Do you "lie" on your food diary?

Options

Replies

• WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i eat low carb and I stay under 1000 cals. and I don't binge. Protein is a great appetite suppressant. I exercise like a madwoman as well.

The only calories I don't enter are vitamin calories (the calories from vitamins). Vitamins are vital and the cals are negligible. i even enter my 2 calorie cup of morning coffee.
  • MartinaNYC
    MartinaNYC Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hell no! First of all, I would be lying not only to myself, but also to all my MFP friends! I met great people here and I like sharing with them both my successes and my failures. Second, what's the point of being on MFP if you cheat? I try to be as precise as possible but, when in doubt, I always log the food that has the highest amount of calories- never the lowest.

Oh, the only exception: I love walking and I have to walk 15 mins to get to work from the train station (30 mins every day). So if I have coffee with a touch of sugar/honey or let's say I have 1-2 tiny crackers, I SOMETIMES omit that just because I know I'm going to burn everything by walking. But that's the sole, rare exception to the rule.
  • jrknotts
    jrknotts Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yea, I try to be a "local-vore" as much as possible and don't know the nutrition value of everything I eat at the local joints. I usually try to find something comparable at a nationwide restaurant, or log the ingredients individually (vegetables, chicken, bread etc).

...and I don't cheat. What is the point? It's not like the calories will disappear if you don't log them into the computer.
  • MissingPixies
    MissingPixies Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    NEVER. Every single item I eat, whether it is one bite...I add it in..why cheat yourself?

^This. It's just cheating yourself if you do "lie" about it. For myself I most often forget to use the food log and exercise log, mainly because I'm not used to logging everything, but I am hoping that will change soon and when I do start using it more often I'm not going to cheat myself.
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    There are days where my net is around 1000, or below even. But if you look at my total calories burned, and total calories consumed, you'll see I ate about 1900. A couple days a week I try to burn more than 1000 calories in my workouts but I just can't eat it all back.
    And there are occasionally a few things I will omit from my diary, some spices in small quantity, gum, and the sample of cinnamon bread I had while grocery shopping the other day... And I remembered this morning that I forgot to log a Ghiradelli mint dark chocolate square a couple days ago. Am I going to add that now? No.
  • wwmorrow
    wwmorrow Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I try to log honestly, (even when it's bad) but sometimes I do forget to finish. I did have one "friend" who was constantly commenting when I didn't have enough fruit or vegetables (to suit them), so I unfriended them. I found myself not wanting to log things because I didn't want to get ticked off by their comment. The whole point of a diary is to keep track of food so that you can see what's working...and what's not. I made mine open to my friends because I like to get ideas from others, so I thought they might too. However, everyone has struggles, and I tend to go with "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anthing at all."
  • LeeDahlen38
    LeeDahlen38 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lying........is what got me here.... 'Nuff said
  • klucass
    klucass Posts: 1
    Options
    YES! That is exactly what I do and why I do it. Or if I know I'm going to have a high calorie dinner or lunch, I want to know what to do to make it right. I have a hard time going over on my sugars because I love fruit, although they are thin skinned (berries, apples, etc.) they put me over.
    What I like about this keeping track of what you eat is when you have a bad day it tells you that you will weigh bla bla bla in 5 weeks, well nobody is doing this log to gain weight (I don't think).
    I think planning is the way to go!!
  • MissingPixies
    MissingPixies Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hell no! First of all, I would be lying not only to myself, but also to all my MFP friends! I met great people here and I like sharing with them both my successes and my failures. Second, what's the point of being on MFP if you cheat?

^Agreed :happy:
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I try to log honestly, (even when it's bad) but sometimes I do forget to finish. I did have one "friend" who was constantly commenting when I didn't have enough fruit or vegetables (to suit them), so I unfriended them. I found myself not wanting to log things because I didn't want to get ticked off by their comment. The whole point of a diary is to keep track of food so that you can see what's working...and what's not. I made mine open to my friends because I like to get ideas from others, so I thought they might too. However, everyone has struggles, and I tend to go with "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anthing at all."

Same thing just happened to me, but when I told the friend I didn't ask for her to judge what I ate, she defriended ME! lol
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I suspect no one lies on purpose unless they are trying to impress their MFP friends. I do sometimes think things get omitted, forgotten,
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    no. because whatever i eat, i've eaten. regardless of if it's logged or not. it's taking it's effects on my body. so why bother not logging it? it won't take away that cookie or glass of chocolate milk by not including it.

WHATEVER YOU EAT IN PRIVATE, YOU WEAR IN PUBLIC.
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    sometimes i don't log dinner. i'm on MFP almost nonstop 9 to 5 (can ya guess why?!) and then forget about it at night. or i'll log it the next morning.

This. Also, I will know how many calories I have left for dinner and I make sure I stay within that but I don't remember to log it.
  • ademiter
    ademiter Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    no. because whatever i eat, i've eaten. regardless of if it's logged or not. it's taking it's effects on my body. so why bother not logging it? it won't take away that cookie or glass of chocolate milk by not including it.

Ok, I LOVE your quote!
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Ok, I LOVE your quote!

lol thanks!
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Stop worrying about what others are doing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've stopped logging temporarily, but when I log, I usually log it all. I often don't log weekends though because I tend to eat a lot more food that I didn't prepare and would ony be guessing at the ingredients and calories. I don't see the point of guessing if I can't be reasonably sure I'm close.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm too "type A" to do that...which is why I've logged everything, every day, since I started this almost 20 months ago.

(Wow. That sounds crazier than intentionally *not* logging something occasionally. =\ )
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    I'm too "type A" to do that...which is why I've logged everything, every day, since I started this almost 20 months ago.

(Wow. That sounds crazier than intentionally *not* logging something occasionally. =\ )

Pretty much this. I log everything - gum, even medicine, weigh most of my food so I'm logging it accurately. Even my splurge days get logged (so much red).
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I was taking a diet pill for a while and this left me with absolutely NO hunger. There were days I would have 800-1000 calories. I am not a small person but sometimes you just cannot eat that much. Then, I would have a day I would consume 1600 calories.