Shakeology by beachbody, is it worth it?

Options

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Short answer: Nope. Overpriced and undervalue. EAT REAL FOOD!

^ This.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the Insanity work outs so i'm seeing the little promo's for Shakeology but i'm curious about it. I get that it has nutrients and such so it's "good for you". I'm not going to lie, part of me thinks that at $120/month it's an expensive Slimfast.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience with it?

First, I must tell you up front that I am a Beachbody coach and Shakeology is one of the products we offer.
    Is it worth it? I would suggest Google it and look into it yourself. There will be many that say no, and many that say yes.
    I think it is, not because I sell it, but because I use it. My diary is open if you want to check it out. I usually have it for breakfast.

Look into it and make up your own mind is my suggestion. Shakeology is certainly not the only one of its kind. You will most likely get many responses and suggestions here. I encourage you to check them out.
    Good luck!
    Joe

I am quoting this because this is the best and most honest answer I've ever seen from a BB coach in response to a shakeology question.

Personally, I think it's overpriced and there are many similar products that will do the job for cheaper. I also question the necessity for meal replacement or high-protein shakes for either healthy or overweight people. The western diet contains more than adequate protein.

shakeology isn't a protein shake. that's not its purpose. but whatevs. :)
  • mals30
    mals30 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I finished a round of Insanity this past July, and I definitely believe I had better results because I used Shakeology. I replaced one meal (usually dinner) with Shakeology and always felt so amazing, no lie. I had more energy and my mood was just so much better...Insanity played a role in this as well, but I really don't think I would've been able to lose the weight that I did without the shakes. The nutrition is unmatched....this is simply not a protein shake. If you look at it that way, yes, Shakeology is way too expensive. But if you look at it the way it was meant to be taken, then it's worth every penny. This should replace a meal everyday, which will ultimately save you money.

I love the chocolate and strawberry flavors. I add a tablespoon of peanut butter and almond milk to the chocolate flavor (along with a cup of ice)...SO good. Sometimes I add some finely ground coffee beans/granules to give it a kick. The strawberry flavor is great because the options are endless...bananas, berries, etc. If you drink Shakeology straight up,then yeah, it won't taste so great. You have to play around with it and make it your own :)
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options
    Who said they coached little league? I certainly didn't.
    Millions of people have seen great success with Beachbody products, me included but it' not for everyone. What do you have against Beachbody??

I'm pretty sure that wasn't directed at you. Look at the thread. Not all BB "coaches" are as open and honest as you were in your reply. Honestly, my hat is off to you. I think it's overpriced (consistent with most MLM companies' products) but if you're honest in advertising then consumers can make up their own minds. If you call yourself a "coach" and pretend to be pushing a healthy lifestyle while really using it as a cover to push product, then that's dishonest, IMO.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Millions of people have seen great success with Beachbody products, me included but it' not for everyone. What do you have against Beachbody??

I'm pretty sure that wasn't directed at you. Look at the thread. Not all BB "coaches" are as open and honest as you were in your reply. Honestly, my hat is off to you. I think it's overpriced (consistent with most MLM companies' products) but if you're honest in advertising then consumers can make up their own minds. If you call yourself a "coach" and pretend to be pushing a healthy lifestyle while really using it as a cover to push product, then that's dishonest, IMO.

are you insinuating I did that? i agree consumers should make up their own minds, that's why I literally listed competing products that compare with shakeology. lol
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

i think its ridiculous that you call yourselves "coaches", knowing full well that this description implies a mentoring capacity for people trying to lose weight. all it really means is that you've got a garage full of meal powder packets you're trying to sell to whoever you can.

i certainly wouldn't run around calling myself a "professor" unless i really was one, but you "coaches" give that name to yourselves and you don't disclose to the newbies that you are anything BUT mentors.

it's kind of evil for you to do that, actually. it's a lie of omission that is designed to further your goal of selling your meal powders.
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

i think its ridiculous that you call yourselves "coaches", knowing full well that this description implies a mentoring capacity for people trying to lose weight. all it really means is that you've got a garage full of meal powder packets you're trying to sell to whoever you can.

i certainly wouldn't run around calling myself a "professor" unless i really was one, but you "coaches" give that name to yourselves and you don't disclose to the newbies that you are anything BUT mentors.

it's kind of evil for you to do that, actually. it's a lie of omission that is designed to further your goal of selling your meal powders.

^ This. I agree with this 100% and it goes for anyone that uses "coach" in their MFP user name. IMO, it isn't worth even attempting to engage in reasonable conversation with people who use deceit to sell product.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    No.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I tried a sample, it tasted good - but if you have a good protein powder that you like, stick with that. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for Shakeology, no freakin' way.

There are no further benefits than what you will get from a quality protein powder at a fraction of the price.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

i certainly wouldn't run around calling myself a "professor" unless i really was one.,but you "coaches" give that name to yourselves and you don't disclose to the newbies that you are anything BUT mentors.

because that's actually what we do.

I haven't actively sold, or attempted to sell a shake in months - but what have I been doing? I've been working with my 100+ clients, helping them lose weight. I have folks I've worked with who have dropped over 100 pounds.

That's not because I "sell shakes", it's because I work with them on creating an eating plan and a fitness plan that works for them, and i help keep them motivated. THAT'S why I consider myself a Coach.

So I understand your frustration with "coaches" in general, but try to understand that most of us aren't looking to make a quick buck and are genuinely working one on one with our clients.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Nah not worth. Not enough to protein in it, so idk how it could keep u full. Plus I find the chocolate not tasty.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options

Unfortunately, I have to agree. There is a minority of Beachbody coaches who just want to make money. But most genuinely believe in the products because they use them themselves and want people to experience the same success they realized.
    For me personally, I already have a well-paid job and I don’t really need the extra income. I just want people to check things out for themselves. If these programs and nutritionals aren’t for them, no problem. I would prefer that people do SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to get fit and healthy. Run, walk, lift weights, Crossfit, whatever. A Beachbody workout is only one option.
    I think the key is for people to find something they enjoy doing, whatever that may be. Human nature is that if you don’t like what you’re doing, then you will eventually stop doing it and that leads to an unhealthy lifestyle.
    I guess it only takes a few to give the rest of us a bad rep.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Overpriced and you're better off buying a shake you enjoy that isn't attached to a pushy salesperson pretending to care about you.

Yes. I said I don't like shakeology or MLM'S. Go ahead and report me, salespeople.. oh I'm sorry, "coaches".
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Unfortunately, I have to agree. There is a minority of Beachbody coaches who just want to make money. But most genuinely believe in the products because they use them themselves and want people to experience the same success they realized.
    For me personally, I already have a well-paid job and I don’t really need the extra income. I just want people to check things out for themselves. If these programs and nutritionals aren’t for them, no problem. I would prefer that people do SOMETHING, ANYTHING, to get fit and healthy. Run, walk, lift weights, Crossfit, whatever. A Beachbody workout is only one option.
    I think the key is for people to find something they enjoy doing, whatever that may be. Human nature is that if you don’t like what you’re doing, then you will eventually stop doing it and that leads to an unhealthy lifestyle.

Thanks,
    Joe

^^^ this.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Is it worth it? I am sure any BB coach will tell you it is, they like to get the money (sorry BB Coaches its the truth)
    Do you need it? IMHO no, you can make your own shakes that are just as good.

I am doing Insanity, I make my own shakes, using fresh or frozen fruits, milk or water and add my own protein powder to them. I see no reason to spend the extra 120 dollars on the shakes.

The infomercials at the end of the work out are annoying. I would say eat a decent diet, work out, if you want a shake make it yourself - there are a million different recipes online if you want something like that or just throw all kinds of things in the blender and see what you get.

I have never tried shakeology so I have no opinion on what it does or tastes like. I like the BeachBody workouts but I really dislike the pushing of the other products.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I think when you make biased statements like that you should point out that what makes you a "coach" isn't that you actually "coach" little league but that you are affiliated with BB and therefore have a pressing financial benefit by touting the product line.

I'm pretty sure everyone on this board knows I'm a BB coach.

also, did you bother to read the rest of my post? I didn't just jump out and say "BUY IT BUY IT IT'Z THE GREATEST!"

it's right for some people, and not for others. calm down.

EDIT: I challenge you to prove those statements false. ;)
    I honestly didn't know you were a BeachBody shill until now. I generally ignore user names (or don't try to read much into them), so the "coach" thing didn't clue me in.

That you stand to profit doesn't necessarily discredit what you say. But not following a full disclosure guideline does discredit you, in my opinion. Saying "everyone knows by now" is disingenuous, and you know it.

If you aren't going to make it obvious that you sell the shakes when you talk about them, I'm grateful to other forum members who will.

To the OP: there is plenty of good advice in here already. A shake may be convenient. It may taste good. But it's certainly not necessary.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

i certainly wouldn't run around calling myself a "professor" unless i really was one.,but you "coaches" give that name to yourselves and you don't disclose to the newbies that you are anything BUT mentors.

because that's actually what we do.

I haven't actively sold, or attempted to sell a shake in months - but what have I been doing? I've been working with my 100+ clients, helping them lose weight. I have folks I've worked with who have dropped over 100 pounds.

That's not because I "sell shakes", it's because I work with them on creating an eating plan and a fitness plan that works for them, and i help keep them motivated. THAT'S why I consider myself a Coach.

So I understand your frustration with "coaches" in general, but try to understand that most of us aren't looking to make a quick buck and are genuinely working one on one with our clients.
    100+ clients, eh?

Between your supposed "clients" and you're budding stage career, just how on Earth do you find the time to school us simpletons on a daily basis?
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

I think when you make biased statements like that you should point out that what makes you a "coach" isn't that you actually "coach" little league but that you are affiliated with BB and therefore have a pressing financial benefit by touting the product line.

Hear hear!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Overpriced and you're better off buying a shake you enjoy that isn't attached to a pushy salesperson pretending to care about you.

Yes. I said I don't like shakeology or MLM'S. Go ahead and report me, salespeople.. oh I'm sorry, "coaches".

Yep, also please look at the posts and notice the only people recommending it...are selling it...
  • sunsnstatheart
    Options

Thanks,
    Joe

Joe, like I said, if that is your approach, then more power to you. Just understand that the other "coaches" are definitely giving you a bad name. Hiding behind the word "coach," pretending to have intellectual conversations designed to scare people away from regular food, and openly insulting anyone that argues with them is a very real MO for some. That said, I've been down a similar path in conversation before, and found it was all designed to blunt my criticism. My "if" in my first sentence is very real.