Shakeology by beachbody, is it worth it?

Options
I'm currently doing the Insanity work outs so i'm seeing the little promo's for Shakeology but i'm curious about it. I get that it has nutrients and such so it's "good for you". I'm not going to lie, part of me thinks that at $120/month it's an expensive Slimfast.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience with it?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Just buy a regular protein powder. The macros for beach body suck. It's like half protein and half carbs. It's not enough to really be a meal but it's too carb heavy to be a decent protein shake.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I use a chocolate protein powder right now. I forget the brand but it's only 100 calories. I like to mix it with yogurt & strawberries to make a shake.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    I'm currently doing the Insanity work outs so i'm seeing the little promo's for Shakeology but i'm curious about it. I get that it has nutrients and such so it's "good for you". I'm not going to lie, part of me thinks that at $120/month it's an expensive Slimfast.

First, I must tell you up front that I am a Beachbody coach and Shakeology is one of the products we offer.
    Is it worth it? I would suggest Google it and look into it yourself. There will be many that say no, and many that say yes.
    I think it is, not because I sell it, but because I use it. My diary is open if you want to check it out. I usually have it for breakfast.

Look into it and make up your own mind is my suggestion. Shakeology is certainly not the only one of its kind. You will most likely get many responses and suggestions here. I encourage you to check them out.
    Good luck!
    Joe
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Nope. Overpriced and undervalue. EAT REAL FOOD!
  • tacguy
    Options
    Just buy a regular protein powder. The macros for beach body suck. It's like half protein and half carbs. It's not enough to really be a meal but it's too carb heavy to be a decent protein shake.

It's not meant to be stricly a protein shake and it's not "carb heavy". Chocolate Shakeology containes 7% of the daily recommended allowance of carbs and 32% of protein.
    I wish people would get their facts straight and actually know what they are talking about BEFORE posting false information on message boards.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    And I wish people that sell the stuff with an obvious conflict of interest were not allowed to post.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If you can stomach the taste and texture (I found it to be hideous) and can afford it, go for it. I personally wouldn't use it because I am capable of getting everything I need from food.

As for the health effects, it's likely a placebo. If you advertise heavily enough and tell people how great something is, they are likely to believe it whether true or not.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think most coaches offer free samples of it. I would definitely try a sample before spending $120 for it.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    i do shakeology. I really like it. it's not meant to be a protein shake and shouldn't be looked at as one though.
  • Krisb427
    Krisb427 Posts: 1
    Options
    try to get a sample and see if you like it..i used it for about two months and did like some of the results--felt less bloated and was a good way to get a lot of vitamins. However, when my weight loss stalled I stopped replacing my breakfast with it and started eating real food again--and the weight started flying off. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not--but until I stall again-I'll stick with fruits/veggies and a multi vit. instead of the shakes
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

it's certainly not an expensive slim fast. as for meal-replacement shakes it's absolutely the best combination of taste and quality on the market. the nutrients in shakeology are incredibly high quality, diverse, and things the typical western diet lacks.

that said, whether it's worth it is a whole different story. do you want the nutrients but not care about taste? grab something like NOW Tru-Food Vegan which is $35ish for the same nutrient profile but tastes pretty nasty. Care only about taste but still want a decent nutrient profile? Grab something like VegaOne, Body by Vi, etc, etc. They're all... ok... but include flavorings and extras if you care about that kind of thing.

Or, if you'd prefer to stick with a homemade shake, do that.

With Shakeology it's simply a question of what matters to you? If you want the best nutrients and you want them to taste good and you want it to be convenient, then maybe $4/day is worth it. If you're willing to sacrifice in any of those areas, then it's not worth it.

Up to you!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

For about the same amount of calories and a fraction of the cost you can get a protein powder and amp it up. For me the issue with the protein powder was that most of them are low carb, I personally think one of the things about BB that everyone says is "so filling" is that it's high carb (comparatively). I just add 1/4 cup of rolled oats and grind them up in my blender before I add my wet ingredients to get some added carbs, this also adds a thickness to it (which isn't usually a problem because I make it with frozen fruit and greek yogurt, but if I let it sit it was thinning out). Don't go for the cost of the BB, it's not really worth it imho.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I just got a sample of the chocolate and it made me want to HORK. SO NASTY!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

it's certainly not an expensive slim fast. as for meal-replacement shakes it's absolutely the best combination of taste and quality on the market. the nutrients in shakeology are incredibly high quality, diverse, and things the typical western diet lacks.

that said, whether it's worth it is a whole different story. do you want the nutrients but not care about taste? grab something like NOW Tru-Food Vegan which is $35ish for the same nutrient profile but tastes pretty nasty. Care only about taste but still want a decent nutrient profile? Grab something like VegaOne, Body by Vi, etc, etc. They're all... ok... but include flavorings and extras if you care about that kind of thing.

With Shakeology it's simply a question of what matters to you? If you want the best nutrients and you want them to taste good and you want it to be convenient, then maybe $4/day is worth it. If you're willing to sacrifice in any of those areas, then it's not worth it.

Up to you!

I think when you make biased statements like that you should point out that what makes you a "coach" isn't that you actually "coach" little league but that you are affiliated with BB and therefore have a pressing financial benefit by touting the product line.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Up to you!

I think when you make biased statements like that you should point out that what makes you a "coach" isn't that you actually "coach" little league but that you are affiliated with BB and therefore have a pressing financial benefit by touting the product line.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this board knows I'm a BB coach.

also, did you bother to read the rest of my post? I didn't just jump out and say "BUY IT BUY IT IT'Z THE GREATEST!"

it's right for some people, and not for others. calm down.

EDIT: I challenge you to prove those statements false. ;)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's junk sold by multi level marketing. Run away, don't look back.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Up to you!

I'm pretty sure everyone on this board knows I'm a BB coach.

also, did you bother to read the rest of my post? I didn't just jump out and say "BUY IT BUY IT IT'Z THE GREATEST!"

it's right for some people, and not for others. calm down.

When someone has 35 board postings I do not assume that they know anything about the boards or the people who frequent them. Additionally, I find that you frequently question people's reading comprehension skills when they disagree with you, frankly i read it in it's entirety and found the whole thing slanted into a bit of an advertisment hidden in a conversation.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

First, I must tell you up front that I am a Beachbody coach and Shakeology is one of the products we offer.
    Is it worth it? I would suggest Google it and look into it yourself. There will be many that say no, and many that say yes.
    I think it is, not because I sell it, but because I use it. My diary is open if you want to check it out. I usually have it for breakfast.

Look into it and make up your own mind is my suggestion. Shakeology is certainly not the only one of its kind. You will most likely get many responses and suggestions here. I encourage you to check them out.
    Good luck!
    Joe

I am quoting this because this is the best and most honest answer I've ever seen from a BB coach in response to a shakeology question.

Personally, I think it's overpriced and there are many similar products that will do the job for cheaper. I also question the necessity for meal replacement or high-protein shakes for either healthy or overweight people. The western diet contains more than adequate protein.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love it! It's filling, tastes great and has a ton of nutrients that I feel I am missing from my diet. It's pricey but worth it to me. The others I have tried don't compare but then again everyone is different. I would ask for samples, give it a try and judge for yourself. Lots of great recipes on their website and the nutritional values are listed.

BTW - I am not a coach.. just like the stuff :)
  • tacguy
    Options
    Who said they coached little league? I certainly didn't.
    Millions of people have seen great success with Beachbody products, me included but it' not for everyone. What do you have against Beachbody??