Shakeology by beachbody, is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Who said they coached little league? I certainly didn't.
    Millions of people have seen great success with Beachbody products, me included but it' not for everyone. What do you have against Beachbody??

i think its ridiculous that you call yourselves "coaches", knowing full well that this description implies a mentoring capacity for people trying to lose weight. all it really means is that you've got a garage full of meal powder packets you're trying to sell to whoever you can.

i certainly wouldn't run around calling myself a "professor" unless i really was one.,but you "coaches" give that name to yourselves and you don't disclose to the newbies that you are anything BUT mentors.

it's kind of evil for you to do that, actually. it's a lie of omission that is designed to further your goal of selling your meal powders.

because that's actually what we do.

I haven't actively sold, or attempted to sell a shake in months - but what have I been doing? I've been working with my 100+ clients, helping them lose weight. I have folks I've worked with who have dropped over 100 pounds.

That's not because I "sell shakes", it's because I work with them on creating an eating plan and a fitness plan that works for them, and i help keep them motivated. THAT'S why I consider myself a Coach.

So I understand your frustration with "coaches" in general, but try to understand that most of us aren't looking to make a quick buck and are genuinely working one on one with our clients.

but that's not the point i was making and you know it. EVERYONE selling your meal powders calls themselves a coach. it's probably as simple as cutting a $20 check to the company that makes those meal powders for them to officially list you as one of their "coaches". so you could sit on your butt all day in front of the TV and not help a single person with anything, ever, and still be called a coach. that's the dishonesty in the use of that "title" that bugs me a little bit. between you and the 100 clients you have, if they want to call you coach privately, then it's between you and them, but your username here shouldn't include the term "coach" because it implies something that you are not. you are not a recognized mentor here on MFP. MFP has not bestowed the title of "coach" on you. you have given it to yourself. it does fool newbs to this site when the see that username. you know it and i know it. if you want to do the intellectually honest thing, then you should change your username. you are allowed to do that here without it impacting your account at all, at least a limited number of times. so the ball is in your court to change your name or not.

w.r.t. the people you are helping, then good for them and good for you. personally, i'll be passing the 100lbs mark myself at the end of this month. i've never needed anyone to create a fitness or eating plan for me, nor have i needed anyone to motivate me. so it can be done without any of that. i am proof of that, as are many others here. i know other people are different and i don't fault them for that. if you are truly helping those people overall, then good for you. but i still think the use of the title "coach" here on MFP is problematic for new users who don't know better.

if meal powder salesmen continue to use "coach" in their usernames, perhaps i should attempt to balance the playing field. i am now considering changing my username to "ProfessorNobelLaureateWinnerVictoriousGeniusAndGuru".

(no actual credentials implied, of course) :tongue:

no I hear you - I really do. I've considered changing it a few times, but the initial reason I picked it wasn't to "fool" anyone - it's just the screen name I've been using alongside my fitness business since I started it (and yes, it's a business. Want a Team Reddy t-shirt?) and before I ever became active on these boards.

I'll be honest - and it's petty - but one of the biggest reasons I haven't changed it is that I've got nothing to be ashamed of. I've helped a lot of people do amazing things, and I'm proud of that. I enjoy coaching and mentoring people, and I like offering advice where I can. I have this feeling that if I were to change it, the group of posters who are none to fond of me and my views would take it as some sort of "victory".

Maybe that's stupid, but the reality is this - my only intention is and has been to help people and to offer whatever insight I have. You don't agree with my opinions? That's cool, it's the internet, you're allowed to, and let's have a silly fight about it, but like I said I'm proud of the things I've accomplished and I enjoy helping people, and that's what makes me want to keep the name.

But I'll think about it. Your points are absolutely valid.

Oh.

It's you again :yawn:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy it unless there's a guarantee that it's going to bring boys to the yard.

I could teach you but I'd have to charge...

Seems to be the theme of the thread really.
    That, it does. And they're like "It's better than yours." But I still question it.

Solid approach that.

3735725_o.gif
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I haven't actively sold, or attempted to sell a shake in months - but what have I been doing? I've been working with my 100+ clients, helping them lose weight. I have folks I've worked with who have dropped over 100 pounds.

That's not because I "sell shakes", it's because I work with them on creating an eating plan and a fitness plan that works for them, and i help keep them motivated. THAT'S why I consider myself a Coach.

So I understand your frustration with "coaches" in general, but try to understand that most of us aren't looking to make a quick buck and are genuinely working one on one with our clients.

First, I've tasted it, and it's vile. Fake chocolate flavored sawdust of death.

Second, unless you're a licensed nutritionist and personal trainer, how can you feel good about creating eating and fitness plans for people?

Third, by calling them "clients", you are indicating an exchange of money for service or goods.

Call it like it is, you peddle your wares for cash, and just put pretty names on it to make yourself feel less slimey.

yeah nope. my clients don't pay me a thing, they just buy through me if/when they get a new workout program or decide they want to buy shakeology or any other product. I don't actively solicit them.

and yes, they call me "coach" so why shouldn't I call them "clients"?

and I feel good about creating meal plans because I know an awful lot about food, and my clients' results speak for themselves. Did you know Tony Horton isn't a certified personal trainer? just because you don't have letters after your name doesn't mean you can't possess the same knowledge as those who do.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    anyway this is silly.

OP, make up your own mind. all the info's available to you and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for you. :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Most (all of the ones I know about) real professions that advise and counsel clients have specific conflict of interest disclosures that are either mandated by law or by the internal rules of the profession. If I, for example, left any question about who I represented in a particular transaction, and someone was left with any impression that I represented their interests, I could (and should) have my license taken away. I know research scientists also make disclosures about funding, and professors in my profession make similar disclosures. The point is to provide an adequate level of information available regarding potential bias, and then allow people to make informed decisions for themselves. If you consciously choose to step away from such an approach, then you are being deceitful in my (informed) opinion.

Edit: I find it especially distasteful of those people who do not follow the above approach, to constantly argue that bias in research is a reason to ignore it, and to tell unsuspecting consumers that they should instead trust them and their magic shakes.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    anyway this is silly.

OP, make up your own mind. all the info's available to you and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for you. :)

You're correct, it is silly

OP, don't waste your money on these...
  • surlydave
    surlydave Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville Brett thinks it's funny when they call themselves "coaches".

"We simply must have him on the boat." ~~ The Captain
  • ceciliam23
    ceciliam23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I do insanity too, and looked into the shakes. Beware of any product that says "proprietary" blend. That means that they don't have to list how much of any of the ingredients that they put into it. Most of the time, that means that there's insignificant amounts of a whole lot of different stuff, none of which has any real therapeutic effect. I'm personally not into pre-made shakes, (although if they work for you - keep doing it!). I like to throw some fruits and veggies into a blender with some coconut kefir, and maybe some nut butter. It's all real food, and it certainly doesn't cost almost 200 dollars a month (that's a bit much, even if it does work).
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You call me Admiral...so why shouldn't I call you seamen? (That said, I have no advice on shakes or beach bodies. Good luck on your journey!)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

Second, unless you're a licensed nutritionist and personal trainer, how can you feel good about creating eating and fitness plans for people?

Third, by calling them "clients", you are indicating an exchange of money for service or goods.

Call it like it is, you peddle your wares for cash, and just put pretty names on it to make yourself feel less slimey.
    Truth.
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    overpriced rip off
  • BrainsOnGains
    BrainsOnGains Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    ...more like Fartology
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

yeah nope. my clients don't pay me a thing, they just buy through me if/when they get a new workout program or decide they want to buy shakeology or any other product. I don't actively solicit them.

and I feel good about creating meal plans because I know an awful lot about food, and my clients' results speak for themselves. Did you know Tony Horton isn't a certified personal trainer? just because you don't have letters after your name doesn't mean you can't possess the same knowledge as those who do.

They pay you for for the shakes and you make a profit. Don't dress it up to be something it ain't.

They're your clients alright. Because they're paying for your services. That's the part most of us don't care for.

These boards provide free and unsolicited advice. You have a product to sell. There's a conflict of interest.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

They pay you for for the shakes and you make a profit. Don't dress it up to be something it ain't.

They're your clients alright. Because they're paying for your services. That's the part most of us don't care for.

These boards provide free and unsolicited advice. You have a product to sell. There's a conflict of interest.

that's literally not at all how it works. they don't PAY ME ANYTHING. I don't have a stock of shakeology. I don't have ANY stock of ANYTHING. if they buy it from Beachbody, then Beachbody sends me a cut. That's it. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

But as I said, I don't, haven't, and never will tell someone on this board that they should buy shakeology. I challenge all of you who are calling my slimy to find one instance where I have said "you should buy/use shakeology".

It's not for everyone, and the large majority of my clients don't even use it. guess what? I still work with them. I don't care if you buy it or not.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'm really interested in becoming a coach.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    that's literally not at all how it works. they don't PAY ME ANYTHING. I don't have a stock of shakeology. I don't have ANY stock of ANYTHING. if they buy it from Beachbody, then Beachbody sends me a cut. That's it. You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I'm confused.

In one sentence, you said they don't pay you anything, then in the next you say you get paid...

Must be hard to keep up with all the BS that becomes with becoming a BeachBody coach..
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm confused.

In one sentence, you said they don't pay you anything, then in the next you say you get paid...

Must be hard to keep up with all the BS that becomes with becoming a BeachBody coach..

really? playing the "intentionally obtuse" card? cute.

clients pay me nothing. beachbody pays me. very, very simple. but hey maybe that's complicated for some... who am I to judge?
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Who said they coached little league? I certainly didn't.
    Millions of people have seen great success with Beachbody products, me included but it' not for everyone. What do you have against Beachbody??

i think its ridiculous that you call yourselves "coaches", knowing full well that this description implies a mentoring capacity for people trying to lose weight. all it really means is that you've got a garage full of meal powder packets you're trying to sell to whoever you can.

i certainly wouldn't run around calling myself a "professor" unless i really was one, but you "coaches" give that name to yourselves and you don't disclose to the newbies that you are anything BUT mentors.

Uh-oh.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

But as I said, I don't, haven't, and never will tell someone on this board that they should buy shakeology. I challenge all of you who are calling my slimy to find one instance where I have said "you should buy/use shakeology".

It's not for everyone, and the large majority of my clients don't even use it. guess what? I still work with them. I don't care if you buy it or not.

So they don't pay you anything, but if someone buys it you get paid. OH I SEE! What a complete and total difference!

Just because you don't say "You should buy shakeology" doesn't mean you aren't pitching it. How dumb do you think people are?

Oh you don't care if I buy your shake? What's next you gonna take your ball and go home?

These threads (which I always suspect are just a trap to let you coaches pitch your products) ask opinions on shakeology. I'll give mine every time, with no permission required from you. Though I know you coaches try real hard to push a "If you don't like it shutup about it" policy. Sorry, ain't gonna fly.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I started using Shakeology when it first came out. I found out about it while surfing the Beachbody website (I was doing P90X at the time). I used it as sort of a post workout meal, so I didn't drink one every day. To be honest, I like it. I feel it helps me recover (I know I could make my own with a few cheap ingrediants, but I guess I'm a sucker). Over time I have been gradually turned off by it because of the annoying advertisements and grandiose claims at the end of their DVDs . Then one day a friend tried to sell me it (he didn't know that I already knew about it and used it). It was sort of sad because he came off as a used car salesman.

I really think Beachbody is hurting it's reputation with all this pyramid scheme crap. They are in my eyes at least. I think they should just stick to the infomercials and word of (unpaid) mouth. I've recommended P90X and other programs to a lot of people (and I don't get paid by them...another reason why I'm a sucker I guess). I don't feel as excited about recommending them anymore though.