Help on how to strength train at home?

Options
missyj1115
missyj1115 Posts: 1,220 Member
I really want to incorporate strength training at home in with my cardio but not sure how to go about doing it!
I am a single mom of a 6 year old so going to a gym is not a luxury that I have at this time. I have been doing
Zumba and the treadmill but feel like I could be doing so much more! I want that toned look and from what I
have been reading is that lifting is how you get there!

So now what.... I have a set of weights 3-10lbs and that's basically it but willing to do what it takes. I just need
someone to point me in the right direction to get started. How do I start, what do I need for equipment, routines
that I should be doing and how often with incorporating my cardio.

I would really appreciate any information you buff fitness fanatics could give me on this!!!

Make it a great day:bigsmile:

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Convict COnditioning

You Are Your Own Gym
  • Narla444
    Narla444 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fitness buff by any stretch!
    But I've been doing the Jillian Michaels videos and wanted something that was more for strength. I've just started doing some of the exercises and found this book had some really interesting information.

You are your own gym - by Mark Lauren
    http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581

I got a copy from the local library.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    you could also do body weight exercises, some good resources are nerdfitness.com, scoobyworkshop.com. also there is a book/app called you are your own gym.

With the dumbbells that you have, you can search for circuit training/bootcamp style vidoes or DVDs that use them.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    If your son has an Xbox 360 with Kinnect or a PS3 with eye toy you can use those !
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Go check out bodybuilding.com I am following Jamie Season 's Livefit plan and I do it at home. I have to improvise sometimes but it works. It is free and when you look at the exercises you will see what kind of equipment is needed. I got myself a Gold 's Gym from Walmart, a barbell with weights and I already had a treadmill.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones is all strength, no cardio

Or maybe find a used copy of P90X?

Women's health.com
    Shape.com
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,139 Member
    Options
    You are certainly getting some good sources for the exercises themselves. I also needed, when I started working out at home, some RULES.

1. If I have not exercised before it is time to make dinner, dinner is late. All exercise must be done by that time, whether it's a cardio or a strength day.

2. No shower may be taken undeserved. Get sweaty or don't shower!

3. Even if it is only a short, half-a*** effort, get in there every day. Your children will learn a ton from your determination, perseverance, beautiful bod, and great mood (AFTER your workout!!).

enjoy!
  • HealthyWarrior
    HealthyWarrior Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Bump. I do tons of cardio at home whether it be walking, wii, eliptical or dvd exercises. I need some strengthening or toning ideas as well.
  • beebop85
    beebop85 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bmp for later :) Good luck!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Got weights already? This is completely free, has links to videos and works really well :)

http://produmbbellworkouts.com/dumbbell-routines/full-body-high-volume/
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    you could also do body weight exercises, some good resources are nerdfitness.com, scoobyworkshop.com. also there is a book/app called you are your own gym.

With the dumbbells that you have, you can search for circuit training/bootcamp style vidoes or DVDs that use them.

booyah - body weight exercises! push-ups, squats, hand stand push ups, dips, planks, walk outs, wall walks...
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thanks, OP, for asking this question. And thanks guys, for the great info.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics (bodyweight exercises). Pushups, pull ups, squats, lunges, tricips dips, mountain climbers, burpees, etc. Use your weights and/or a backpack filled with household items for added weight where appropriate. Resistance bands are also an inexpensive option.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Is there any areas you specifically want to tone, or just general body. Thinking with your limited equipment, your probably best doing body weight exercises like chair step ups, lunges for quads and rump(use dumbells if too easy). Kick backs/ overhead tri's for back of arm. Bent rows or bent lats for back.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    bump for later. :smile:
  • missyj1115
    Options
    Is there any areas you specifically want to tone, or just general body. Thinking with your limited equipment, your probably best doing body weight exercises like chair step ups, lunges for quads and rump(use dumbells if too easy). Kick backs/ overhead tri's for back of arm. Bent rows or bent lats for back.

Absolutely my arms, back, legs & stomach basically everything :laugh: I would be willing to purchase more weights
    or whatever I need within reason to get this done! Thanks for the response!
  • missyj1115
    Options
    Does anyone have a workout routine for strength training that they would like to share with all of us?
    Exercise, how many reps/sets, etc.... Love all these answers defiantly give me something to work on!!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands with big loops :) There are plenty of exercises for those, then incorporate the body weight moves that were linked on here.. That is a great home workout.
  • healthy4heidi
    healthy4heidi Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    This is what someone told be about on Bodybuilder.com

A Simple beginner's Routine
    You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light.

These are the seven exercises you will be starting with.

Squats
    Bench Presses
    Bent-Over Rows
    Overhead Barbell Presses
    Stiff-Legged Deadlifts
    Barbell Curls
    Calf Raises

You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My.fitness bliss.com

You put in the equipment you have and which area you want to work (shoulders, legs, chest) and it shows you your options for exercises and gives the details on how to perform them properly.