Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

http://www.eshakti.com/default.aspx

Every item of clothing FULLY customizable to your exact measurements.

Have you ordered anything from eshakti? can you comment on their quality? because looking at the website photos of their models and how the dresses fit them is not making me want to bust out the credit card...
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    if this is your only problem in life i think you're doing just fine, don't get so hung up on labels, grow up a little :smile:
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Here you go:

Have you ordered anything from eshakti? can you comment on their quality? because looking at the website photos of their models and how the dresses fit them is not making me want to bust out the credit card...

lmao
    my thoughts exactly.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    I think all the butthurt people on this thread need to get over it.

Terminator-deal-with-it.gif
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    curvy is subjective, you can be fat and curvy, you can be skinny and curvy, you can be plus sized and curvy. it doesn't matter.
    why people get so bothered about what words other people use to describe themselves is something I'll never understand.

I think that is exactly what the OP was saying.. that curvy should not be restircted to people who are plus-sized. I think the rant mainly brings up another euphanism in American culture which needs to be reexamined (it's not really on the top of my list, but could be considered). Why do we bother to label ourselves at all? That's another question altogether.

Well it's not exactly to label in the context OP describes. It's to distinguish and categorize for the purpose of showing what clothing styles or cuts will flatter different figures best. So then, yes in that case the terms are quite useful. The end. Again. AND I MEAN IT THIS TIME! :laugh:
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    curvy is subjective, you can be fat and curvy, you can be skinny and curvy, you can be plus sized and curvy. it doesn't matter.
    why people get so bothered about what words other people use to describe themselves is something I'll never understand.

I think that is exactly what the OP was saying.. that curvy should not be restircted to people who are plus-sized. I think the rant mainly brings up another euphanism in American culture which needs to be reexamined (it's not really on the top of my list, but could be considered). Why do we bother to label ourselves at all? That's another question altogether.

Well it's not exactly to label in the context OP describes. It's to distinguish and categorize for the purpose of showing what clothing styles or cuts will flatter different figures best. So then, yes in that case the terms are quite useful. The end. Again. AND I MEAN IT THIS TIME! :laugh:

that really sounds like a challenge!
    lol
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm not fat. I'm just full of looooooooooooooove....
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Here you go:

I don't know anything about this company but that is some serious kinds of awesome! I wish more companies did that. I looked at their "standard sizing" chart and I think it exemplified my problem (and the problem of a couple people on here). My waist is in the smallest category but my bust and hips are somewhere in between the medium and large sizes.

As to the OP, I hate clothes shopping with an undying passion. Ever since puberty, I have had a problem finding tops and jeans that fit. I can spend all day shopping to end up with one top and no jeans. At my ideal weight and even overweight my proportions cause the problems. Either the bust fits and the waist is too large (in tops) or the hips fit but the pants are sliding down because the waist is too large. I don't even want to talk about dresses. When I first started seeing clothes for "curvy" people in stores I was so excited. I thought that I would finally have something that was easy to pick up and wear. Not the case. I've taken to mostly wearing stretch casuals. I think that my clothing style is defined by my figure in many ways.

I understand the OP's frustration but I think the wording did not really convey the actual idea very well and offended quite a few people.

JMO
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The term "curvy" came into being specifically to be used as a euphemism for chubby, fat, or overweight women. It never mean "hour-glass figure." Another thing it sometimes means is big boobs. But it shouldn't affront you, as an hour-glass-shaped woman that fat women are called curvy. It has nothing to do with you. You are a lovely hour-glass.

I find it funny that women who are called curvy usually have only convex curves and no concave ones.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    *popcorn*

Yup :laugh:
  • EatSleepJog
    Options
    I agree with you completely Op! The term "curvy" has become a synonym for being overweight and obese. You are actually an hourglass shape. I'm surprised that the magazine didn't include one of the most known body0shapes. I'm a pear shape, but I still considered myself curvy because I have curves on the bottom half of my bottom. My waist-to-hip ratio is 23.5-35.5, a 10 inch difference so I do have curves as well, even if I'm not "big". I'm not saying bigger girls can't be curvy, I'm just saying that not all bigger girls are curvy, just like not all skinny girls are curvy either. Curves to me is when you have a 10 inch difference (or so) from your waist to your hips and/or breasts.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Can't find clothes that fit? You act like you're part of some marginalized, downtrodden group of women who clothing manufacturers don't make clothing for. No, newsflash, clothing is not made for most women. It's made to fit some weird ideal "average" woman that doesn't exist. So whether you're curvy or a ruler or a pear or an apple, it's going to be difficult to find clothes that fit, because guess what! When you're manufacturing clothing you have to make it so it fits as many people as possible, but unfortunately that has the result of not fitting MOST of us properly. If it did tailors wouldn't be in business.

Exactly. The reality is that the clothing companies sell clothing that sells the most (that's the way the world of consumerism has always been). I am a size 00 and smaller than an xs. Most stores do not sell clothing that fits me. I buy the smallest size and still need to get the waist taken in because for a small person I still have a curvy behind (oh no, I said curvy). If this brings a person to terror and tears, then I apologize for my callousness. But, really if this is a major problem, just count yourself as blessed and lucky to not have suffered from tragedy and hardship or to have seen others go through it. But, there are plenty of people in this world that don't even have a single pair of shoes and they are starving. I just think it never hurts to put things into perspective, it helps it not to feel like a bigger problem than it needs to be. A problem that can be handled by a tailor.

you have to get the waist taken in.
    ok
    I have to buy a dress 3-4 sizes too big and get EVERYTHING taken in.
    the waist 5-6 sizes, the hips several sizes, the shoulders, the neck, the length usually, the ARMHOLES, the sleeves.

you either don't sew, or have no concept of how clothing is made.
    even a master seamstress has trouble taking in everything but the bust without altering the lines, the style, and the general look of a dress.
    sometimes things like armholes can't be taken in. It's a matter of needing more fabric, not less.

and even if this feat can be performed, you think it's fine that I have to pay hundreds of dollars to alter one or two pieces of clothing?

I don;t ask for things to fit perfectly.
    I'd be very very very happy to take in the waist, like you, if only clothing was made for hourglass figures.

I have to get dresses two to three or more sizes bigger to accommodate my boobs, and I'm not complaining at all. It is what it is. I buy stretchy material dresses and I move the hell on. I'm used to it, not angry about it. Unfortunately, the average bra size in America is still only 36 C and that's up since a decade ago from a B cup due to breast augmentation being on the rise. No matter what we busty girls do, we are not the median, we are not the average, we are unique and special snowflakes and that's that. I'm a 34F... when Victoria's Secret started selling DDD's I went bonkers because a 36 DDD would actually look nice on me and I could finally buy in Vickies! Amazing day. Rejoice in your tits, or have them down sized, and accept that we're not the norm and clothes companies are looking to make a profit and a niche market isn't what the bigger conglomerates are catering too. (Above D is less than 1% of the female population, last I looked.)
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I once put on an online dating profile that I was "Monroe-esque". One guy I met said, "I was expecting you to be fat."

I stabbed him in the eyeball with an ice pick.

Then I thought...you know...she did put on some weight in her later years. Then I felt bad.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    http://www.pinupgirlclothing.com/veronica-dress-navy.html

See above for an actual hourglass figure. A lot of women claiming to have one, don't... Yet no one is harping on them for claiming it. Well, that I've seen anyway.
  • Jooliebean
    Jooliebean Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Was this really worth it's own post? Okay, you're curvy and those fat girls should be called fat because your body type is better and how dare they...:yawn:

get over it.

I like You. :)
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle. A fat woman calling herself curvy does not make you any less curvy.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Warning: This is a rant, if you don't want to read it--move on.

So this past weekend I was skimming through a magazine (a fashion one, I don't remember the name). Anyways, they had a section showing how every body type could wear a certain jacket, and which one was best for each. The included body types were: "petite", "tall", "pear", "athletic", and "curvy". The "petite" woman was short, but proportional. The "tall" was the same, but tall. The "pear" shaped was exactly that, small on top and larger on the bottom.The "athletic" body was essentially a rectangular body shape. The "curvy" was a plus sized woman (size 18 or 20 ish).

I was immediately pissed. I don't understand why "curvy" has come to replace the term "plus sized". I am NOT plus sized, I am curvy. My measurements are 37-27-38. None of the body types they included were accurate to my body type, and I feel like this is common in magazines. Why can't we just call plus sized plus sized?

"Curvy" is meant to be an hourglass figure, and I hate that the word has been taken over by those who are plus sized and merely want to avoid the term "plus sized". It's stupid. I'm NOT SAYING that women that are plus sized can't be hourglass shapes. That happens a lot!! But, I don't know...it just bothers me when it's implied that curvy means fat.

Ugh.

/rant.

Thank god someone said this. I hate when extremely obese women go on and on about how they love their curves. I'm sorry, but that is excess body fat, not curves. You maybe curvy under there, and I am not trying to fat shame anyone, but they are not the same thing. I have a 10 inch difference in my waist compared to my chest and hips. Granted, there are more inches there than I would like to be, but it is still an hour glass shape. Yet because curvy has become a term for plus sized, I get very upset now if someone calls me curvy. Christina Hendricks is curvy, Sofia Vergara is curvy- neither of them are plus sized. From now on, I would like to be referred to as a "Christina Hendricks"
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    The term "curvy" came into being specifically to be used as a euphemism for chubby, fat, or overweight women. It never mean "hour-glass figure." Another thing it sometimes means is big boobs. But it shouldn't affront you, as an hour-glass-shaped woman that fat women are called curvy. It has nothing to do with you. You are a lovely hour-glass.

I find it funny that women who are called curvy usually have only convex curves and no concave ones.

Can we just start breaking the curvy category into "Convex" or "Concave"?
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options

I was immediately pissed. I don't understand why "curvy" has come to replace the term "plus sized". I am NOT plus sized, I am curvy. My measurements are 37-27-38. None of the body types they included were accurate to my body type, and I feel like this is common in magazines. Why can't we just call plus sized plus sized?

You are not plus-sized. You are not obese. These terms are not offensive to you because you are fortunate enough not to be in those categories. However, many including myself...are. Curvy is just a polite way of calling someone overweight or plus-sized. It sounds better and it's not as rude. Be lucky you don't have to suffer a very unforgiving and sometime cruel society.

ok, i am fat/plus sized (profile pic is my goal) and i get just as annoyed as the OP at 'curvy' being used. why do we need a 'polite' term for fat? do you not understand that the more fat people use 'curvy' to try and pretend we aren't what we obviously are, the more we ridicule ourselves!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    It comes down to this. Curvy is for all sizes.. You can be petite and still have curves. Tall with curves, short with curves.. the list goes on. I am what is considered obese right now even after loosing almost 20 pounds. And I am curvy. I have lost up to 100 pounds at one point and I was still curvy. My curves are a body shape not a weight definition. And since I did not see the article I can not say if the model was curvy or plus sized or both. But I can say that by you generalizing that all plus sized people are not curvy but instead just fat that you are being as closed minded as the magazine editors/writers are you not?? Not trying to bash you just trying to get you to see it from another point. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.