is it ok to eat around 500 calories a day?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    no way...........thats my breakfast lol
  • nicolemtracy
    nicolemtracy Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Only if you're on the HCG diet, otherwise it slows your metabolism down and sends your body into starvation mode, slows down any weight loss as your body tries to turn everything into fat storage and drains your energy, shuts down your vital organs since they're not getting the energy they need and you could possibly die. So no.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I would say to eat 1200 a day at minimum, isn't a bad thing to eat even 1400-1500 depending on how much excercise you get in your day. If you are burning atleast 500 calories a day doing excercises I would say eat up to 1500 and you should be alright and still lose weight.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Only if you're on the HCG diet, otherwise it slows your metabolism down and sends your body into starvation mode, slows down any weight loss as your body tries to turn everything into fat storage and drains your energy, shuts down your vital organs since they're not getting the energy they need and you could possibly die. So no.

This happens on HCG too
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    YouMustbeNewHere_zps410ab9ce.gif
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Uhmmm, yeah - that diet still requires you to live on 500 calories a day. AND you get the bonus of shoving pregnancy hormones into your body. Sometimes through injection.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmXwp1B4dq42ch7jk_PbH63V6K0Z00h-Z3wF5n9UKmb0NHBOE3Gg
  • frazzlecg
    frazzlecg Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    This question needed eight pages of replies? :noway:
  • Devon_McCormick
    Options
    I was the same way on adipex. I lost 50 pounds in a few short months. Of course I gained it back and twenty more pounds. Get off the diet pills, eat healthy, and exercise. That is just my opinion however.
  • Grimlock69
    Grimlock69 Posts: 197
    Options
    This is a joke right?
  • rdjamis
    rdjamis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1200 cal and 30 mins exercise a day will keep you fit for life.. eat fruit eat little eat often protein and carbs needed for survival
  • shawaniea
    shawaniea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    doesn't your stomach start growling and your throat goes numb idk how these people eat only 500 calories id pass out
  • runlisaloo
    runlisaloo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    No!!
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No.
  • tammyvarley77
    tammyvarley77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No xx never
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has actually looked at her diary. But she has only eaten 500 calories today. All of the other days have been over 1200.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has actually looked at her diary. But she has only eaten 500 calories today. All of the other days have been over 1200.

It's still early. (At least here in the Midwest USA). Sometimes I don't eat dinner (and then log it) till 8 or 9 in the evening, having had little eat the entire day before dinner.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    You said you lost the weight before and gained it all back. Why not try something different this time? Like getting off the diet pills and learning how to eat properly and exercise so you can be healthy. Then maybe you will have different long term results. Yo-yo dieting has got to get old. Figure out how much you can eat to keep your metabolism working.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

Read this and eat more food.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The only time it would be okay to consume 500 calories only a day is if you are doing something like HCG injections that is allowing you to use/burn storage fat as calories.....If you are not buring storage fat as calories you are starving yourself! Your body will be in starvation mode and you will burn muscle and likely gain anything you lose back as soon as you stop doing what you are doing!

Just FTR, HCG doesn't do anything to make you burn fat instead of muscle. the reason people lose weight on it is the 500 calories per day, and it seriously messes up the metabolism. I know a dozen people who did it and they all lost a considerable amount of muscle. HCG is no excuse to eat so little either.

OP follow the good advice you are getting here. Eat reasonably. I know adipex suppresses your appetite but if it's doing that to the point that you could get by on so little then you need to talk to your doctor about lowering your dose. Getting healthy is not a race. You're developing the habits you'll use for the rest of your life, so don't rush it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

HCG is exactly the same thing. See my reply to the other person talking about HCG above.
This discussion has been closed.