In Place Of A Road Map 3/2013

Options

Replies

• sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Just marking this one too, I made the switch in December, actually still working my way through it! Thanks!
  • traceytwink
    traceytwink Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It's so good to hear someone talking sense on here, thanks for posting this x
  • aprilslusher
    aprilslusher Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Now this is so scary. I calculated my BMR and I was just like wow.
    My numbers are 3274 for moderately active as I exercise 5 days a week for between 1-2 hrs each day.
    Do you think I will lose any weight eating this or 20% of that?
    I've been at the same weight of 209pounds, I've not been a ble to lose a single pound in like almost a year and I exercise and diet.
    What do you think is the problem, and I eat around 1500-1800 cals.
    Thank you.

Problem?
    Your body would like to burn estimated 2112 calories if you were just sleeping all day. That would be unstressed body.

You are feeding it 1500-1800 calories everyday, and then from that exercising 1 to 2 hrs and probably burning 400-800 calories of that right off the top to just move you.

You've left your body with 1000-1100 calories to work with for the functions of life, and making improvements your exercise could be doing. Of course body isn't getting that.

Think it's stressed?

Stressed body is going to fight fat and weight loss. Diet is stress, frequent lengthy exercise is a stress, got other stresses?

Problem? Shocked if you didn't.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I should rephrase my question. How do I know I am picking the right tdee on my chart? Excersize and activity levels can be somewhat subjective.
    I am a little lazy when I am not excersizing, meaning I'm not doing hours of vacuuming, mopping and running around my house. But I have to go up and down my stairs several times a day and do some chores per day, plus I am excersizing. So would it be better to calculate my calories from20% less than sedentary and add excersize in or just calculate 20% less than lightly moderate and not add in excersize?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I should rephrase my question. How do I know I am picking the right tdee on my chart? Excersize and activity levels can be somewhat subjective.
    I am a little lazy when I am not excersizing, meaning I'm not doing hours of vacuuming, mopping and running around my house. But I have to go up and down my stairs several times a day and do some chores per day, plus I am excersizing. So would it be better to calculate my calories from20% less than sedentary and add excersize in or just calculate 20% less than lightly moderate and not add in excersize?

It's very much a matter of personal choice and depends largely on whether you exercise around the same amount each week and whether you have an HRM.

Most people work their exercise calories into their TDEE but I prefer to set mine to sedentary then log my exercise.

1. I get great satisfaction out of seeing the calories burned!
    2. I use a HRM so have a fair idea of what I am burning
    3. My exercise varies week to week. I run and do strength training three times a week but often go hiking at the weekends too. Sometimes it is a quick two-hour hike cross country, other times I take six hours and climb moutains.
    4. I enjoy 'earning' calories - so a few pints of real ale after a hike (and cake en route) has been well and truly earned ;)
  • tntzezula
    Options
    Bump!!
  • cjm109
    cjm109 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

Better activity calc for TDEE. Log progress. Use best estimate of BMR. Same BF% calc's.
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Bump, sheesh I really need to do this.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone, another question. My treadmill has heart rate monitor on the handles. You just hold on for a few minutes and it gives you the heart rate, is that ok to use? I guess I could touch them every 5 minutes and do an average?
  • samsamnojam
    samsamnojam Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    OK. Thank you all for answering my question. I'd better not eat my exercise calories anymore!! That would explain why I put on weight recently on a week that I exercised a lot.

Love this thread. So valuable.
  • scaiter
    scaiter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting, and mimics almost exactly what a friend of mine who is a master's student in food science told me. She calculated my caloric intake should be about 2000 calories, and I was shocked and didn't listen. I went with the MFP edict of 1470 and, guess what? Three months in, I've only lost 18 lbs.

I have to admit, the thought of adding calories to my daily intake really scares me. I've been working so hard to reduce my intake, that the thought of adding another 387 seems counterproductive. But I'm stumped and, frankly, very disheartened.

Thanks for this.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    First I have to confess that I started off here on a 1200 cal daily intake, because I didn't know there was anything else. After a while, I found this (earlier versions), but 1200 cal was working for me so I didn't see the need to change it. Now, I'm more than halfway to my goal weight and my weight loss has slowed down considerably. I don't want to keep to a 1200 cal intake as I don't think it's sustainable in the long run, especially if I don't want to have to log my calories for the rest of my life.

Following the instructions, my TDEE should be somewhere between 1900 - 2100 cal, so I should aim for around 1600 cal a day. Currently, I'm at 1400 cals a day ... How should I increase my cals to get there? Should I up it by 200 at one go or go for 1500 for a week and then 1600 after? :) Thanks.
  • Sierrasdawn
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options
    Sorry everyone, another question. My treadmill has heart rate monitor on the handles. You just hold on for a few minutes and it gives you the heart rate, is that ok to use? I guess I could touch them every 5 minutes and do an average?

For what purpose to know your HR? Your exercise is already included in your TDEE, so you now longer need to know calorie burns beyond curiosity, and there are better ways to judge a workout. Pace and HR.
  • heybales
    Options
    First I have to confess that I started off here on a 1200 cal daily intake, because I didn't know there was anything else. After a while, I found this (earlier versions), but 1200 cal was working for me so I didn't see the need to change it. Now, I'm more than halfway to my goal weight and my weight loss has slowed down considerably. I don't want to keep to a 1200 cal intake as I don't think it's sustainable in the long run, especially if I don't want to have to log my calories for the rest of my life.

Following the instructions, my TDEE should be somewhere between 1900 - 2100 cal, so I should aim for around 1600 cal a day. Currently, I'm at 1400 cals a day ... How should I increase my cals to get there? Should I up it by 200 at one go or go for 1500 for a week and then 1600 after? :) Thanks.

Even if your real TDEE is actually 1400 because you have to gain or loss there for many weeks, eating 200 more is less than 1 lb gain of fat in 2 weeks, if your metabolism stayed exactly where it was at.
    Which isn't likely.

Increase it, and lift heavy during those first weeks.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Even if your real TDEE is actually 1400 because you have to gain or loss there for many weeks, eating 200 more is less than 1 lb gain of fat in 2 weeks, if your metabolism stayed exactly where it was at.
    Which isn't likely.

Increase it, and lift heavy during those first weeks.

Hmm, good point :) Thanks! I'll up my calories, lift heavy and let my body do what it will (lol) :D Hope to have positive results to report after a couple of weeks!
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    hey all,

apologies if my question has been addressed previously....

basically i started this method a couple weeks ago and basis 20% less tdee for moderately active i am set at just over 1800 cals oer day. as i am exercising 5 days a week, is it ok to still eat this 1800 cals on my 2 rest days or should i be aiming to eat a little less?
  • JudyAngelman
    JudyAngelman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Save to read