Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options
Warning: This is a rant, if you don't want to read it--move on.

So this past weekend I was skimming through a magazine (a fashion one, I don't remember the name). Anyways, they had a section showing how every body type could wear a certain jacket, and which one was best for each. The included body types were: "petite", "tall", "pear", "athletic", and "curvy". The "petite" woman was short, but proportional. The "tall" was the same, but tall. The "pear" shaped was exactly that, small on top and larger on the bottom.The "athletic" body was essentially a rectangular body shape. The "curvy" was a plus sized woman (size 18 or 20 ish).

I was immediately pissed. I don't understand why "curvy" has come to replace the term "plus sized". I am NOT plus sized, I am curvy. My measurements are 37-27-38. None of the body types they included were accurate to my body type, and I feel like this is common in magazines. Why can't we just call plus sized plus sized?

"Curvy" is meant to be an hourglass figure, and I hate that the word has been taken over by those who are plus sized and merely want to avoid the term "plus sized". It's stupid. I'm NOT SAYING that women that are plus sized can't be hourglass shapes. That happens a lot!! But, I don't know...it just bothers me when it's implied that curvy means fat.

Ugh.

/rant.

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Was this really worth it's own post? Okay, you're curvy and those fat girls should be called fat because your body type is better and how dare they...:yawn:

get over it.

curvy is subjective, you can be fat and curvy, you can be skinny and curvy, you can be plus sized and curvy. it doesn't matter.
    why people get so bothered about what words other people use to describe themselves is something I'll never understand.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    just thought I'd add- it's not just you, since I've been on this site I've seen the same complaint over and over. Realize that it bothers you because of an insecurity that you have somewhere and move on, that's all I'm saying.

there's absolutely no logical reason to be upset about how someone else considers their own body. A girl wearing a size 20 doesn't need to call her self plus-sized if she feels curvy to suit you. Get what I'm saying?
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    " I am NOT plus sized" okay..... why do you feel the need to emphasize that your NOT plus size? It must be because you are so insecure about your size that you must demean those who are shaped larger than you...

Seriously, I don't get offended when skinny girls call themselves "curvy." Even though stick figures don't have curves. If some one wants to call themselves super woman, I don't care!
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I get what you're saying. But I think this rant could be better directed towards the lack of an hour-glass figure in magazines.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    just thought I'd add- it's not just you, since I've been on this site I've seen the same complaint over and over. Realize that it bothers you because of an insecurity that you have somewhere and move on, that's all I'm saying.

there's absolutely no logical reason to be upset about how someone else considers their own body. A girl wearing a size 20 doesn't need to call her self plus-sized if she feels curvy to suit you. Get what I'm saying?

2053966_o.gif
  • melly0224
    melly0224 Posts: 15
    Options
    No wonder I never post in the forums. Reading this just wasted 2mins of my life I will never get back..........
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Was the model plus sized with an hour glass frame? If so, there is no reason the same style in a smaller size wouldn't work on someone like you.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize you were the person that was responsible for defining words, it's so nice to mean you. :noway:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you didn't post your rant anywhere that "plus-sized" people could read it! That could be interpreted as insensitive.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No wonder I never post in the forums. Reading this just wasted 2mins of my life I will never get back..........

^^ THIS
  • jryan83
    jryan83 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I was immediately pissed. I don't understand why "curvy" has come to replace the term "plus sized". I am NOT plus sized, I am curvy. My measurements are 37-27-38. None of the body types they included were accurate to my body type, and I feel like this is common in magazines. Why can't we just call plus sized plus sized?

You are not plus-sized. You are not obese. These terms are not offensive to you because you are fortunate enough not to be in those categories. However, many including myself...are. Curvy is just a polite way of calling someone overweight or plus-sized. It sounds better and it's not as rude. Be lucky you don't have to suffer a very unforgiving and sometime cruel society.
  • Emma_Problema
    Emma_Problema Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I adore you. :love: :love: :love:
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    THICK used to mean curvy, but the word was re-purposed to be a nice way of saying fat. It's just another one of those little examples of definition creep.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Plus size women have curves therefore they are curvy. Lets see how you feel someday when you get pregnant and your husband calls you fat instead of curvy. That little figure is not a permanent thing sweetheart and someday you will prefer not to be called a whale.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    f09510a4-2801-47bc-a160-6557c8de0507_zps9f7fdc4a.jpg

Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

Also, ignore the dirty mirror.

Don't bash because you're insecure with yourself.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    And the sad part about this post is that it's going to get upwards of 100+ B*tchy responses while people with actual questions and concerns on the boards get ignored. Off to go help someone ....
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    And the sad part about this post is that it's going to get upwards of 100+ B*tchy responses while people with actual questions and concerns on the boards get ignored. Off to go help someone ....

You're right! I'll just let people bash all the body types they want because someone elsewhere is urgently waiting for me to tell them if their tea counts as water or not! Gotta go guys!!
  • ohyousillygirl
    ohyousillygirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    You’re getting a lot of flak, but there is a difference between just being big and being curvy.

To me, curvy should be used to describe a certain shape and size doesn’t really matter.
    Big bust/ hips/ butt with a smaller waist (the hourglass look)

You can be “plus sized” and be curvy but not all plus sized people are curvy. Not all thin people are curvy.
    It should be thought of in the same way people think of pear shaped or apple shaped.

Having said that the word is so synonymous with just being big now that it really doesn’t even matter, it’s basically gone through a change in meaning.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

You're right! I'll just let people bash all the body types they want because someone elsewhere is urgently waiting for me to tell them if their tea counts as water or not! Gotta go guys!!

Did you read her post? This girl isn't going to get anything from your response. She's trying to get attention and you're giving it to her. Want to DO something? Make your own post about celebrating body diversity. Be a positive force. Don't feed this troll.
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options
    Was this really worth it's own post? Okay, you're curvy and those fat girls should be called fat because your body type is better and how dare they...:yawn:

get over it.

curvy is subjective, you can be fat and curvy, you can be skinny and curvy, you can be plus sized and curvy. it doesn't matter.
    why people get so bothered about what words other people use to describe themselves is something I'll never understand.

Amen
This discussion has been closed.