• CarolinaGirlinVA
    CarolinaGirlinVA Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I hope this doesn't sound like a silly question, I'm just starting out with MFP and have been reading a lot of info here on the boards and learning a lot along the way. trying to process it and find the best way to go about my weight loss is challenging for me because i'm so unfamiliar with these things such as bmr, tdee, macros etc.

I currently wear a bodymedia fit core band about 23hrs a day.

My specific question is if i'm going to follow the tdee approach outlined here, is it ok to use my info from the core band for my tdee (averaged over the coarse of a week) or should i still do the calculator approach outlined in this post?

My biggest concern with the calculators are figuring out my activity level. in order for my calculator tdee to be close to my armband tdee i have to choose "active" even though i consider myself "lightly active" as i don't work out much at all at this point.

I'm sorry if this post seems all over the place, being new i guess i'm just looking for some confirmation that i'm understanding what i'm reading and doing things the right way.

Thanks in advance,
    Tim

Tim,

Go to the body media website and look at your months burn.
    Divide that number by 30 to get your average tdee.
    Cut 20%.

This, somehow, answers one of the questions I have had for a while. However, I am ONLY 4'11" and after cutting 15% of my TDEE (according to my BMF), I will have to eat around 1800 calories a day. I am more than happy to eat that. :) In fact, i have been eating this amount for about a month now. No weight loss, but no gain either, so I am not sure if the BMF is accurate or if I will start seeing results after a couple of more weeks. Time will tell!!! :bigsmile:
  • lh1626
    lh1626 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bump. :happy:
  • MsJourno
    MsJourno Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Aimeebird1
    Aimeebird1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I read this once before and love it then lost it so im glad its found again yay!!
  • nayla1984
    nayla1984 Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This makes my head hurt. I have tried numerous times to understand this and I am normally a numbers person. UGH!

Then have fun with numbers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • heybales
    Options
    I'm switching, as of today, to trying this.. I'm scared..very scared.

Happy to eat more, but scared, very scared.

I'm 5"1', 155lbs, the BMR Fat 2 Fit Radio for someone who works out 3-5 times a week says 2272.

BTW, I'm an accountant-no kids. I sit all day. Except for working out. I usually burn about 500 calories a day working out. On the weekends, Sat & Sun, I can burn up to 800 by doing 2 hours of workouts. I'm very active at the gym, but very sedentary outside the gym.

80% of 2272 is 1800. Am I looking at this correctly? Please message me if I am not. Thank you in advance.

Those days a week should be viewed as hrs a week.

You sound like you work out everyday, plus longer on the weekends.
    You are much more than moderately active.

And since frequent exercise is a stress on the body, don't add more by not eating enough. You'll regret the results.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your input! We'll see how it goes. I do workout a lot, so I doubt I'll gain, but I wonder if I'll actually lose...
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you for your input! We'll see how it goes. I do workout a lot, so I doubt I'll gain, but I wonder if I'll actually lose...

Oh, you'll gain, I'm sure you will.

For that level of activity and under-eating, your body has been itching to store more glucose, which stores with water.

Now you'll finally be feeding it enough to do so.

You should have 3 - 5 lbs of pretty quick water weight gain for that desired glucose stored. You train it endurance, that's what it wants to do.
  • Cherbear67
    Cherbear67 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have given up.. This makes my head friggen hurt.. :(
  • GonnaBFit2510
    GonnaBFit2510 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    How long does it take on average to start getting results? I've been at this three weeks now and the first week I gained 2lbs which I was expecting and since then I've not lost anything :0( will I start seeing some results soon do you think??
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    hey all,

apologies if my question has been addressed previously....

basically i started this method a couple weeks ago and basis 20% less tdee for moderately active i am set at just over 1800 cals oer day. as i am exercising 5 days a week, is it ok to still eat this 1800 cals on my 2 rest days or should i be aiming to eat a little less?

Same daily.

Your workout calories are basically being averaged over the whole week, daily. So eating what appears to be more one day actually is just making up what is not really enough another day.

thanks very much:wink: , really good news.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Right well I am starting this today.

After doing Insanity 3-4 times a week, eating 1400 and hitting all my macros (occasionally going over on sugar), I have not lost a single pound, inch or body fat for 2 months/ Everyone keeps saying I'm not eating enough, but as you know the idea of going up is quite scary when you've eaten low for ages.

So here I go, I'm hoping it will help shift the last 7lbs.
  • shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Another question. Can you still do cheat meals on the TDEE -20?
  • heybales
    Options
    Another question. Can you still do cheat meals on the TDEE -20?

Sure, you just won't have a deficit that day if you actually eat at TDEE.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    hi heybales,

what is the harm in me eating some or all of my exercise calories? will that mean i will just gain or maintain? or will i still lose, just not much?
  • heybales
    Options
    How long does it take on average to start getting results? I've been at this three weeks now and the first week I gained 2lbs which I was expecting and since then I've not lost anything :0( will I start seeing some results soon do you think??

Dan always says this isn't about weight loss, but body improvement and fat loss, so perhaps no weight for a long time.

Use the spreadsheet if you want weight loss too, but still keeping it safe.
  • heybales
    Options
    hi heybales,

what is the harm in me eating some or all of my exercise calories? will that mean i will just gain or maintain? or will i still lose, just not much?

TDEE include exercise (unless doing it differently).
    You eat that with deficit.

You exercise and log it.
    You eat that too.

You at best removed some of your deficit, but at worst more likely just ate back your deficit and are in surplus.