Help on how to strength train at home?

Options

Replies

• karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I use Youtube videos. There are tons!! Some with hand weights and some with body weight. All FREE!

Try some you might like them.

PM me if you want specific ones I use.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • susanmarnold
    Options
    Check out ChaLEAN Extreme. Great program for strength training. I think of it as the not so long version for women of P90X! It is great. I have been doing it for 28 days and loving it!
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Definitely need this!
  • 4d9r
    4d9r Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • pitawingnut
    pitawingnut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Kettlenetics with Michelle Khai is a great workout. You can get the Dvds on Amazon pretty cheap and they come with the starter kettlebell so its a very good value. Her videos are an aerobic dancers type workout with the kettlebell weight. You can always pick up a heavier kettlebell once you get comfortable with the excercises and doing them. I love this one cuz it doesn't bulk you up a ton but can really notice helps tone you up some. And its a good total body type of workout.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight workouts. You can do a lot with your bodyweight.

Just do a basic full body workout with one (at first) or two (as you get more advanced) exercise from each of the 4 main exercise familes:
    Upper Body Pushing, Upper Body Pulling, Legs, and Core

- For pushing, work whatever pushup variation is appropriate for your strength level (not too easy, if you can do it, its appropriate)
    - For pullups, work up to being able to do chinups then pullups (there are lots of ways to work up to them, google around and find the best path for you).
    - For legs, work up to being able to do single leg squats (pistols). (again, there are lots of ways, google will help find the best path for you).
    - For the core, there are a million different easy to find exercises, core work has oversaturated the fitness industry. Try to do as hard of exercises as you can.

Always be trying to work toward doing something harder, adding reps/time to what you are doing, and improving your form. This is how you progress and get stronger with bodyweight, as opposed to stacking plates on the bar.

This is excellent and is the program I follow at home.

My favourite assistance for pullups is to sling a couple of resistance bands on your pull-up bar and drop one knee into the sling to give some assistance to your upward pull. You can then turn the downward movement into a negative by dropping your knee out of the resistance band.

Bodyweight exerises are pretty much limitless if you learn to change things up to keep progressing resistance.
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've been using JM videos and the Nike training app (more so the JM lately). We'll be setting up our home gym of free weights and machines this weekend though, can't wait!
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Get a good video like from Karen Voight or Corey Everson.
  • chica6578
    chica6578 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump for all the cool websites!
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    lots of useful info :)
  • kathendo1984
    Options
    bumping for later :-)
  • lauraellie10
    lauraellie10 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Great info thanks x
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    excellent advice on here, bumping for again :)
  • nik2710
    nik2710 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    •An empty gym bag
    •Two empty water jugs
    •Dirt, sand, or kitty litter

Use the dirt, sand, or litter to increase the weight of the gym bag and the water jugs. Only fill them a little to start, since filling them up completely may make them too heavy. Once it becomes easy to do these exercises, you can increase the weight by filling them even more.
    Single Leg Split Squat
    Deadlift
    Kettlebell
    Overhead Sqaut
    Hammer Curls
    Jump Sqauts
    Overhead Press
    Chair dips

Read more: http://www.moneycrashers.com/strength-training-exercises-women/#ixzz2RncSHZtd

On here they explain it all and its brilliant I swear.
  • pagermain
    pagermain Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bodymax18
    bodymax18 Posts: 1
    Options
    Or you could do what Jillian Michaels really does, join a gym