"Women Can't Lift Heavy"

I swear, if I had a freaking nickel for all the times I heard this!

Meet Samantha Wright. :love:

http://articles.philly.com/2012-07-29/news/32907392_1_weight-lifters-olympics-samantha-wright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJHFnNIK1i4

Replies

• gc_tweety
    gc_tweety Posts: 205 Member
    She is amazing!!
  • Tysonlovesweights
    Tysonlovesweights Posts: 139 Member
    anyone who says this should check out the "Lift big eat big" and watch some of their videos (facebook) they have some ladies in that gym who would embarass most dudes in the gym. the quote for this thread goes right along with "lifting weights will make me look like one of those bodybuilder people"
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I have a friend who recently started heavy weight training, and there is a guy at her gym who is always trying to tell her she is lifting too heavy and that she should go lighter weights, more reps if she doesn't want to be ripped and bulky. Now, she knows better than that, but she brought up a point I hadn't really considered. She said to "What if I WANT to be ripped and bulky? What if that's a problem I'd actually like to have? Why does this random person think he gets to tell me how I should and shouldn't want to look?"
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    I have a friend who recently started heavy weight training, and there is a guy at her gym who is always trying to tell her she is lifting too heavy and that she should go lighter weights, more reps if she doesn't want to be ripped and bulky. Now, she knows better than that, but she brought up a point I hadn't really considered. She said to "What if I WANT to be ripped and bulky? What if that's a problem I'd actually like to have? Why does this random person think he gets to tell me how I should and shouldn't want to look?"

I like your friend :) I wouldn't mind being ripped/bulky as long as it's muscle and not fat bulk, lol. When I was complaining that my shoulder measurements when down a friend of mind couldn't understand why I wasn't happy that I was getting smaller. She said "what do you want big broad manly shoulders or something?!?" My reply was.... uhhhh duh YEA! Besides, broad shoulders make your waist look smaller :tongue:
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    I have a huge girl crush on her.... wow
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    It's not that we CAN'T lift heavy postrockandcats, it's that we SHOULDN'T. For many reasons... It makes the boys cry, for one. Oh, and also, if you lift weights, you might get all sexy and your *kitten* might start to defy gravity and creep upward into it's rightful position <shudders>

It's horrible. Step away from the barbells before it's too late hon. Trust me.

(Oh, btw, your kitty is soooo sexayyyy!!! He looks very comfortable in his fur) ;p
  • zooles
    zooles Posts: 93 Member
    I have a huge girl crush on her.... wow

Oh hellz yeah I do too!!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member

I had that happen the other day, lol. I was squatting a whole whopping 65 lbs and apparently because I wasn't lackadaisically squatting while holding a single 5 lb dumbbell my muscles were just going to fly right out of my body and kill everyone. Oh the horrors ;) Personally I wish I could get big and bulky too, but it certainly ain't happening with squats and dead lifts in the 70 lbs range.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    For the record, that girl is huge. Whether you're into that or not is a personal thing, but don't try to deny the fact that she's big. Good for her tho, she's a beast.

Is this serious?
    She's larger than life: Yes.
    But 'huge'? The newspaper article says she is 5'2" and 115 pounds.
    What am I denying?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    It's depressing that anyone would call a fit woman of normal size "huge." Besides being a tremendous athlete, the woman in question has a very feminine, natural shape.

Personally, I can't lift heavy. Parts of my body just can't take the strain on the joints. But that doesn't mean that other women shouldn't do it.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    For the record, that girl is huge. Whether you're into that or not is a personal thing, but don't try to deny the fact that she's big. Good for her tho, she's a beast.

Huge??

I'd love to be 115lbs Huge.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    Yea this girl is huge... yoked, jacked, ripped, beast mode, whatever you want to call it. I try to keep my arguing with the internet to a minimum, but look at her; if you don't think she's big, you need a new pair of glasses.

samantha_wright_11.jpg

Like I said, good for her.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Also, meet Zoe Pablo Smith, She won bronze in the Olympics in 2010, competed in the Commonwealth Games in London, 2012, also a contender for Rio 2016. And she's only 18.

article-2181053-144A7EA6000005DC-187_634x352.jpg

She wrote a fantastic blog in response to some comments that she got after a documentary about her lifting was shown in the UK.

http://zoepablosmith.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/thanks-but-no-thanks/
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Yea this girl is huge... yoked, jacked, ripped, beast mode, whatever you want to call it. I try to keep my arguing with the internet to a minimum, but look at her; if you don't think she's big, you need a new pair of glasses.

samantha_wright_11.jpg

SHE is not huge, though I will admit that her thighs would typically be considered larger than traditional beauty standards call for. The rest of her seems rather petite though. I would be rather curious about what her measurements are though, I have difficulty gauging proportion on shorter women.

And while you may think her thighs are "too big", it seems kind of silly to pick one body point for reference to call the rest of what is a fairly small person "huge".

BTW, my glasses are on and the prescription is accurate ;)
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    A more flattering picture:

Zoe-Smith-finished-second-007.jpg
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member

samantha_wright_11.jpg

Oh good lord.

Here we go again.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

samantha_wright_11.jpg

Wow, got it in on the first page, huh?

Adding a disclaimer of, "Good for her" after, "Look at her, YOU (anyone disagreeing with you) need glasses if you don't see she is big" doesn't... well... disclaim.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member

L7DGSR0.gif
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member

tumblr_lnfxmvdbxO1qhz3hpo1_500.gif
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    And while you may think her thighs are "too big", it seems kind of silly to pick one body point for reference to call the rest of what is a fairly small person "huge".

BTW, my glasses are on and the prescription is accurate ;)

What I said: she's big
    What you heard: she's too big

Relax...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWOsifEnVXvgJmxIHoGLz2VgGm2V-Xd7V9H8LYAMDVIwBfQ973Uw