Help on how to strength train at home?

Options

Replies

• JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I work out at home.

I have DBs from 3lb to 35lb

I also have a weighted bench for Leg/Bench press work outs.

I got all my equipment at Walmart =)
  • mrdexter1
    mrdexter1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    you could always try this with a partner ( around 2 minutes in)

and if you want more weight put some pants on them !!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3OlWnWz_1w
  • JamieRebecca23
    Options
    bump.. i really want to get into lifting. this is a great post. my husband has a weight bench... i just have no idea how to use it and i'm fairly certain he doesn't really either...lol
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Bump again!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Resistance Bands
  • wswilliams67
    Options
    Or you could do what Jillian Michaels really does, join a gym

I LOL'd
  • wswilliams67
    Options
  • HikeThatMountain
    Options
    Bumping, thank you for the main question and all the information given!! Also needed here.
  • dtdam
    dtdam Posts: 20
    Options
    Great thread and GREAT ideas !!! Keep 'em coming please......currently have access to an on-site gym at work, but this could be changing quickly, so want to ensure my workouts don't suffer..
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TinaReinholz
    Options
    Bumping to follow!
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I follow Jamie Eason´s at Bodybuilding.com. Different workouts for everyday of the week to follow, a complete 12 week program, really nice explanation with video of each exercise. I am in the same case as you (with 2 very little ones at home all the day so no chance to go to the gym) I have adapted all the exercises for dumbbells, really easily, she is got also the nutrition part going with it if you are really interested, overall a really complete program to follow ( I am on my 4th round of the program now).
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I personally love bodyweight circuits....I'm now starting to get back into fitness, after many years hiatus (2 back surgeries will do that to you).....

I decided to do a challenge that focuses on the "big 3" and adds a small amount of core. I'm really only doing tho to re-condition myself a little before I start trying to lift again (I'm pretty scared of lifting right now until I get my lower back and supporting muscles in a bit better shape)....

I decided to the "100" challenges for the big 3...it works you up to 100 consecutive pushups...200 consecutive bodyweight squats...30 consecutive pullups....200 consecutive (30-35 degree situps)...Once I'm done with that, I'll most likely start on the stronglifts 5x5 routine, I read it entirely and like the setup.
  • oceanblue6
    oceanblue6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump-- these are great suggestions for me as well.
  • agstone1
    agstone1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh My Goodness! I REALLY needed to see your "Rules". Gonna borrow them for myself. :happy:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend bodyweight training if those are the only weights you have. You will need a pullup bar. You can pick one up for $20 on amazon.com. They mount in your doorframe and you can take them down easily when not in use.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I follow Jamie Eason´s at Bodybuilding.com. Different workouts for everyday of the week to follow, a complete 12 week program, really nice explanation with video of each exercise. I am in the same case as you (with 2 very little ones at home all the day so no chance to go to the gym) I have adapted all the exercises for dumbbells, really easily, she is got also the nutrition part going with it if you are really interested, overall a really complete program to follow ( I am on my 4th round of the program now).

I did LiveFit..its a great starter program =) Good job! Keep up the great work. Jamie is an amazing person. She is really sweet too!
  • ajcrain
    ajcrain Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anyamb
    anyamb Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump