Diet Coke

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    OP, no, Diet Coke should not be part of your day if you want to be healthy and lose weight. It contains artificial sweeteners that will hurt your metabolism.
    Really? Please explain how it hurts metabolism.
    Pesticides sprayed on crops eventually go into our bodies and wreak havoc on our metabolism as well.
    Also like to see peer reviewed clinical study (not an article, blog or topic from a "natural" newsletter) stating this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

OP, no, Diet Coke should not be part of your day if you want to be healthy and lose weight. It contains artificial sweeteners that will hurt your metabolism.

sigh

*more popcorn*
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    For those that live in the UK: It's such a sunny day, there is nothing quite like an ice cold can of diet coke. But it HAS to be in the form of a can.... am I right? :D
  • jakkidoodles
    Options
    I've unintentionally given up diet fizzy drinks recently (because It's expensive and I forget to buy them) And the last two days I've had a lingering headache. I read up on line about something to do with it being caffeine withdrawal, but I drink a gallon of coffee! I wonder what it is in it that causes this........

Diet drinks are sweetened by proteins. You have 25x more of the same protein in a piece of chicken. It is not the diet drink causing the headache.

Seems coincidental to me, but perhaps that's exactly what it is.... I always find that when I switch to just water it goes right through me so it could possibly be dehydration I guess.... Maybe I need to eat bread or something to keep it in me longer...
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Lets just say that embalmers don't need to put as much embalming fluid in dead bodies now a days because the diet sodas people drink save them the time. One a day may seem like no big deal, but over time it does! You can take a small amount of meth a day and it won't kill you, but from taking it for over a long amount of time will get ya. Just saying. You don't need it. Just cut it out. Drink tea or coffee if you need the caffeine.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Lets just say that embalmers don't need to put as much embalming fluid in dead bodies now a days because the diet sodas people drink save them the time. One a day may seem like no big deal, but over time it does! You can take a small amount of meth a day and it won't kill you, but from taking it for over a long amount of time will get ya. Just saying. You don't need it. Just cut it out. Drink tea or coffee if you need the caffeine.

Yeah yeah - rubbish.

Source of this dire bile?
  • rosikinslovesyou
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with diet coke.

Sometimes it's a nice 'sugary' treat when everyone else is stuffing their faces with chocolate and things that aren't good for you (I get jealous).

However I DO find it makes me crave sugar more, makes me drowsy and moody and makes me colder (I can't quite explain this).

Theres been times I've had to skip the gym after drinking the stuff because I just don't have the energy.

Aspartame is REALLY bad for you, it's addictive and like I said I find it hinders my exercise and makes me depressed.

I'd be hypocritical to say cut it out completely though, because I still end up drinking at least one bottle a week (and living to regret it).
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Yeah yeah - rubbish.

http://dishmag.com/issue143/health/14434/the-secret-dangers-of-diet-soda/

http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxification-diet/aspartame.htm

http://www.airsystemsmedical.com/deadly-diet-soda.html

One component of aspartme is methyl alcohol. When digested in the body this turns to formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is embalming fluid! Over time it preserves your body. It's poisonous and when ingested in large quantities, you can get aspartme poisoning.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to all those telling you that it's terrible for you, gonna give you cancer, etc etc.

As long as you aren't drinking a 12 pk a day you are fine. The only reason to cut it out is if you want to cut out caffiene or you have an issue with sweeteners. Nothing wrong with drinking diet pop though.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

Yeah yeah - rubbish.

One component of aspartme is methyl alcohol. When digested in the body this turns to formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is embalming fluid! Over time it preserves your body. It's poisonous and when ingested in large quantities, you can get aspartme poisoning.

fruit produces far more formic acid then aspartame.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Is it as bad for me as I think it is?

Would have one can a day at lunchtime, but is it worth stripping it out if I'm on this diet/exercise thing properly.

Have looked it up, but the net is full of contradictions!

Thanks.

Marc.

I quit all soda about 3 years ago, cold turkey. I was a full on soda addict though, it was my main drink of choice. I would plow through a 12 pack a day. The effects I had from quitting soda were significant. So personally I would find a different item to replace the soda with, like tea (my drink of choice now). I know, some people say 'I will never stop drinking soda'. I don't think the realize how much they sound like an addict when they say that.

Look at how many chemicals and such are in even one can of soda. If you really value what you do to your body than you would not even question dropping the soda. Detoxing from soda did suck, I am not going to lie. I feel so much better since getting off teh stuff though. No headaches or fatigue anymore.

Try to go without it for a few weeks and see what happens. You may find that you do not even miss it.
  • ElizabethKG1983
    ElizabethKG1983 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I used to be a total diet coke addict. I also liked sugar free red bulls. I got off of both and never crave them and I feel much healthier. Personally I think it is better to splurge on a regular coke instead of diet because the chemicals in diet are so unhealthy. I also believe in everything in moderation, so I don't think a diet coke once in awhile is going to be horrible.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Lack of actual knowledge of formaldehyde in the environment isn't making you seem smarter here. Formaldehyde is formed from fruit intake too..................or didn't you know that?
    And diet soda, unlike meth, isn't toxic. Thanks for playing though.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Lol, figured it was propaganda magazines.:laugh: Learn more about actual chemistry first.

IDEA Fitness member
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Let's all play nice. Honestly, we know the search function is there, but even I had to really look for it the first time I wanted to use it.

Pesticides sprayed on crops eventually go into our bodies and wreak havoc on our metabolism as well.

false ...I really don't know where people get their "information" from...
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Talked to my doc about the diet pops, and he went into a tizy about North America addiction to it, and the SINGLE most common cause of obesity.

Glad I did.

I'm curious as to why a doctor would think a zero calorie drink would be the most common cause of obesity. Makes absolutely no sense.

I drink diet pops frequently... I am not fat because of them... I am fat because of the food choices I make.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it to you?

I used to drink 7-8 liters a day or more...I gave it up entirely, anything carbonated. No soda, no spritzer, no beer, etc.

But that's 'cause I knew I couldn't have "just one." I loved it to much.

-BootJockey
  • anon189
    anon189 Posts: 42
    Options
    I drink it every day. I lovvvveeee it and I don't want to give it up. I don't believe in the myth that it makes you eat more. In fact I've read tons of articles that say just the opposite. And when I was my skinniest and borderline underweight I drank it like it was going out of style (pretty much exclusively, with little to no water). Now I drink TONS of water and have cut way back on diet coke, but I have zero desire to drop it completely. I just <3 it way too much.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    *Popcorn*...and a Diet coke.....I am entertained indeed.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    All I know is that I cut it out completely....none....and my migraines have decreased by 90%. Just one a month instead of one every 2 days. It is the only major change I have made, still drink coffee, so I think they are linked. My migraines were becoming dibilitating.....they were awful. No Diet Coke = no migraines for me. I have had a 2 liter sitting in my pantry for a month. In the past, it would have lasted a day. Just my 2 cents.....

My headaches weren't severe usually, but this was also the case for me. I've had 2 diet cokes in the past two months, and far fewer headaches/migraines. So that's a perk to cutting it. But I do crave carbonation occasionally, so I've taken to drinking Sparkling Ice.