In Place Of A Road Map 3/2013

Options

Replies

• Hazel2005
    Hazel2005 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is very interesting, and mimics almost exactly what a friend of mine who is a master's student in food science told me. She calculated my caloric intake should be about 2000 calories, and I was shocked and didn't listen. I went with the MFP edict of 1470 and, guess what? Three months in, I've only lost 18 lbs.

Don't underestimate yourself! You are doing perfect - averages out to more than a pound a week! Slow and steady wins the race!
    Kudos!
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone, another question. My treadmill has heart rate monitor on the handles. You just hold on for a few minutes and it gives you the heart rate, is that ok to use? I guess I could touch them every 5 minutes and do an average?

For what purpose to know your HR? Your exercise is already included in your TDEE, so you now longer need to know calorie burns beyond curiosity, and there are better ways to judge a workout. Pace and HR.

I think I am just more comfortable knowing how many cals I am burning per workout right now, while I am just starting out. I don't want to over/underestimate. Once I get used to all of this maybe I will feel more comfortable guesstimating and adding it to my tdee. For now I want to follow sedentary and add cals. Because some days I am crazy lazy. So, is the handle HRM a good tool?
  • Kacee03
    Kacee03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have figured out everything with the calculators & actually came up with an average from the 3 for my fat %. I have all my numbers, but am having a problem customizing my fitness goals. I'm not sure what to set them to... Is it 20% of everything that MFP already calculated for me?? Here are my findings...

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1991
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2281
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2571
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2862
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 3152

I work out 3 times a week (M-W-F), 6 min cardio warm ups, 25-31 min workout & 9 min cool down yoga/stretching. I'm using the Biggest Loser for the WII, at the intermittent level (they have 3, beginner, intermittent or advanced ) and it kicks my butt!!! I do a challenge, as part of the program, once a week on Sunday (which is also my weigh in day) & try to do other challenges on my "off" days. I sit at a desk for work & am relatively active with my kids, but it's just running from one sport to another. So I would feel comfortable using the Lightly Active right now... I am getting stronger so the workouts are becoming a bit "easier" & I am also able to do some of the exercises that I couldn't do in the beginning. I started the 12 week "Biggest" program on 2/24/13 & will be done with it on 5/12/13. It has told me what calories to eat, but at first I was doing the MFP 1200 calories & really wasn't seeing much happen. I found this last week & raised my calories to 1400 (read where you said to raise it gradually at first on another thread) & have been under a bit because I am not quite used to being allowed to eat that much. Anyway, I actually lost 2 pounds after I raised them, but as of yesterday morning I gained it back. Biggest has me at 1428 this week which was just changed Sunday from 1508 last week and they had started me out at 1600+ (can't remember). I'm willing to use the TDEE with my Biggest Loser program, I just don't know where to set my Carb, Protein, Fat percentages, Fiber or Sugar...

EDITED: I just read a post you put above & would like to use the Sedentary as you do because I to like to see the calories I burn. That being added, can you help me to figure out my Fit Goals? I read & re-read your explanation over & over & knew what to do with the calories, but the rest didn't change on it's own & I wasn't sure what to change them to. Thanks! :)

Anyway, Can you help me figure out my Fitness Goals please??
  • Kacee03
    Kacee03 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for any help! :)
  • MrsSamiP
    MrsSamiP Posts: 11
    Options
    Bump
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    LOL can someone please pin this already?:sick:
  • JeriKinsman
    Options
    I am grateful for a "reason" why I am not loosing any weight. I have been stagnant for way too long- I just have a question, I have figured out my fat percentage and the other and upped my calories with MFP. Do I leave it that way forever? I am assuming that at some point I will be loosing weight and then my numbers will change right? When do I reassess? Thanks
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    BUMPITY BUMP
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry everyone, another question. My treadmill has heart rate monitor on the handles. You just hold on for a few minutes and it gives you the heart rate, is that ok to use? I guess I could touch them every 5 minutes and do an average?

For what purpose to know your HR? Your exercise is already included in your TDEE, so you now longer need to know calorie burns beyond curiosity, and there are better ways to judge a workout. Pace and HR.

I think I am just more comfortable knowing how many cals I am burning per workout right now, while I am just starting out. I don't want to over/underestimate. Once I get used to all of this maybe I will feel more comfortable guesstimating and adding it to my tdee. For now I want to follow sedentary and add cals. Because some days I am crazy lazy. So, is the handle HRM a good tool?

Not for purpose of calories. It's merely display, never used for calculating calories.

Machine basis that on weight and pace and watt's used to power the belt.

The machine estimate of calories, if you enter weight, will be more accurate than HRM.

Just subtract same deficit % from them before eating them back.
  • heybales
    Options
    hey all,

apologies if my question has been addressed previously....

basically i started this method a couple weeks ago and basis 20% less tdee for moderately active i am set at just over 1800 cals oer day. as i am exercising 5 days a week, is it ok to still eat this 1800 cals on my 2 rest days or should i be aiming to eat a little less?

Same daily.

Your workout calories are basically being averaged over the whole week, daily. So eating what appears to be more one day actually is just making up what is not really enough another day.
  • Phat_Bottom_Girl
    Options
    Bump
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Dan,

Awesome job! How can we get this added as a pinned/locked post on the main "General Diet & Weight Loss" page? Or added to the current pinned/locked "Newbies - please read me" post?

It would be SO helpful for everyone.
  • Stephiestephs
    Stephiestephs Posts: 132 Member
    Options

For what purpose to know your HR? Your exercise is already included in your TDEE, so you now longer need to know calorie burns beyond curiosity, and there are better ways to judge a

Not for purpose of calories. It's merely display, never used for calculating calories.

Machine basis that on weight and pace and watt's used to power the belt.

The machine estimate of calories, if you enter weight, will be more accurate than HRM.

Just subtract same deficit % from them before eating them back.

I am thoroughly confused now, all I see on mfp is people saying don't trust the calorie burn that the treadmill or mfp tells you
  • heybales
    Options
    I am thoroughly confused now, all I see on mfp is people saying don't trust the calorie burn that the treadmill or mfp tells you

And they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to treadmill's specifically.

HRM is many times different. Does different mean it is correct?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/773451-is-my-hrm-giving-me-incorrect-calorie-burn

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

MFP is more accurate than HRM if you did the exact speed in the description, and flat. And walking between 2 - 4 mph, or jogging between 4 - 6.3 mph.

Treadmill is easier, because you can include incline then, and different speeds that MFP won't have.

But as I said, equipment HR display is just for that - display, never used in any calculations anyway.
  • busytypeAmom
    busytypeAmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I recently read your IPOARM 2.0 and just happened to see this one. I plan to give this a try. Bookmarked for reading again. Also the pictures showed up on the 2.0 but not on this one for me. I don't know why. Thanks again for taking the time to share this.
  • abbysmommy7
    abbysmommy7 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    I'm switching, as of today, to trying this.. I'm scared..very scared.

Happy to eat more, but scared, very scared.

I'm 5"1', 155lbs, the BMR Fat 2 Fit Radio for someone who works out 3-5 times a week says 2272.

BTW, I'm an accountant-no kids. I sit all day. Except for working out. I usually burn about 500 calories a day working out. On the weekends, Sat & Sun, I can burn up to 800 by doing 2 hours of workouts. I'm very active at the gym, but very sedentary outside the gym.

80% of 2272 is 1800. Am I looking at this correctly? Please message me if I am not. Thank you in advance.
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This makes my head hurt. I have tried numerous times to understand this and I am normally a numbers person. UGH!