Curvy Does Not Mean Plus Sized!

Options

Replies

• nrichards18
    Options
    You could just stop reading crap magazines. That entire line of 'advice' column is about making you feel like you like crap so you buy stuff to stop feeling like crap.

Word.
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options
    *popcorn*

^^^ I'll join you!!! Bahaha. Pass the salt and butter though, need to feed my curves. :laugh:

Bahahahhah love this
  • LivDixon
    LivDixon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Was this really worth it's own post? Okay, you're curvy and those fat girls should be called fat because your body type is better and how dare they...:yawn:

get over it.

curvy is subjective, you can be fat and curvy, you can be skinny and curvy, you can be plus sized and curvy. it doesn't matter.
    why people get so bothered about what words other people use to describe themselves is something I'll never understand.

More or less this.
    Also, I've seen a bewildering array of women with no rounded lines on their entire body talk about how "curvy" they think they are.

I'm plus sized and this bugs me from the opposite direction. "Curvy" isn't a body type you can dress for universally- One of the reasons models are super thin and clothing is cut for thin women is because the thinner you get generally the less obvious the differences between body types are and the thicker you get the more variance in measurements you get- a pear shaped size 16 jeans and an apple shaped size 16 are going to look completely different and fitting both into the exact same dress will have unpredictable results. If you are a big girl and a pear shaped, you'd do better looking at the pear shaped advice, and if you're naturally very thin and apple shaped, you're going to have more in common with naturally thick apple shaped gals clothingwise than you will with naturally thin hourglass ladies.

Just write a magazine article about the basic body types- Apple, Pear, Hourglass, and inverted triangle and let the rest take care of itself. There is no universal fat girl manual that's going to magically make all fat girls look good.

Exactly this. I am an hourglass shape. At my lowest and highest weights, I am still an hourglass shape. The number on the tag may go up or down, but the overall cut, shape, and style of my clothing doesn't change.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Aww... OP! I'm so sorry this happened to you! You poor thing. How sad to have your feelings hurt.
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    I guess I can be glad I'm proportionally fat....fat all over...always have been. Large body frame and what not but can I not consider myself curvy because I guess technically there is a curve where my hips meet my waist and then up to my bust? And if we are going to throw measurements out there:

hips:50 inches
    waist: 40 inches
    bust: 47 inches

but I am also a size 22...so I am obviously plus sized. But is that considered "curvy" enough for you? Did you maybe think that every person of every size of every weight have their own shape? Just because I'm plus sized doesn't categorize me as just "fat" I have a shape too. Just like someone else that wears a size 22 might be pear shaped or apple or whatever those stupid teenage body dysmorphic magazines try and pass off.....

g1UFM9e.jpg

shockingly similar...

BOOM.

Stop reading those stupid magazines. It's all fake anyway.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness you didn't post your rant anywhere that "plus-sized" people could read it! That could be interpreted as insensitive.

Indeed. The plethora of posts that shame fat people on a site where we all or were fat astounds me.
  • CrystalWalks
    CrystalWalks Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sounds too me like someone's insecure..... I don't give a flip if someone thin or heavy calls themselves curvy... even with your measurements some one out there will still think your "fat" & not "curvy"... so point being just be happy with who you are and if your not happy with your body weight then work on becoming a healthier you.. and stop looking for a word or words that should best describe a particular group bc you think it should... just because you want the title "curvy" to be meant for you or your measurement group... doesn't mean it should.... the title belongs to whom ever wants to claim it and its not a dam thing you can do about it......
  • kristy_n0831
    kristy_n0831 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    " I am NOT plus sized" okay..... why do you feel the need to emphasize that your NOT plus size? It must be because you are so insecure about your size that you must demean those who are shaped larger than you...

Seriously, I don't get offended when skinny girls call themselves "curvy." Even though stick figures don't have curves. If some one wants to call themselves super woman, I don't care!

^ This.
  • artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

Are you like an 18 in Hollister jeans, because you look amazing! I am now completely jealous. I'm a 14 and I don't look that small! Rock those curves.

Also, I think the real problem that the OP has is just that there was not an "hour glass" option. No one in the article was calling you fat OP, but there are actually very strict measurement/proportion rules to be considered a true "hourglass" so calling it curvy just covers more bases. Like someone said, just take that picture and shrink it a few sizes and you get the idea. But they can't call a model just "plus-size" if what they meant was larger on top, smaller in the waist, larger on bottom, because not all plus sized people fit that description. They just went with the easiest, least offensive way to get the idea across.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Maybe the plus-size woman they featured actually did have a curvy body type, and you're the one who implied that curvy really means fat. Maybe they were trying to be more inclusive by picturing a larger sized body along with the average and slim bodies, and the fact that you share a descriptive word with a larger woman offended you. Also, "plus size" sometimes means size 10 and up. There's a pretty wide variety of body types and sizes within that spectrum. Even fat people have body types!
    Not sure what kind of help you were hoping to get on the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" message board. The displeasure you experience after encountering other people's use of adjectives is probably an issue only you can resolve.
    As far as I'm concerned, the way a woman feels about her body is much more important than the word she uses to describe it.
  • fauxfoe
    fauxfoe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The term is actually 'semantic shift'.

EDIT: Ooops... I see now that I ought to have used the 'quote' button. Someone said that the change in meaning of words was 'definition creep'. It's 'semantic shift'.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Removed my reply, didn't realise it had become one of these threads.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Curvy is voluptuous. I'm sure it can be plus sized too, depending on the body shape. I would consider myself curvy, if a plus sized woman does the same I wont be offended.

tumblr_mc56yxgm0E1r7ksqyo1_500.gif
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    "Curvy" is a term that denotes proportion, not strict size. A size 2 can be curvy. A size 22 can be curvy. Both of those sizes can also be straight as a board. Hip-waist ratio is a better indication of "curvy" versus "fat."

So basically, get over it.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The term is actually 'semantic shift'.

EDIT: Ooops... I see now that I ought to have used the 'quote' button. Someone said that the change in meaning of words was 'definition creep'. It's 'semantic shift'.

You got it right. Semantic shift or semantic change it is.

Label or describe your body as you like. :)
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yet another fine example of people being unduly concerned with what others say and do. Sad.
  • jeslaughter
    jeslaughter Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Was the model plus sized with an hour glass frame? If so, there is no reason the same style in a smaller size wouldn't work on someone like you.

Yeah!!
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    f09510a4-2801-47bc-a160-6557c8de0507_zps9f7fdc4a.jpg

Am I curvy or fat, OP?

I'm a size 18.

Also, ignore the dirty mirror.

Don't bash because you're insecure with yourself.

^^^^Love this!!!!

Me too! And PS you look amazing! :smile:
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    *popcorn*

^^^ I'll join you!!! Bahaha. Pass the salt and butter though, need to feed my curves. :laugh:

Bahahahhah love this

lol, I'll get the super movie sized one - this thread is climbing
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people in this thread need to go back and read the first post - many of the responses are far more *****y and personal that the OP was ("sorry you are so insecure darlin", "get over it" "way to insult every one here" etc).

I personally didn't see much wrong with the OP, the point she was making is one that many other people have made and agreed with, I didn't see the OP judging others just saying that it personally annoys her that the word curvy HAS seemed to change in meaning in recent years - she even said herself what many of you seem to be sarcastically pointing out - that a woman of any size CAN be curvy but the one in this magazine wasn't.

Seriously, read it a few times before getting annoyed and firing off a response that makes no sense.
This discussion has been closed.