At what point does weight become unattractive?

Options

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    lf...you are overweight..you may eat healthy and exercise..but you are not healthy until you manage to reach your desired normal body weight and remain there..then you will be healthy..

:huh: Really? Because I'm still considerably overweight and my doctor (the one with an actual medical degree) told me at my last appointment when I was *****ing about not having lost any weight for months and months that my blood pressure was great, my cholesterol numbers were "gorgeous" and that I was very healthy, which was what we were going for. She also said that if I wanted to lose more weight, that was fine, but not to stress so much about it and just keep doing what I've been doing. So if my doctor says my overweight *kitten* is healthy, I'm inclined to believe her over some random person on the internet. :bigsmile:

As for the OP, I'm gonna have to agree with others and say there's no set answer. I've seen posts in success stories of people who have lost a considerable amount of weight (50+ lbs) and are more attractive after they lost the weight, people who are LESS attractive after they lost the weight and people who were just as attractive before as they were after.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    There is no size that makes someone unattractive. Ugly is on the inside.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the height and proportions of the person and the preferences of the beholder.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    This thread will be locked very soon with absolutely no doubt. Just thought I'd chuck that in there lol
  • Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    There is no size that makes someone unattractive. Ugly is on the inside.

Amen, Sis. :wink:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the way I look when I'm above 150 pounds. I don't care what anyone else thinks lol. My "perfect" weight range is between 130-135.
  • Beyond_Value
    Beyond_Value Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

Healthy according to the doctor's is what should be a focus.

Eat well and excercise.

Some women who are big look great in their appearance and clothes and I it all depends.
  • angelh1908
    angelh1908 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For me, at 5'1, being a size 8-10 means I'm at my absolute limit for curvy-sexy. And that would be unattractive in a swimsuit. I don't know about other women, though.

For me, a man's weight is unattractive when he's soft and doughy all over, and/or has breasts.
    I'm glad someone mentioned a man and what's unattractive to them about a man. So far, this topic has been limited to women. I believe it's good to know that this "attractiveness" or the lack thereof goes both ways.

Granted we are ALL on MFP because we want to see a better us, however, we also ALL have something that initially attracts us or turns us off about a person of the opposite sex. For me, a man is unattractive when his butt is bigger than mine! I don't go for obese men at all (trying not to offend anyone) and I'm not instantly attracted to an overweight man, however, if the overweight man has the right amount of confidence with it, then we could work (think G. Garvin at his heaviest, LOVED IT!, He was/is SO sexy).

I love that a woman who wants to lose 41lbs (your goal not my judgement) doesn't like big guys but would settle for one LOL. Stay classy ladies.

Two things: 41 pounds is MY goal, however, as I previously stated my weight is well proportioned so I still have a curvy figure and am found attractive by plenty of guys. Personally, I don't like my size because I'm too short to carry the weight at 5'4, but men seem to love it. I did not say that I don't like "big" men, I said I don't like men whose butt is bigger than mine. And I don't like obese (sloppy fat; tried not to use that term, but since you obviously missed what I was saying before, here it is) men, that's my preference because I am not, nor have I ever been sloppy fat, nor do I ever plan to be. You also conveniently left off the part of my post that said I don't like "skinny" men either.....

Congrats on your 140 pound weight loss! Perhaps you may still be a little too sensitive to read these types of posts. I have never and wouldn't ever degrade or debase anyone openly or privately based on their looks, race, socio-economic status, etc, but I AM entitled to an opion of what I like and don't like, as is everyone else in the world. And yes, I plan to stay classy as always. No comments to the guys who made it clear what they like I see.
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - my husband of 23 years still loves me - I went from size 14 in 1986 to a 2-4 now over the years. I have beome thinner and crankier
  • ewestsca
    ewestsca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    At the point where the person feels uncomfortable in their own skin. When a person doesn't feel comfortable with themselves then they are not attractive to me.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder - my husband of 23 years still loves me - I went from size 14 in 1986 to a 2-4 now over the years. I have beome thinner and crankier

LOL! That will be me as well... well at least the crankier part. ;)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself. This being said, I feel I become less attractive when there are large rolls laying about that are not dressed with butter.

What size that is obviously depends on the person & since I am but 5', and of quite petite stature, there is less margin for error.
    Um, so yeah, when I see large rolls encircling my body, I believe it's unattractive.

To this I say, meh. I'm working on it :drinker:
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Come on right, if you're 60 stone and need an ambulance/fire crew winching you out of bed to get to your hospital appointments, 99% of the population wouldnt find you attractive.

Being physically attracted to someone isnt shallow, its a basic human instinct. I am not stereotyping anyone and not judging anyone on their weight, I am asking for opinions only. Just because someone got offended doesnt mean i'm in the wrong does it?
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Being physically attracted to someone isnt shallow, its a basic human instinct. I am not stereotyping anyone and not judging anyone on their weight, I am asking for opinions only. Just because someone got offended doesnt mean i'm in the wrong does it?
    I don't know if you're in the wrong, but the point is that it's arbitrary. And even if it wasn't, even if the whole site were able to come together and say that at point X, definitively, without a doubt, weight becomes unattractive... How does that help anyone? You better hope that you're under that magic number, otherwise holy crap! Several thousand people just decided that you are UNATTRACTIVE. No matter what. Oh sure, you can fix it, but by GOLLY, you were past the MAGIC NUMBER and you are UNACCEPTABLE FOR SOCIETY.

It's just... ugly. Pointless. Hurtful. Arbitrary.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Come on right, if you're 60 stone and need an ambulance/fire crew winching you out of bed to get to your hospital appointments, 99% of the population wouldnt find you attractive.

[/quote

You can post literally anything on here and someone somewhere will be offended. Of that you can be guaranteed. But like I said, it's just not something that can be agreed on. Beauty really is an individual thing.
  • linxus
    linxus Posts: 87
    Options

I don't know if you know this, but there is HUGE bbw-loving community.. there are guys/females that simply just PREFER bigger ladies. Its no different from a girl liking skinny guys, or a girl liking guys with brown hair. Its called preferences. And in this community, they don't love big girls because they're confident or have a good personality (although I'm sure that compliments it), but they actually PREFER that look. As everyone else said, its subjective.

By the way, I'm not arguing or bashing you. So please don't take it that way! I don't feel that theres a need for everyone to start a witch hunt. We all have our opinions. However, I just felt that I should inform not just you, but just in general, that there IS a HUGE community that LOVES bigger women.
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Putting a numerical value to this question is nearly impossible, three people of the same height can weigh the same amount on the scale, but carry the weight very differently. And which one of those combinations someone else finds attractive is very individual.

Further is the question of muscle very fat weight. I mean, I'm sure when Hugh Jackman played Wolverine he weighed more than when he played Jean Valjean, but I'm sure people would choose the former over the latter purely on the looks department. (Don't lie though - Hugh Jackman is always good looking.)

Case in point - I'm finally back to my pre-pregnancy weight. But, I can freely tell you that before my pregnancy (my son just turned 3), that weight was better distributed than it is now. Now I seem to have lost in my thighs, and it has migrated to my belly. And yes, my goal is to work on that and lose it, but - if this was a contest purely about the number on the scale - it wouldn't matter, because I weigh the same.

Go read all the skinny-fat threads about how you can not weight that much according to the scale, but still have an issue, because the weight isn't distributed in a conventionally attractive way - people can find people who don't weight that much equally unattractive for similiar reasons, and those people are just as upset and offended.

But at this point, what's the honest point of this thread, are people supposed to somehow collectively decide at what point anyone regardless of other factors becomes unattractive? Or - is this a thread where people feel good about themselves because they are found attractive? What's the real point of this thread?
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I am 5'6" tall and currently weigh 268 pounds and my boyfriend tells me that I'm beautiful and he has no problem being with me and seeing me naked and being seen with my in public so I'm assuming he truly does find me beautiful even though I wear a Womens (US) size 22.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I know this is a very controversial topic which is why you had some debate with someone about this. Like what the others said this is highly subjective and depends on multiple factors such height (big factor), built (small built, medium or large) as well muscularity (toned body tend to look better and more attractive at the same size than flabby body). Assuming you are medium built with some muscle tone. My opinion on ideal size is as follows:

5'3" or below- up to US size 6
    5'4"-5'6"- up to size US size 8
    5'7"-5'10"- up to size US 10-12
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Marilyn Monroe was a UK size 16. Just thought I'd throw that in there.

I looked into that, and yeah she was a size 16, but that was 60 years ago!

Portion size and dress sizes have changed to fit todays life styles, and people have got taller aswell. So she was a size 16 back then, but if she was the same now, she'd be a size 12 (uk)

I've looked into this topic before. Marilyn Monroe was very slim for the most of her career. She has a 24-25 inch waist with bigger hips and boobs. She is probably not size 12 (uk) she's probably closer to size US 4-6 currently. Especially with all the vanity sizing. By the way in my experience. UK size conversion is more like 3 size rather than 2. I'm US size 2 and UK size 8. I can fit into a UK size 6 but its really tight.