)

sure, if anyone can actually muddle through them! I stopped reading after a sentence or two myself.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    okay i get it .. im fat not curvy ... go find something to do with ur time !
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    OP: I totally agree. The word to describe a 'curvy' body these days is used in replacement of 'overweight' and I really dislike it. I am reasonably curvy, a healthy weight (but I'd like to change a few places *pokes stomach*) and whenever they mention curvy on TV, magazines, anywhere it is always an overweight person shown. Again as you said, overweight people /can/ be curvy for sure.

But it seems it's used as a replacement, a polite way of saying 'overweight' IMO. Since America, UK, Australia now has such a high percentage of population overweight, I guess there's a need to say it more indirectly? I've lived in Japan for 6 months and am at a ski lodge here now with lots of foreigners (mostly Australians), and I am overwhelmed by how many overweight people there are! It's almost like it's a prerequisite these days when you're a westerner, it's really sad, and this new use of the word 'curvy' reflects a saddening trend...
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

sure, if anyone can actually muddle through them! I stopped reading after a sentence or two myself.

:P
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    f09510a4-2801-47bc-a160-6557c8de0507_zps9f7fdc4a.jpg

Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

Also, ignore the dirty mirror.

Don't bash because you're insecure with yourself.

Is it creepy to chime in on this? I would have never guessed you're a size 18, I'd say below a 14 but I guess you must not be too tall... definitely 'curvy' by OP's definition :P and also adorable.

...do the creep! *raises hands*
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    if you have a BMI in the overweight and above category...I don't care what your proportions are...you aren't curvy ...you're fat...medically speaking. Your doctor isn't going to come in and say "heyy you've got a really curvy body lately"...No, he's going to come in and say your overweight/fat.

I have never in my life walked into a patients room and started with 'hey you are fat' lol - I would get annihilated, plus I have tact

BTW I have seen many women in the overweight BMI category who are quite skinny and I would not think they have much weight to lose at all

Excatly! i am one of them!
  • cheerbabe080790
    cheerbabe080790 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    lol. You ladies are amusing. You can talk about me all you want but you are only making yourselves look catty. What didn't you get about agree to disagree? Just move on. We all don't see eye to eye, so just get over it. :)
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    lol. You ladies are amusing. You can talk about me all you want but you are only making yourselves look catty. What didn't you get about agree to disagree? Just move on. We all don't see eye to eye, so just get over it. :)

Time out sweet pea, who's calling who catty again?

There are appropriate ways to state your opinions and there are offensive ways to state your opinions. You are falling into the latter category.
  • lilmissymoo90
    lilmissymoo90 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    what aload of ........ curvy and fat arent the same thing ... curvy is the bodys shape fat is ur bodys condition

you can be 10 stone and curvy or 25 stone and curvy
    10 stone and pear shaped or 25 stone and pear shaped =/
This discussion has been closed.