Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• hulahooper17
    Options
    I see how soda is addicting, I used to love my daily root beer. But it just puts a dent in your calories with no nutritional benefit. Diet soda isn't that different from regular soda, it's just chemical sugars such as aspartame. Now this doesn't have an immediate effect on your health, but artificial sugar is around 1000 times sweeter than real sugar. So when you consume a lot of artificial sugar, your taste buds are less sensitive to sweetness and crave more sugary stuff to satisfy it.
  • fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    I just want to say right off the bat that I LOVE my diet pepsi. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I am addicted to it completely. Up until I read Jillian Michaels new Slim for Life book and also Skinny B!tch by I forget who I was that person saying that I was fine with the soda and no one could tell me otherwise.

Here is what I know now. People who consistently drink diet soda and coffee and tea things like that your body will learn to get water from these substances to get whatever water it might need. BUT sometimes when you give your body diet soda which contains Aspartame you are telling your mouth you are drinking something sweet and then your mind thinks sweet so your body expects sugar, when it doesn't get that sugar it can sometimes stall your weight loss.

Also from what I read in the book Skinny B!tch these "artificial sweeteners" actually can convert into things like arsenic and other toxic chemicals in your body.

Even with all this information I am still drinking my Diet Pepsi because like I said I am addicted. BUT I did buy this new machine called a SodaStream, its an all natural soda making machine. It is changing my life. You can buy all natural diet flavors and they contain no Aspartame. There are numerous flavors including diet coke. coke zero, sprite zero, diet dr. pepper, and some sparkling water flavors, and even some crystal light flavors too.

Hope this helps.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should use every opportunity of eating and drinking to give you nutrition. Everyone on here is right, a can a day won't kill you, and won't hinder your weight loss. But is weight loss is your only goal? Is death the only avoidance?

If you are doing this for health, then my recommendation would be to cut back slowly to the point your either not having it all or rarely having it. Aspartame is fine for some people. Some people experience a lot of side effects. You might be suffering from side effects that you aren't aware of. Trying going without for awhile and take note of how you feel. You might be surprised. Important to note at first you may not feel better because your body may have to adjust or even go through withdrawals. After the first week or two I bet you'll feel better without it. What do you have to lose by trying it?
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I get the whole 'eat and drink for nutrition' thing. But I was fat.. I loved food, real bad food. I still love it (some of it).

I drink diet pop.. and probably a lot more than I should. Though, I have lost over 100 lbs and drank it the whole time. I don't see me giving it up anytime soon.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

if you're losing weight i'd say stay away, water or juice is going to be better for you though one can isn't going to kill you, i'd say it's down to personal preferance, if it were me i'd use a drinking opportunity to get vitamins in me, orange juice is going to give you vitamin C a can of coke is going to give you rank sweeteners and caffine, failing that water will hydrate you better

Juices will slow your weight loss. Basically concentrated sugar straight into your bloodstream. Orange juice is what we give diabetics with low blood sugar to prevent them from going into a coma...if you want Vitamin C, eat an orange...

that's a ridiculous statement lol... i don't know what orange juice you use to save diabetics but if you buy a decent orange juice it's not going to turn you hyperglycemic.... or stop you losing weight

Everything is ok in moderation. Orange juice is concentrated sugar.

1 cup of orange juice has 30 grams of carbohydrates, all of which are sugar. An orange (medium) has 15 grams of carbs and 3 grams of fiber, giving it 12 grams of sugar.

If it fits into your macros, go for it. I'm not drinking my calories though.

Also, regarding what "kind" of orange juice we use to "save" diabetics, its the same one you drink. SMDH :noway:

shaking your head... well yes there are "kinds" of orange juice: freshly squeezed, from concentrate, added sugar, no added sugar, cordial.

and you said it stops diabetics going into a coma which i'd consider "saving"... making "comments" like "this" doesn't make you "smart" or make your "point" any more valid especially using them incorrectly.

as for the sugar content, fructose is the lowest glycemic index of all sugars, given that you'd advocate drinking diet soda which an enormous amount of health professionals accorss the globe are saying cause more obesity than they prevent, rather than drinking orange juice i think i'll leave it there...

eating an orange isn't the same as having a glass of orange juice, the thread is about drinking not eating?

were you shaking your head trying to come up with something other than mocking what i say? it didn't work did it... :/
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation - small amount of diet soft drink does not seem a problem to me.

I drink a few glasses of diet coke a week since I started on MFP - on the occasions when I previously drank ordinary soft drink or an alcoholic drink (which I now do with diet coke as the mixer) have not noticed any cravings or any other different things.

to the poster who mentioned 'full fat drinks', we use this term in Australia too - for milk, iced coffee etc where one can get full fat or reduced fat versions

to the poster who said you should use every opportunity of eating and drinking to give yourself nutrition - I disagree.
    Yes, your overall dietary intake should be nutritious and healthy - but nothing wrong with haveing food for other reasons - I know chocolate isnt nutritious - but I like it and I eat it in small quantities purely because I enjoy it
  • jay670120
    Options
    I just know how un natural Diet coke is ... everything is man made. No it doesnt have any calories but are you doing this weight loss thing cos you want to loose weight for your health ?? If yes then strip it out. I was a total Diet coke addict a 2 litre bottle would go in our house a day and that was mostly for me.....now i drink water or red bush tea and totally over Diet coke...it is addictive x
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with drinking diet drinks.

They don't raise blood sugar/glucose/insulin levels and they cannot make you put on weight.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2182973

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1946186

The only thing against is personal preference against the taste, which is like any food or drink. And sure if they give you headaches, avoid, but that is like any food/drink people have an intolerance against and is not unique to diet drinks.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    but a session of hynotherapy or two later and I now see them as over salty, very little nutritional value, and high carb, high fat for what they are, so I've cut them out of my diet and honestly don't miss them.

very little nutritional value, but are high in carbs and fats? that doesn't make any sense.
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    I've unintentionally given up diet fizzy drinks recently (because It's expensive and I forget to buy them) And the last two days I've had a lingering headache. I read up on line about something to do with it being caffeine withdrawal, but I drink a gallon of coffee! I wonder what it is in it that causes this........
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    I've unintentionally given up diet fizzy drinks recently (because It's expensive and I forget to buy them) And the last two days I've had a lingering headache. I read up on line about something to do with it being caffeine withdrawal, but I drink a gallon of coffee! I wonder what it is in it that causes this........

Diet drinks are sweetened by proteins. You have 25x more of the same protein in a piece of chicken. It is not the diet drink causing the headache.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Anyways, diet sodas rock....
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    *popcorn*

havent seen a diet coke thread in a while
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    *popcorn*

havent seen a diet coke thread in a while

Sit back and enjoy :laugh:
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    but a session of hynotherapy or two later and I now see them as over salty, very little nutritional value, and high carb, high fat for what they are, so I've cut them out of my diet and honestly don't miss them.

very little nutritional value, but are high in carbs and fats? that doesn't make any sense.

Sorry yes, didn't put that right. I meant that the overall nutritional value was of little use to me being carbs, easily converted to sugar, fat, and excessive salt, and I was eating far too many carbs as it was.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Let's all play nice. Honestly, we know the search function is there, but even I had to really look for it the first time I wanted to use it.

OP, no, Diet Coke should not be part of your day if you want to be healthy and lose weight. It contains artificial sweeteners that will hurt your metabolism.

If you can't let go of the bubbly, get yourself some Perrier or other brand of plain, non-sweetened carbonated water and add a tablespoon of 100% juice in the flavor of your choosing.

If you can't let go of the caffeine, go for a cup of coffee sweetened with a tablespoon of coconut milk and a packet of stevia. This even tastes good on ice if you want it cold.

Notes: Go organic on the juice and the coffee if you can. For example if you chose apple juice, that's a heavily pesticide-laden crop. So is coffee. Pesticides sprayed on crops eventually go into our bodies and wreak havoc on our metabolism as well.
  • apittmanrn
    apittmanrn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Does someone have any popcorn? I'm hungry!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I just want to say right off the bat that I LOVE my diet pepsi. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I am addicted to it completely. Up until I read Jillian Michaels new Slim for Life book and also Skinny B!tch by I forget who I was that person saying that I was fine with the soda and no one could tell me otherwise.

Here is what I know now. People who consistently drink diet soda and coffee and tea things like that your body will learn to get water from these substances to get whatever water it might need. BUT sometimes when you give your body diet soda which contains Aspartame you are telling your mouth you are drinking something sweet and then your mind thinks sweet so your body expects sugar, when it doesn't get that sugar it can sometimes stall your weight loss.

Also from what I read in the book Skinny B!tch these "artificial sweeteners" actually can convert into things like arsenic and other toxic chemicals in your body.

Even with all this information I am still drinking my Diet Pepsi because like I said I am addicted. BUT I did buy this new machine called a SodaStream, its an all natural soda making machine. It is changing my life. You can buy all natural diet flavors and they contain no Aspartame. There are numerous flavors including diet coke. coke zero, sprite zero, diet dr. pepper, and some sparkling water flavors, and even some crystal light flavors too.

Hope this helps.
    You'd be better off actually reading peer reviewed clinical studies instead of just "observances" from books like that. Actual science is important.
    I'm sure one of the books probably mentioned the formation of formaldehyde from aspartame. What they won't tell you is that this same process happens after eating fruit. Or how it deteriorates tooth enamel. So does not brushing after eating anything with sugar or acid (like fruit).
    A can a day hasn't shown that it can actually be detrimental. There are correlations, but they aren't causations.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    given that you'd advocate drinking diet soda which an enormous amount of health professionals accorss the globe are saying cause more obesity than they prevent
    They aren't say it "causes" obesity. They are "linking", "correlating" and "associating" it with obesity. A friend of mine here shows this graph of the link, correlation, and association of global warming and the increase of pirates.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • britkip
    britkip Posts: 49
    Options
    I think one can a day is fine. Especially if your not loading up on other junk. Me myself I don't drink soda I swore off it 3 years ago and it has done wonders for my energy. But I understand the need for it all the girls at my work drink it and have trouble stopping. I would just rather waste my calories on eating a cookie or other pastry's rather than drinking my calories.