In Place Of A Road Map 3/2013

Options
1192021222325»

Replies

• Mommy4812
    Mommy4812 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    hi heybales,

what is the harm in me eating some or all of my exercise calories? will that mean i will just gain or maintain? or will i still lose, just not much?

TDEE include exercise (unless doing it differently).
    You eat that with deficit.

You exercise and log it.
    You eat that too.

You at best removed some of your deficit, but at worst more likely just ate back your deficit and are in surplus.

I thought you exercise was included in you TDEE - 20% and you don't log it or eat them back.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    you are fabulous, as always.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Question - this roadmap is tremendously helpful. I readjusted to 1600 a day from 1200 a day. I think I am still spinning on defining level of activity - I read that unless you are absolutely not moving around during the day, to look at "light."

When I calc my TDEE I get:

1847 - desk job
    2116 - light activity

Then less 20% to lose weight, I get:

1478 - desk
    1693 - light

My job is desk but I am not STILL all day - huge corporation, I can log 5-7K steps a day on my pedometer plus shuffling kids and such every day.

I selected 1600 as I took the advice of not logging sedentary to heart unless you are just not moving all day - with the warmer weather I am now able to get out on weekends and do long bike rides or trail walks but that is the real extent to my working out.

I guess I am looking to clarify level of activity - mainly b/c if "desk" is more accurate then I am eating a bit above my 20% deduction at 1600...............

I take my #'s to be that in general, I should probably eat between 1478 (desk) and 1693 (light) to lose weight. Then once I hit my goal, if I go back to Fat 2 Fit and plug in that true goal weight #, I would eat between 1638 (desk) and 1877 (light) to maintain.........

So bottom line, do you consider that sedentary level for desk jobs or do I follow that statement in this original post of never logging that unless you truly are in bed all day and not moving??? I just want my readjusted #'s to be as close to accurate as possible and of course, plan to monitor over the next few weeks - thanks all!

Vast Majority of FitBit and BodyMedia users first getting it found out their non-exercise days with sedentary desk job ended up being at MFP's Lightly Active level, BMR x 1.35.

That is slightly below the TDEE level of Lightly Active 1.375.

And that is if you have NO exercise being done. Start exercising, that jumps you up to next level or at least rounds you up towards it.

So if exercise is only on the weekend, you would still need to log it and eat it back, aka MFP style.
  • heybales
    Options
    hi heybales,

what is the harm in me eating some or all of my exercise calories? will that mean i will just gain or maintain? or will i still lose, just not much?

You exercise and log it.
    You eat that too.

You at best removed some of your deficit, but at worst more likely just ate back your deficit and are in surplus.

I thought you exercise was included in you TDEE - 20% and you don't log it or eat them back.

True, I was answering specific question and results if they did what it sounds like they wanted to do.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    hi heybales,

You exercise and log it.
    You eat that too.

not sure i follow you.

just to clarify, basis moderately active i.e. i am currently exercising 5 days a week for about 50 - 60 mins each, my tdee less 20 % is just over 1800 calories. so far i have not been eating my exercise calories so am netting about 1800, except for yesterday which was my rest day when i went a little bit over and net little over 1900. am i doing something wrong? my understanding was that i shouldnt be touching my exercise calories as they are already factored in my tdee calculation however i am finding your msg abit conflicting. pls clarify.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    Options

not sure i follow you.

just to clarify, basis moderately active i.e. i am currently exercising 5 days a week for about 50 - 60 mins each, my tdee less 20 % is just over 1800 calories. so far i have not been eating my exercise calories so am netting about 1800, except for yesterday which was my rest day when i went a little bit over and net little over 1900. am i doing something wrong? my understanding was that i shouldnt be touching my exercise calories as they are already factored in my tdee calculation however i am finding your msg abit conflicting. pls clarify.

Confusing yourself.

Moderately Active TDEE level and not been eating exercise calories and eating 1800 does NOT mean you are netting about 1800.

You are netting 1800 - your exercise calories.

Your TDEE in your case includes planned exercise calories, avg'd out over the whole week.

So to your original question above - harm in eating back exercise calories?

Eating 1800 which is deficit to a 2250 TDEE that INCLUDES exercise calories already.
    If you had a 500 calorie workout and ate that back, you'd be eating 1800 + 500 = 2300.
    You just ate over your avg TDEE.
    You cannot lose weight, you are eating over maintenance.

You gotta understand and work through these things for success.

If you are on a long trip and your gas light comes on and it's a ways to the next gas station, can you do the math to confirm you'll make it. If you know that light means 2 litres left, then you likely can see what options you got up ahead when the next sign comes up saying gas in 100 km.
    But if you assume you got 200 km available and planning on making to your destination - you are likely in trouble.
  • HuneeBunee08
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Thank again for your awesome commitment to helping others out with this trek! You sure helped me :) Tagging for future reference points!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I've been following this plan for a while, and it really does work. I love being able to eat a healthy amount and still lose weight and build muscle in a healthy manner! :) Thanks Dan! You rock!
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, hope it actually works.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thx for 2013 update. Bumpage!
  • raincoastgirl
    Options
    I've been following a weight watchers plan of 20 points/day, which is roughly 1000-1100 calories. I've been doing so for the past five years and have been stuck at the same weight for five years.

Would anyone recommend just eating at TDEE for a week or more to reset? I need to get through this mega plateau.
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks Dan and heybales. I love being able to eat, feel full and still lose weight :bigsmile:
  • Naturally_EB
    Naturally_EB Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump*
  • MollDoll81
    Options
    bump!
  • racharmi
    racharmi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm on Day 2 and I am finding it hard to reach my goal of 1600.

I have been eating at between 1200-1400 for over 6 months now, so I am finding I don't have an appetite to eat more. I was making up my calorie goals with bad things recently (such as a couple of cookies etc), which sky-rocketed my sugar intake, which for me kills a flat stomach. I have now stopped doing this.

Any tips on how to increase my appetite and any foods you can recommend that will up my cals, but still be good for me. I hate nuts, which is normally recommended.
  • Kade6685
    Kade6685 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump