Do you "lie" on your food diary?

Options

Replies

• joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Why judge someone elses diary if they arent asking? i generally eat less than a thousand a day, and never eat back excerise calories, its something ive been working on ( eatting more calories while eatting healthy ) we all use mfp to help correct or behavior with food. My problem is i panic when i get close 900 and cant force myself to eat more. I wouldnt pick on someone for something you never know how sensitive of a subject it is if you arent that close to them

It's not about judging. You said it yourself "you are on here to correct a behavior" allowing people to veiw and/or comment on your diary keeps you in check. If you close your diary or lie on your diary, its true you won't be subject to critism but you also won't have friends that truly support you either because they can't if they don't know what you are up to. In my mind it's a good thing to be patted on the back for doing well, it's also a good thing when someone asks how I'm doing when I mess up, and it's good when people encourage me to try again tomorrow because I binged today. Maybe when you friend someone on here you should tell them of your "lack of calories" problem, so they can help support you in achieving your goals to eat more calories and eat healthy. This way they will know exactly what kind of support you need. This way when they look at Diary they won't critized instead they will encourage you to eat more.

I understand and respect those people who close their diary because it's there choice but to leave it open and lie.... give me a break you are hurting only yourself.
  • JoyceGhali
    Options
    No I don't, I log everything from chicken to gum.
    it became more of a normal thing to log my food and check the nutrition bar on everything now, if i have really small bite size things( sometimes of somethings I know I might not find in the Base) sometimes I'm lazy to add it or I just and 1-5 quick calories and I always end up with having 400-500 calories left on almost all days and I keep it that way because i'm not always sure if What I log is the accurate amount of calories I actually had, I just Feel Like i'm in the safe zone that way
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I log everything that I eat. I log the good, the bad, and the ugly. If I decided to go to the Chinese buffet, you'll know about it. If I lie, I'm only cheating myself.
  • jack1925
    jack1925 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If i lied on my food diary, I'd be lying to myself- to my body. I've been there, done that. In a much better place now... I record EVERYTHING!
  • Kathymomof4
    Options
    I just leave some things out and skip the weekends almost every time. Not good I know! :wink:
  • krsaxton
    krsaxton Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No - I don't keep my diary open, it is for me to look at and SEE what I have eaten. You have to own it. No reason to lie - just means you are lying to yourself and that's how I got here in the first place. Telling myself I was fine... RIGHT!! :)
  • laura_1551
    Options
    Okay I don't lie but like its hard because MFP has me at 1270 a day and my problem isn't that I want more than that, its that I actually want less!! I don't get hungry lately! It's the weirdest thing actually. I eat around 1000 a day and I don't even know how to get more in. I always go over on protein though. Its hard cause they say to eat when you're hungry.. which I do.. but I still don't have enough ): Anyone have tips?
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Whoever does is only foolong themselves, so why lie? I log it all!!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Okay I don't lie but like its hard because MFP has me at 1270 a day and my problem isn't that I want more than that, its that I actually want less!! I don't get hungry lately! It's the weirdest thing actually. I eat around 1000 a day and I don't even know how to get more in. I always go over on protein though. Its hard cause they say to eat when you're hungry.. which I do.. but I still don't have enough ): Anyone have tips?

Are u getting plenty of leafy veggies and fruits? Even though you're not hungry, its wise to get them in daily. Friend me if u share your diary. I'm on every single day!
  • Girlikecupcake
    Girlikecupcake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I regularly consume less than 1k calories, but I've eaten that way my entire life. It's difficult for me to tell when I'm hungry, and even after forcing down a spoonful of coconut oil, I'm often still below a good count.

That said, often if I know I'm well below my goals for the day by about early evening, I'll stop tracking it for the day out of sheer laziness. It's my own personal guide, for my own benefit, nobody should be using my food diary to benefit themselves.
  • twoss9112
    twoss9112 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I don't lie about the food, no.

Beverages though... I don't lie... I just don't log them, I don't know why.
    Correction, I only log beverages ** IF ** they have calories. Such as Almont Milk, protein drinks, or the occassional cocktail.
    But for the very most part, the beverages I drink don't normally have calories.
    I don't log water. I don't log any calorie free beverages like SobeLife Water or Vitamin Zero.
    I know coffee has minimal calories (2-5 or so)... I don't log coffee. I don't drink more than a cup or two and I drink it black.

But food, yes, I log it all.
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    The only person they are lying to is themselves then. They won't understand why loss isn't happening when they go back to look cuz its not honest. I log good, bad, and ugly. Only helps my accountibility
  • kaylabdermer
    Options
    Well, coming from an anorexic who ate less then 400 calories a day for two years, it can be done. But no, they can't do it and claim to be healthy.
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I dont lie but have discovers this weekend gone by not logging that dash of milk in my tea or those 2-3 haribo etc that I am probably overeating by 200 calories a day which would explain the no weight loss thing :)

Started logging everything that passes my lips this week so we shall see.

I thought I was logging everything, then realized I wasn't logging the splashes of milk in the coffee or the oil used for a stir-fry. I've decided that if I undereat my goal by, say, 200 calories, that may make up for the odd bits left out.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I try not to. I try to be accurate, but I sometimes catch myself over-estimating calories or portion sizes. I'll fix it if it's a lot, but I'll just let it go if it's under 100, and figure it will make up for something I under-estimated. So, I guess I try to be accurate, without being anal about it.

This is a tool that is only for you. Lying to yourself is just a waste of time.
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    No, I do not. Sometimes I wish I did, lol. I know a few people who do though and I do not see the point because you're just lying to yourself.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I don' lie unless you count overestimating calories. I do that quite a bit.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in lying. If you log it or not you still ate it and it will still add up. I feel like it is better to see what you are doing.
    his logging foods has really opened my eyes. Now I try to be honest as I can. Sometimes it is hard if you go out or eat at someone elses home to keep track. I just try to log in the best I can. Those days don't happen often. I rather have it go over than under when it happens.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    No, I won't lie in my diary

And those who are that heavy do not eat that little and/or do not exercise..case closed
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Well, coming from an anorexic who ate less then 400 calories a day for two years, it can be done. But no, they can't do it and claim to be healthy.

Anorexia is a serious condition, but it's not what's under discussion by the OP.

You can't eat 400 calories a day and weigh 200 + lbs. This is the impossible scenario that plays itself out often in the forums, obese people (mainly women) claiming they eat so few calories yet they remain obese, sometimes morbidly so. I don't doubt its some sort of eating disorder, but it's certainly not anorexia.